Can I use a dropcord in the pool?

How about 220-240? That's the voltage in germany, I read.

Reply to
Bob F

No, that's the voltage in Europe. I know.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I'd say that someone dumb enough to do what was shown in the photo is likely dumb enough to grab the wet wire. Aside from that, endorsing this practice by saying "It's not a problem", ignores other very obvious risks. Like having one foot in the pool, the other on earth while getting in. Or to grab a beer can being handed to them by someone standing next to the pool. Or to grab some nearby metal outside the pool. Or how about if there happens to be a tiny leak in the pool under a persons foot?

And endorsing this by saying "It's not a problem", assumes everyone in and around the pool knows the rules of current flow, remembers those rules while consuming a dozen beers, and doesn't make some simple mistakes. How about the 8 year old kid who gets into the pool, while no one is looking?

de quoted text -

Reply to
trader4

What you don't know is that it was the wifes idea. Lou

Reply to
Lou

Mine, too. I have never been to Europe, but she has extensively. I saw the appliance adapters and asked what they were for, hence, I know.

Steve ;-)

Reply to
SteveB

snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@barrow.com:

You need to learn just a little bit about AC circuits. Where exactly is neutral wire connected? Might the water be in contact with the neutral at some point? Might the water be in contact with the ground at some point. Might someone be getting in or out of the pool at some point? Might someone standing outside the pool hand something to someone in the pool?

Of course it is staged - no one with any sense at all (common or otherwise) would pull this type of stunt. Maybe you think its ok but that just means you have no sense at all.

Reply to
Clark

Maybe the problem is that I've got several decades of experience...

Sure. Now, how do *you* get yourself between the that contact and the point where it contacts the hot lead? That's the only way you will form any kind of a complete circuit.

So?

So?

I've seen essentially the same thing done, live.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com:

And maybe the problem is you have zero experience with AC circuits. It's fairly obvious to me that you have no experience at all.

Draw the possible paths. Take your time. I'm sure you'll be able to answer your own question if you just stop and think for a minute.

You're the one who claimed the water wasn't grounded. I've pointed out several ways the water could be grounded. Do try to keep up.

And your baseless claim somehow makes it not staged? Of course it doesn't. It was quite obviously staged for some pictures to put on the internet. Next up is idiots like you claiming it's ok to do it.

Reply to
Clark

Keep trying, but *you* are not making sense.

Try drawing a diagram showing the current density in any circuit you can think of to match that example. Then you'll get the picture.

And if the water is "in contact with the ground at some point", do you think that will cause a complete circuit through any individual standing in that water??? How?

What do you think the relative resistance of tap water is per say 5 linear feet?

What you haven't pointed out is how anyone is necessarily going to be part of a circuit that will carry more than perhaps microamps.

Well, I did *not* say it was "ok to do it". I certainly would not recommend that *you* try it! :-)

For someone who knows what they're doing, it isn't exactly dangerous. But for you it clearly would be.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

Excuse me but, yes you did say it was OK when you posted this:

"Not a problem. (Actually, I've set up something fairly similar to that, and been in the water.)

There is no circuit path through the water, or through any person in the water (unless you're dumb enough to go up there and grab onto a wet wire). "

As Clark has pointed out to you, there are many possible paths for current flow that could kill someone if they do this. People typically get in a pool like this one leg at a time. That gives you one foot on earth, one in the pool. Or someone standing outside the pool could hand a person in the pool another beer can, completing a path. Or someone in the pool could reach out and touch some metal outside the pool that is earthed. Any of those together with the hot being in contact with the pool water could give you enough current to kill someone, depending on how close the person was to the hot lead that was in contact with water, how much surface area was involved, etc.

The fact that you set up this kind of thing and got in the water speaks volumes. Maybe you want to take these kinds of risks, but that doesn't make it "OK" I'd submit that if someone set up what was pictured and encouraged people to get in or told them it was OK and it resulted in a fatality, they may very well face criminal charges.

de quoted text -

Reply to
trader4

Nothing there says anything about it being "ok to do it" for dummies.

He hasn't pointed out one yet. He *has* demonstrated that he doesn't understand circuits though.

You finally hit one that probably would be dangerous. Grabbing onto a grounded metal object would not be a smart thing to do.

A rather large bit of "depends"...

And if it didn't, they wouldn't.

The risk would be much greater that you'll die in a car accident from home to this place, or heading back home afterwards.

Does that make the person who invited you a criminal too?

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

Drop a cord and see if anyone gets electrocuted.

Reply to
Me

snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com:

Floyd you were assigned the excercise and I see that you cannot complete it. Thank you for proving my point that you lack the experience to even begin to understand the problem. Do try to keep up rather than trying to avoid real understanding. Okay?

It's called the path of least resistance. You really don't understand basic electric theory do you?

[snip the rest of your blather]

Floyd you've got a lot of work to do on this problem. Frankly I doubt you have the basic skills to solve it in a satisfactory manner. Too bad for you. Please feel free to jump in any electrified pool you may find. After all you know it's not staged and must be perfectly safe. Have fun and good luck!

Reply to
Clark

According to a :

You can tell from the picture whether the power bar was _ever_ plugged in? I can't.

The only evidence that there may have ever been power anywhere near it is the pump pack, and that doesn't appear to be plugged in, and there doesn't appear to be a power cord near it.

The whole sequence is about some guys clowning around. The power bar is just more of the same.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Statements like that get really funny when we get into the details down below.

And you don't seem to have *any* idea where the least resistance is. It is rather obvious that you have never done any of the basic exercises for the study of this type of problem.

A bit hilarious when you claim someone else doesn't understand electric theory.

Here's an idea for you. Set up a grid of dots on paper,

1/4 inch apart. Make it a 10 columns with 11 rows grid. Now assume that between each point there is a resistance of 1 Ohm. Apply 1 volt between columns 5 and 6 of the 6th row. Calculate the current flow between each and every point on the 1st column, the last column, the top row and the bottom row.

You'll start to get an idea why your "electrified pool" isn't actually as dangerous as you think.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

Why do that have pictures of toast on the grill in the center of the pool?

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

Probably fake. No way to tell if it's actually plugged in.

Reply to
Larry Bud

They appear drunk enough to do stupid stuff like this.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

All of the above would give a dangerous situation if the cord was actually plugged in and in contact with the water.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com:

In other words you have no answer. That's about what I expected.

Son, you don't even have the first clue about what I think. Why on Earth would you make such claims?

As for your example, it's obvious that you have no clue about power systems. One volt? Ha! only an imbicile like you would use a low voltage system to prove a point about household electricity safety.

When you have something useful to post, please do so. Otherwise, go back to your high school studies and try to learn something. Okay?

Reply to
Clark