Can I use a dropcord in the pool?

Page 2 of 5
On Jan 28, 9:36�am, snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:

awhile ago there was a photo of a workman standing on a ladder in a commercial pool drilling into the cieling.........
a isolation transformer would be a excellent move to increase safety

You can tell from the picture whether the power bar was _ever_ plugged in? I can't.
The only evidence that there may have ever been power anywhere near it is the pump pack, and that doesn't appear to be plugged in, and there doesn't appear to be a power cord near it.
The whole sequence is about some guys clowning around. The power bar is just more of the same.
--
Chris Lewis,

snipped-for-privacy@nortelnetworks.com (Chris Lewis) wrote:

Why do that have pictures of toast on the grill in the center of the pool?
--
Floyd L. Davidson <http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com

You need to learn just a little bit about AC circuits. Where exactly is neutral wire connected? Might the water be in contact with the neutral at some point? Might the water be in contact with the ground at some point. Might someone be getting in or out of the pool at some point? Might someone standing outside the pool hand something to someone in the pool?
Of course it is staged - no one with any sense at all (common or otherwise) would pull this type of stunt. Maybe you think its ok but that just means you have no sense at all.
--
---
there should be a "sig" here

Maybe the problem is that I've got several decades of experience...

Sure. Now, how do *you* get yourself between the that contact and the point where it contacts the hot lead? That's the only way you will form any kind of a complete circuit.

So?
So?
I've seen essentially the same thing done, live.
--
Floyd L. Davidson <http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com
snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote in

fairly obvious to me that you have no experience at all.

Draw the possible paths. Take your time. I'm sure you'll be able to answer your own question if you just stop and think for a minute.

You're the one who claimed the water wasn't grounded. I've pointed out several ways the water could be grounded. Do try to keep up.

It was quite obviously staged for some pictures to put on the internet. Next up is idiots like you claiming it's ok to do it.
--
---
there should be a "sig" here

Keep trying, but *you* are not making sense.
Try drawing a diagram showing the current density in any circuit you can think of to match that example. Then you'll get the picture.

And if the water is "in contact with the ground at some point", do you think that will cause a complete circuit through any individual standing in that water??? How?
What do you think the relative resistance of tap water is per say 5 linear feet?
What you haven't pointed out is how anyone is necessarily going to be part of a circuit that will carry more than perhaps microamps.

Well, I did *not* say it was "ok to do it". I certainly would not recommend that *you* try it! :-)
For someone who knows what they're doing, it isn't exactly dangerous. But for you it clearly would be.
--
Floyd L. Davidson <http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com
On Jan 29, 11:19pm, snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:

Nothing there says anything about it being "ok to do it" for dummies.

He hasn't pointed out one yet. He *has* demonstrated that he doesn't understand circuits though.

You finally hit one that probably would be dangerous. Grabbing onto a grounded metal object would not be a smart thing to do.

A rather large bit of "depends"...

And if it didn't, they wouldn't.
The risk would be much greater that you'll die in a car accident from home to this place, or heading back home afterwards.
Does that make the person who invited you a criminal too?
--
Floyd L. Davidson <http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

All of the above would give a dangerous situation if the cord was actually plugged in and in contact with the water.

I'm sure you think so, but it just isn't true.
--
Floyd L. Davidson <http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com
Drop a cord and see if anyone gets electrocuted.
snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote in wrote:

Floyd you were assigned the excercise and I see that you cannot complete it. Thank you for proving my point that you lack the experience to even begin to understand the problem. Do try to keep up rather than trying to avoid real understanding. Okay?

It's called the path of least resistance. You really don't understand basic electric theory do you?

Floyd you've got a lot of work to do on this problem. Frankly I doubt you have the basic skills to solve it in a satisfactory manner. Too bad for you. Please feel free to jump in any electrified pool you may find. After all you know it's not staged and must be perfectly safe. Have fun and good luck!
--
---
there should be a "sig" here

Statements like that get really funny when we get into the details down below.

And you don't seem to have *any* idea where the least resistance is. It is rather obvious that you have never done any of the basic exercises for the study of this type of problem.
A bit hilarious when you claim someone else doesn't understand electric theory.
Here's an idea for you. Set up a grid of dots on paper, 1/4 inch apart. Make it a 10 columns with 11 rows grid. Now assume that between each point there is a resistance of 1 Ohm. Apply 1 volt between columns 5 and 6 of the 6th row. Calculate the current flow between each and every point on the 1st column, the last column, the top row and the bottom row.
You'll start to get an idea why your "electrified pool" isn't actually as dangerous as you think.
--
Floyd L. Davidson <http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com
snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote in wrote:

In other words you have no answer. That's about what I expected.

would you make such claims?
As for your example, it's obvious that you have no clue about power systems. One volt? Ha! only an imbicile like you would use a low voltage system to prove a point about household electricity safety.
When you have something useful to post, please do so. Otherwise, go back to your high school studies and try to learn something. Okay?
--
---
there should be a "sig" here

I just gave you the answer. You don't understand it.
Each of your mistatements is funnier though!

If what you've been saying is not what you think, then why are you repeatedly saying it? We do have clue here about what you think, because you keep telling us what it is. How could anyone miss?
The difficulty is getting you to understand the topic.
Things like bringing up "path of least resistance", and then claiming that a path with many megohms of resistance is significant. It's not hard to see what you think, and to realize that you just do not understand the example before you.
Didn't you ever see power company linemen working on hot wires in the rain? Think about it!

It's a standard exercise for Electrical Engineering studies. Only an ignorant person would not realize that doing it at 1 volt makes the problem easier to calculate, and that interpolating it to "household electricity" simply requires multiplying by 120, 240, or whatever value you want it to be.
It won't make any difference, because the point is that when you determine where that "path of least resistance" is, one of the things you find is that it is *not* out there on the periphery.

I probably did understand more about that when I was in HS than you do now. But I'm a retired old fart, with a lot of very gray whiskers.
--
Floyd L. Davidson <http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com
snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote in (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:

It's clear that you don't have a clue about what I think because you continue to argue a lost cause. QED.

Not at all son. The topic is that the photo was staged and you claimed otherwise. You are clearly wrong.

Horseshit. There is a hell of a lot of difference between not understanding and not accepting your misdirection. You lost any credibility when you said the photo wasn't staged and no matter how much you whine about it now you are still wrong.

You miss my point entirely while smearing egg all over your face. Your ignorant claim that "doing it at 1 volt makes the problem easier to calculate" shows that you've never learned algebra. Floyd, it doesn't matter if you multiply by your desired current at the beginning or end of the problem, the calculations are exactly the same.

Again, you miss the point entirely. I told you to draw the paths. You pick a particular example that doesn't describe the danger. Your example proves nothing about the total system safety for the case in point. Got it?

some rudimentary writing skill so you are classified as high school. However your claim to be better than your correspondent does knock you down a notch to junior high. Sorry about that.
Maybe you should try to learn something rather than spouting off with ludicrous claims. Now, junior high boy, go try to learn something before you make more ridiculous claims about whether or not a photo is staged.
--
---
there should be a "sig" here

It seems that all you can do is post gratuitious personal insults; but the topic of this thread is about electricity, and you don't seem to have even the most basic understanding of how it works.
You probably think if someone is sitting in the bathtub and drops an electric hair dry, plugged in and working, into the water that they will be electrocuted... and who knows how many other myths!
Whatever, when you figure out that the problem I gave you is not solved with algrebra, and that it is indeed a lot easier to work with using 1 volt and 1 ohm, come back and I'll teach you a few other neat things about electricity.
In the mean time, keep your day job, because electrical theory is never going to pay your bills. (Not that you couldn't be trained to wire a house by rote and by note; but someone else is going to have to set the rules.)
--
Floyd L. Davidson <http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com
On Feb 3, 1:34pm, snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:

Appropriately signed, Idiot.
But when you have to go back a quarter of a century to find an example where that is claimed, maybe the claim isn't so good.
Regardless, two children... who don't know enough to just pick it up and throw it out. Or to just step out, and probably aren't big enough to do that without grabbing onto something... like the water spigot (which in fact will get you electrocuted).
But the average adult who has that experience survives without even getting a tingle from it.