Can I cut the branches of my neighbors trees?

Page 1 of 5
My neighbor has trees that hang all over my fence and more leaves fall in my yard then in his. I have to rake them every hour if I want them gone. Can I have a tree guy come in and cut the ones that hang over and send him the bill? I have sent him countless letters asking him to do something but have got no response. What are my options in the matter does anyone know?
John

Although in my town, it's legal for a neighbor to cut overhanging branches, I would be disproportionately pissed off if a neighbor did that without first having a conversation. Have you knocked on your neighbor's door and asked for his/her opinion?
Also: Why do so many leaves fall on your side? Prevailing wind?
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

I am not at this home many months of the year and the fall is the only time when the leaves fall. I have had a kid take care of the lawn during the summer but now is off season with nothing to cut. I did have the cleaning done but now I am the one that is left as my usual helper is gone. I first decided to drop off a note and keep a copy but after several left in his mail box and several actually delivered by the US Mail I assume I am being ignored. I only get pissed when I am in the middle of raking and think of dropping the leaves off on his front steps along with some dog crap just to make my point.
clipped

It would be a darn strange looking neighborhood if no trees spread beyond the property line :o) If the leaves bug you so much, buy a lot in the desert.
Norminn wrote:

Where is all this land you guys seem reoccupied with? It seems that there are more than a few that would choose to run away and hide rather than face things straight on. Do you even vote at election time or are you at that place in the sand?
John wrote:

It isn't realistic to expect a lawn with trees nearby to be free of leaves, especially at this time of year. And it is a very bad reason to risk alienating a neighbor. You might be happier either using a mulching mower with a pickup, or blow leaves onto a tarp and dispose of them. Leaf blower is easier than raking, but raking is good exercise if you have a healthy back :o) You might also consider changing your landscape to be leaf friendly - plant a bank of shrubs and just blow the leaves into the shrub area for mulch. Azaleas love oak leaves. Other acid loving shrubs, like rhododendron, might be a good choice and it makes a good place for leaves.
John wrote:

Trees shed leaves. Dogs get fleas. Cats kill birds. Grass needs to be mowed. It gets dark at night. Rain comes down. Children skin their knees. Babies cry. Coyotes howl. The tide comes in and goes out.
It's the FREAKIN' world!
They are YOUR leaves and HIS tree.
Get used to it.

It's not just the leaves. When the tree falls on your house, it's your problem, not his. Your insurance will have to pay for the damage.
Bob
John wrote:

Hi, I did it after mentioning to neighbor. He did not seem to bother with it. Was shading my gazebo real bad.

You must be busy!
-- Oren
"I wouldn't even be here if my support group hadn't beaten me up."
Oren wrote:

No, they are never gone. On a good day I could rake continually all day. Like shoveling snow in a blizzard.
According to what I have heard on this group and my own knowledge.
You own everything from the fence up so you can trim all you want as long it doesn't harm the tree or maybe make it look stupid. The leaves that fall on your side are yours, if it was a fruit tree you would own the fruit.
Here's the bad part for you, you can't charge him for the trimming.

Cliff Hartle wrote:

Oh they would look pretty bad trimmed. Take my word for it. Not to mention the job it would be as they have really grown rather tall. I actually feel sorry for the trees more than anything. Even if I did trim from the fence straight up the leaves on his side would still end up blowing off and landing on my lawn. They are actually beautiful trees this time of year. Now that I think of it there really doesn't seem like there is anything that can be done short of removing them entirely.

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 17:59:27 -0400, John wrote:

You can cut the branches on your side without his consent because they "belong" to you.
However, you cannot also charge him if you do not get written or verbal consent from him. You are improving your own property, why should he have to pay for it?
--
It\'s amazing what a man can accomplish when he\'s not worried about who will
get the credit.

True. Just don't kill the tree next door.
-- Oren
"I wouldn't even be here if my support group hadn't beaten me up."

... so I guess painting the cut ends with Garlon would be wrong ;-)
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Maybe I can throw the limbs over the fence. If I start with one at a time I might get some reaction. If I did that and they are my limbs because they are over my land then could he have me charged with littering?

It is possible.
Bob
Oren wrote:

In my area, you trim what is over your own property. I haven't read the code in a while, but I think there is something that says you cannot mutilate a tree - cut off all branches on one side, etc. Some neighborhoods have special historic trees, etc., so be sure that there isn't some special protection.
Is that the only tree that drops leaves in your yard?
Norminn wrote:

There are 6 large trees that drop leaves. I can remember when they were very small and the ol' lady never said a word.