Can I cut the branches of my neighbors trees?

Reread what he posted. He maintains his property and the neighbor could care less about even cutting their grass. So it would seem that the leaves are just the tip of the iceberg. If someone lives in an urban environment they agree to be like the others in the area including maintaining their surroundings. The neighbor is the one who doesn't know how to play well with others.

Reply to
George

This is what he posted:

"My neighbor has trees that hang all over my fence and more leaves fall in my yard then in his. I have to rake them every hour if I want them gone. Can I have a tree guy come in and cut the ones that hang over and send him the bill? I have sent him countless letters asking him to do something but have got no response. What are my options in the matter does anyone know?

John "

He maintains his property and the neighbor could

If someone lives in an urban

Oh, really, is that how it works in your area? Is that a new law? Did you sign such an agreement when you bought your house? If I buy a house and the neighborhood happens to be overwhelmingly Protestant, must I convert? Or the neighbors let their 5 year olds play in the middle of the street. Must I do that too? If I'm balck and move into a white neighborhood, well, I guess that would be a real tough one.

The neighbor is the one who doesn't know

Before deciding who is right and who is wrong, you better go check the law, instead of making an ass of yourself like the OP. This isn't anything new and has been settled for hundreds of years. Some areas could have differing laws, but for most of the US you'll almost certainly find:

1 - The leaves are considered part of nature, can blow anywhere and the neighbor isn't responsible for cleaning them off the OP's yard or for trimming the overhanging branches. 2 - If the OP wants to trim the branches back, he can to the property line, at his own expense. Whether that makes any sense to do is an entirely different question.
Reply to
trader4

You know exactly what I meant and are just presenting an specious argument trying to discredit what I wrote.

Reply to
George

The point I was trying to get across is maybe it isn't the message, it's your delivery method. It ended up costing my neighbor $2200 to remove 3 large oak trees that were covering my house. He doesn't even live next door to me. It's an empty lot. I approached him, and stated the problem and offered him a solution that I was willing to help him pay part of the cost. Fortunately for me he paid the entire bill. I'm a nice guy too, but if you came to me like you are coming across in this news group there is NO way I would want to work with you either.

Reply to
jimmyDahGeek

Once more with feeling, John: find out if you are legally allowed to trim the tree limbs to the property line. Like Trader4 says, you likely are, but really should check first. CAVEAT: you cannot trim so much that the tree dies as a result.

Ignore your neighbor: he probably has no legal responsibility for what happens on your property if the law allows you to trim the limbs. Just trim them yourself and be done with it, if it makes you happy.

But I agree, it probably won't reduce the leaf output a whole lot, so wouldn't your energies be better spent just managing the leaves? They're a feature of the property, and if you leave the limbs (assuming they're not too low), the tree helps the property look even better, which will make it easier to sell when the mother-in-law is ready to move out. Take the long view. There are worse problems than this given that your property no doubt looks a lot better than the neighbor's.

Reply to
KLS

I'm sure you can.

Can, being defined as thephysical ability to do something. However, this action may be illegal. You may be arrested, and charged. You might also be liable for damages. The tree guy may demand payment from you, and then you can get reimbursed from the neighbor. You may not ever get reimbursed from the neighbors.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon (on backup com

Yes, I know exactly what you meant. If I was your neighbor, you'd expect me to come over and clean off the leaves from my trees that wind up on your lawn, because you're clueless both about the law and common practice.

Reply to
trader4

Wow! I'm completely amazed that you found someone to marry you even with all your OCD ticks!

Reply to
<h>

Best to come to an accord with your neighbor without resorting to law. However, if you must, you should check out:

Neighbor Law: Fences, Trees, Boundaries & Noise

Also, your local laws may differ.

Reply to
M Q

John .. give it up and enjoy the experience.

Neighbors who start this type of discussion are likely the ones who don&#39;t do squat on their own property. You are not one of those are you?

Enjoy the tree and the beauty.

Reply to
Jacque Asse

You missed the point. They are your branches, so you bear the cost of removing them.

Reply to
Rocinante

Simple solution:

Move the MIL into your house.

You&#39;ll soon forget about the leaf problem and likely wish you&#39;d never been born.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I got the point if indeed this is the case in that community. If there were a branch to fall from that tree onto a car in the driveway and cause damage maybe they would not be my branches. That is my point. Maybe there is a cutoff as to how much of a nuisance the issue is. If there is one small tree or there are 6 there is definitely a big difference. At some point anyone would get tired of cleaning the yard and maybe just decide to let one basket full turn into several. Like I stated it is to a point where when wet they are a hazard.

Reply to
John

Where does it say I made any demands fool? You are the one that chooses to remain ignorant.

Reply to
John

I am not and never was trying to make a federal case of this simple search for clues as to how others have dealt with this. All I am saying is that when I am unable to attend to this the old lady is the main one that it bothers. If she were to slip and fall on slippery leaves that have taken over her walk way one might look at this in a different light. She still drives her car and still likes to get around without having to deal with what otherwise would be nothing and I still have to find a way to make everyone happy.

I know it is a lazy Sunday and obviously many have nothing better to do and I was not anticipating this would grow to a full blown major problem that so many would feel compelled to offer so many opinions with never personally having to deal with it themselves.

Reply to
John

I don&#39;t even think you are capable of keeping up. Good luck.

Reply to
John

In my area, you trim what is over your own property. I haven&#39;t read the code in a while, but I think there is something that says you cannot mutilate a tree - cut off all branches on one side, etc. Some neighborhoods have special historic trees, etc., so be sure that there isn&#39;t some special protection.

Is that the only tree that drops leaves in your yard?

Reply to
Norminn

Honey, suppose it snows, and this little old lady slips and falls? Who you gonna blame? Hello???

I&#39;m not unsympathetic to your situation as my parents are very close to your mother-in-law&#39;s age. I also understand the parameters here and work within them.

Reply to
KLS

clipped

It would be a darn strange looking neighborhood if no trees spread beyond the property line :o) If the leaves bug you so much, buy a lot in the desert.

Reply to
Norminn

My neighbors trees hang over to my property too. I cut all branches that get in my way during mowing. The trees on my property get cut all the way back to the trunk. The trees on any neighbor&#39;s property get cut back to the property line (or plane). I know that some local governments (or associations) require permission to cut any tree, on your property or not. Rake your leaves once a week, make a compost pile. If you hate raking, a backpack blower may make your life a little easier. In any event, not good idea to piss off a neighbor.

Reply to
Phisherman