Can I cut the branches of my neighbors trees?

You seem to be a bit overly concerned. What is your problem other than being a troll?

Reply to
John

The really stupid ones don't even know when they are being played with. I already know where you fit in this thread. I never pretended to take usenet all that serious but you sure seem to.

Reply to
John

So, stop touching yourself and get back to raking leaves.

What you got here was free.

-- Oren

"I wouldn't even be here if my support group hadn't beaten me up."

Reply to
Oren

Maybe maybe maybe maybe.

Tomorrow is Monday. Is it safe to assume you will call the town office, eliminate maybe, and let us know what you found out?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

That wasn't in your original post. Check the timestamps -- you hadn't said anything at all about that when I first posted, but you *had* said plenty to convince me that you're the kind of person who shouldn't have any neighbors.

And obviously you are not capable of *stating* all the facts at the beginning.

Yep, I have too: some obnoxious d*****ad comes along asking for advice, then tells everyone who gives him advice that they're wrong. Possibly you'll recognize yourself here... but probably you won't.

Reply to
Doug Miller

You obviously don't get the point at all. In every jurisdiction I've ever heard of, the neighbor HAS NO RESPONSIBILITY to do anything about healthy tree limbs that hang over the property line. No one said you sent the neighbor threatening mail. But did you go over and try to talk to the neighbor instead of sending mail asking him to do something about that which he is not reponsible for? You didn't understand the law or common practice, yet assumed that somehow it's the neighbors issue. You were wrong.

It would be like someone across the street sending me a letter to pay for body damage on their car, because they skidded on leaves in the street from my tree while backing out of their driveway and hit something. Do you think I'd respond favorably, or even at all, if I got that kind of letter in the mail?

It seems that many on this group are happy to react

And sending letters to neighbors to fix a problem that isn't theirs to begin with is positive? I'd say positive would be figuring out if the trees are attractive, add value to YOUR property, sheild you from a neighbor that you don't get along with, provide shade, and that even if you trim them, you're still going to have lots of leaves, etc. BTW, in my experience, a few wet leaves are more dangerous as far as slipping than a pile 3 inchs thick. So, I fail to see how removing some limbs are going to make a positive impact if that is your main concern.

Reply to
trader4

You can trim it, or have it trimmed, but not at his expense.

Steve Barker LT

It isn't realistic to expect a lawn with trees nearby to be free of leaves, especially at this time of year. And it is a very bad reason to risk alienating a neighbor. You might be happier either using a mulching mower with a pickup, or blow leaves onto a tarp and dispose of them. Leaf blower is easier than raking, but raking is good exercise if you have a healthy back :o) You might also consider changing your landscape to be leaf friendly - plant a bank of shrubs and just blow the leaves into the shrub area for mulch. Azaleas love oak leaves. Other acid loving shrubs, like rhododendron, might be a good choice and it makes a good place for leaves.

Reply to
Norminn

Trees shed leaves. Dogs get fleas. Cats kill birds. Grass needs to be mowed. It gets dark at night. Rain comes down. Children skin their knees. Babies cry. Coyotes howl. The tide comes in and goes out.

It's the FREAKIN' world!

They are YOUR leaves and HIS tree.

Get used to it.

Reply to
HeyBub

Oren wrote: .

Send letters to the neighbors.

Reply to
HeyBub

Hmm, and here I was thinking I was offering you some useful advice, since you did ask for some. Wow. Have you done ANYTHING else today except post on this thread. Get a life, dude. PLONK!!

Reply to
tmclone

It won't work, we were all next door at the other neighbor's party.

But I do cut their branches now and then :-/

-- Oren

"Painting is the art of protecting flat surfaces from the weather and exposing them to the critics."

Reply to
Oren

It's not just the leaves. When the tree falls on your house, it's your problem, not his. Your insurance will have to pay for the damage.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

You are totally clueless. What you are dealing with is reality. Your neighbor has no legal responsibility for leaves that fall in your yard - by law. You have no case. Get over it.

If your thoughts were law, every tree in the city would have to be cut down.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

It is possible.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Actually 3 months earlier another tree on his lot that did NOT hang over my property fell and hit my house. It damaged the roof and siding and I didn't even say a word to him about it. My concern was the three other trees hanging over my house. I WAS AWARE that anything that hangs over the property line is mine. When I approached him I asked if he would mind if I Paid to have the trees trimmed that were hanging over my house OR if he would mind if we split the cost in half to have them removed. I believe that it WAS due to my approach ( in a non threating manner and giving him option) was why he was willing to work with me and have the trees removed at his expense. He didn't have to do anything. I'm sure that if I had approached him angry and firing bullets about taking care of his #@*! trees, I would not have gotten the response that I received.

Reply to
jimmyDahGeek

I first thought you were a troll, since you seem to get some pleasure from ignoring the good advice already posted and getting into name calling contests.

First, only a really ignorant person would seek what is is essence legal advice on usenet. Everyone here is anonymous, and no one has any discernible credentials to give such advice. You apparently do not understand that the law varies from place to place, and that what someone has done in one place legally may, in another place, be contrary to the law. Even the old common law advice that you can do anything to anything within your airspace is no longer reliable, as many jurisdictions now have restrictions, particularly on trimming or removing trees. The best advice you have received and ignored is to contact your local authorities to find out what you can do; contacting a competent lawyer would be even better, as the local authorities are often not well educated and simply tell you what their books say you can or cannot do; their books may, of course, not agree with the law, but they would no know that.

You have been, if I read this thread accurately, somewhat dishonest when you describe this as your property; now you seem to say that it is your mother-in-law's property. Which is it? If it is hers then you are not the owner and have no rights to do anything, which may be why no one responds to your correspondence. Let me say that again, as you appear intent on not getting anything that doesn't agree with your preconceptions. If you are not the owner of the property, you have no rights to do anything to the property. If you have been retained by the owner, that is something else, but you don't give any indication that you are anything but a relative helping her out. I suspect you won't do anything to resolve this alleged problem, but will just continue babbling until usenet goes out of existence, so I am placing you on auto-flush, hoping to never again see your postings.

Reply to
Not

AT the risk of starting another flaming long thread, I can't help but wonder what the issue is with the old lady doing some yard work? My grandfather and grandmother raked leaves and took care of a large property that they lived on well into their 80s. Ronald Regan was chopping wood, clearing brush, and building fences into his 80s as well. It's widely recognized that regular excercise is good for anyone, as long as they don't over do it. If your big leaf problem with the neighbor is an area 100 X 30 and a little old lady raked a bit of it each day, she'd get some excercise and the leaf problem goes away.

Does she have some medical problem that a Dr says makes modest excercise unhealthy? Or is you wanting her to stop doing yard work just a control issue?

Reply to
trader4

You've got it. The OP is a total OCD nutcase, and instead of doing anything useful about the problem, he comes here and whines. He wants everyone to tell him that his neighbor is wrong and "must" do something about the trees. The trees aren't the problem, the OP is. All he has to do is hire a kid to rake the leaves if his MIL is not able to do so herself. No, instead he drives 50 miles so he can rake leaves every hour. He's a complete loon. Just plonk him.

Reply to
<h>

replying to HeyBub, SnaMan wrote: Haha

Reply to