Can I cut the branches of my neighbors trees?

The laws are changing and are different in different localities. SteveB offered the best advise.

RLM

In your post, you did not give a location, so how could anyone from your area give you pertinent advice? So, what's your next step? Ask and take advice on what to do from someone who is a thousand miles away, and whose advice could end you up in jail or court?

It's not too much to handle. Get some pertinent local advice, either from your local authorities, or an attorney in your area.

Are you looking for the right and correct thing to do that will solve your problem and expose you to the least amount of liability, or for the Dirty Harry approach?

If you're looking for the Dirty Harry approach, just shoot his car and set fire to his dog. That should get the ball moving.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Any part of the tree that is on your property is yours to do as you please.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

ryard then in his. I have to rake them every hour if I want them gone. Can I thave a tree guy come in and cut the ones that hang over and send him the bill? I have sent him countless letters asking him to do something but have got no response. What are my options in the matter does anyone know?ngJohn

Reply to
The Freon Cowboy

Because the law is different for trees than for a car that rolls onto your lawn. It's that simple.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You have a reading comprehension problem. Steve correctly explained that the laws where we live may (and probably will be) different from the laws where you live. Everyone here has good suggestions.

Is there a high school nearby? Call and find out if they have a program for matching odd jobs with kids to want to earn some money. Pay a kid to rake the leaves.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Simply trying to get an idea of what people think on usenet. Nothing more nothing less. I am sure examples of what others are doing in other parts of the country have much to do with what can be done anywhere. The idea that this issue is to much to handle is obvious in a few posts and not to be unexpected on any usenet group. If I wanted to make a full blown legal issue out if it I am sure a court would take into consideration what others are doing in such cases. (I did not cross post to any gun groups)

Reply to
John

Yeah, yeah.

But use some common sense.

First, you MUST know that some communities regulate how and whetehr you can "trim" trees that are 100% on your own property.

The SMART thing is to get your neighbor to trim his own tree but offer to "help" him. If that "works" then do nothing else.

Otherwise, proceed with great caution. Tell him (and back up with a letter) what you intend to do and that you are doing it to protect your property.

If you kill his tree (or his tree dies after you have done some "trimming" he may become upset at you. It can cost as much to defend against a silly suit as a justified suit so before you "trim" you should either have an idea of the upper limit of any damages he might claim or have a "slam dunk" legal opinion that your neighbor would have no case if his tree dies and you had even gone so far as to cut all the roots on your side of the line.

If I were betting, I would say you can do what you want on "your side." Utility workers take that approach when the install and maintain overhead and underground utilities.

Reply to
John Gilmer

But utility workers have the legal advantage of an easement that says they can do pretty much whatever they want to on their "area".

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Legal, schmegal. You may have the right to trim the trees but you're leaving yourself open to guerilla retaliation.

You say you're not at this location for much of the year. How'd you like to come back to find the place burned down, or condemned because of rat infestation, or confiscated because pot was growing in the back yard or even covered with graffiti?

You never know what will happen when you piss off a neighbor.

He's sitting over there, 24 hours a day, planning and scheming and devising.

Reply to
HeyBub

Of course. The tree guy is going to send the bill to you, because you hired him. You're perfectly free to send the bill to your neighbor. And he's perfectly free to ignore it, too. And depending on what the law is wherever you are, you may be facing a civil action, or possibly even misdemeanor criminal charges, for trimming a tree that doesn't belong to you.

Move to the desert. You're obviously unsuited for life in any place where you have trees. Or neighbors.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Hmmm.. I had the same problem. I couldn't sleep in my bedroom at night in the fall due to acorns falling on the roof of my house. I called my neighbor and asked him if he would mind if I had the trees cut down and split the cost with him. He said not to worry he would have them removed and he did. It sounds like the problem is not the trees, it's the way you deal and communicate with people. Try a different approach when dealing with him. If that doesn't work, cut off all of the branches that hang over your property. Throw them in a pile in his back yard. Pour a gallon of gas on them and light it. See if that gets his attention. .

Reply to
jimmyDahGeek

Sell the house and move into an apartment. You have no business owning property since you are clearly not mature enough to play well with others.

Reply to
<h>

So? The property has a deed which essentially says the same thing. The owner can&#39;t transfer rights via an easement that he doesn&#39;t have in the first place.

Reply to
John Gilmer

In most areas of the US, you have the right to trim overhanging branches of a tree that is located on your neighbor&#39;s property back to the property line. But you do it at your own expense, unless the neighbor chooses to help pay for it. To be sure legally, you should consult a local lawyer, as some municipalities may have differing laws.

As others have pointed out, there are other considerations. One would be what will it look like after it&#39;s trimmed back? It could very well make your house worth less, because now it looks like hell. How much difference will it make? If you have to blow leaves anyway, and it only reduces it by 25%, is it worth it? Are there any plusses to these branches, like providing shade in the summer, or blocking your view of you neighbor giving you the finger? Is it worth likely getting into a pissing match with the neighbor over this? And how much are you willing to spend? To have tree guys trim significant branches back on 6 large trees isn;t going to be cheap.

You say you sent him countless letters, but did you first go over and try to talk to him? The two things I can tell you for sure are:

1 - If you didn&#39;t try to talk to the neighbor first, that was a big mistake 2 - It&#39;s never the responsibility of the neighbor to trim branches that overhang your property unless there is a safety issue, ie, the tree is dying, the branches are rotten, could fall on your fence, house, etc.
Reply to
trader4

Read other posts where it states the mother-in-law lives there. It has been in the family for many decades and is maintained 100% including the past removal of leaves and branches for some time. I think it is about time the owners of the trees take some responsibility but they have refused to respond to such requests. The 80 year old lady should be rewarded for putting up with ignorance. If it were your mother you would feel differently I am sure. Then again maybe not.

Reply to
John

As I did mention all attempts I have made have fallen on deafness. In the end I will most likely ignore the problem like has been done for some time. I don&#39;t think the guy will remove 6 trees or even allow them to be removed but it is more of a problem then just a few leaves falling on a small area. I am happy to learn that you have a nice guy living next to you.

Reply to
John

The ignorant one here is not the neighbor, it&#39;s you John. You came in here not knowing anything about the law regarding this issue. Yet, you&#39;re sending letters making demands of your neighbor. Don&#39;t you think you should find out what is right and legal BEFORE you start telling neighbors what they must do?

Go check with a lawyer. In most areas of the US, you can trim those branches of the neighbor&#39;s tree back to your property line. But the neighbor is under no obligation to pay for it, nor are they responsible for dealing with the leaves. Now, you may find differently in your location. But I&#39;m betting you won&#39;t.

Reply to
trader4

He would have to deal with an angry 80 year old woman that can still wave a broom and a rake. I would not recommend anyone be so foolish. She takes better care of the yard then he takes care of his and is most likely in better shape.

Reply to
John

Maybe you might like to review the thread before you feel qualified to offer advice. No drive-by comments taken seriously.

Reply to
John