Can i ask here ?

Page 2 of 2

Google 'Groups' works just fine for me, has for years. I have Verizon DSL, running an iMac with Snow Leopard OS and access Google via browser Safari, or Firefox. M$ 'Bing' browser is kind of neat, but I haven't tried it for newsgroup access yet. All the moaning and groaning about newsgroup access in this NG seems to me just some facet of Microsoft misery or maybe just bad information.
Joe
Joe wrote:

"Bing" is not a browser. It is a search "engine"

Oops...you're right.
Joe
Joe wrote:

Nothing to do with Micro$oft: I don't use a Windozzze machine to access newsgroups. I will tolerate Google for old messages that are no longer on the news server to which I have access (eternal-september retains messages for 6 months, I think; news.individual.net for longer), but for current discussions I hate Google just as much as I hate accessing my emails via a Web browser. Newsreaders are the thing for reading newsgroup messages.
Perce

The astraweb newsserver wasn't yet mentioned. It is very good, has binaries as well, but it is not free. I paid $10.00 for the right to download 25GB of stuff (headers are free). There is as yet no time limit for the download. I have used about 1 GB in the past year.
--
Best regards
Han

You need to check out some of the alt.binaries.x's :-)
216.168.3.70:

Why? What's there?
--
Best regards
Han

Just to point out that there is something wrong with the OP's question. Verizon has not provided any access to the alt hierarchy for about a year now; only access to the Big 8 hierarchies and the 0.verizon hierarchy. So how is the OP posting to ALT.home.repair if he/she has no usenet access other than Verizon?
--
Peace,
BobJ