Call blockers

Page 1 of 3
I got a Pro Call Blocker and found it lacking. Very poor instructions. Erased contacts without my telling it to. Wouldn't pass calls to telephone system when in series. Many other problems. I sent it back today.
Any suggestions for a better one?
I may be wong but I'm afraid these gadgets may not be as helpful as we would hope. I would think the computer programs telemarketers use would change their fake caller id if a call was blocked until it goes through. I would think life would be much better if the No Call List was enforced and phone companies protected against fake caller ids and perhaps blocked ids.
What do you think?
TIA

nomorobo works for me.
Visit www.nomorobo.com.
--
Dan Espen

On Thursday, January 7, 2016 at 9:17:00 AM UTC-8, net cop wrote:

Even with NMR, I still get a dozen calls a week, even after blocking 20 different numbers from some of the persistent telemarketers

I must be blessed. Close to 100% effective here. The best part is being in the shower, or otherwise occupied and hearing that single ring followed by silence. Telemarketers can get through, so far, nothing is perfect, but I know I hear at least 9 blocked calls for every one using some kind of fake number that can't be blocked. Only 3 today (so far).
--
Dan Espen

On 1/7/2016 11:58 AM, Dan Espen wrote:

I have RingTo VOIP. I guess they have a call blocker because I get very few junk calls, as long as I wait until the third ring to answer. You can also add specific numbers to block.
Plus RingTo is free. Only have to pay $12 per year for E911 service. Plus the start-up cost of an Obi SIP adapter. <http://www.obitalk.com/info/asp/ringto .

I agree with what Dan said about nomorobo.
Nomorobo explains how their system works by requiring the incoming call to ring two phone numbers simultaneously, their system number and your phone number, to determine if the incoming call is a robo-call. If the call is a robo-call you will only hear that one ring.
We had an 8 or 10 year old Panasonic cordless phone system that we recently replaced with a new Panasonic cordless phone system. The new phone has the option to allow, or not, the first ring of an incoming call. With that option activated we don't even hear the first ring anymore.
On 01/07/2016 12:38 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
[snip]

How does it determine if its a robo-call? If by number, then its useless for the vast majority of calls I'm getting now (they keep changing the number they're "calling from").
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 1/7/2016 1:53 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

It's no different than any other blacklisting technology -- except, that *you* don't have to maintain the blacklist!
As telemarketers adapt, they'll randomize their use of spoofing numbers more and any "common" database (e.g., like this) will loose its effectiveness.
You'll also see more obvious attempts to steal the *entire* contents of your address book (think about your smart phone that is infectable!) for lists of "valid" phone numbers.
What happens when TelemarketerInc starts using your Mom's phone number in their CID spoofing? Not only will she not be able to call *you* but she'll also not be able to call anyone else who uses the service!
Additionally, it leaks all your "metadata" to a third party -- that may or may not be covered by any privacy legislation regarding "telephone carriers".

Go to their website and see for yourself.

As I said, works for me.
They get the block list from the users. Like me.
If a call gets through and it has a legitimate number I enter it into their block list, through, what they call the "dashboard".
Since they have lots of users, and approve new entries pretty quick, I'm getting a high effective rate.
Unless they change the number on every call, nomorobo will catch up.
For a while, I was getting robo calls from the same exchange that I live in. I use Verizon's block list to block them as the telemarketer is impersonating some neighbor and I don't want nomorobo to block a neighbor. I haven't seen one of those in ages though.
I can assure you, the service is far from useless.
--
Dan Espen

On Thursday, January 7, 2016 at 12:39:27 PM UTC-6, Gordon Shumway wrote:

has to offer/subscribe to it for a person to use it. My phone company does not, thus the Pro Call Blocker.
Per ItsJoanNotJoann:

If you have a broadband Internet connection you are not limited to your phone company.
You can install a little black box between the phone line and your Internet connection and subscribe to a Voice Over Internet Protocol service.
That's what I do for my outgoing non-800, non-911 calls.
Incoming are still via the phone company, so my phone number is registered with them.
One gotcha is that you have to set up the box. Not rocket science, but it does take some reading of instructions and time.
My little black box is a LinkSys SPA3102.
My VOIP provider is CallCentric.com.
Anybody wants my setup parms for the box, let me know and I will post them.
Both have been working for about five years with only the occasional (as in 2x per year) need to unplug the box and then plug it back in again.
Only reason I have kept the phone company account are doubts about 911 service under a VOIP provider and the chance, however small, of something going wrong with porting my phone number from the phone company to the VOIP provider..... And I suspect my doubts are misplaced.
--
Pete Cresswell

Per Dan Espen:

They probably tell you on the web site, but just to prime you.... NoMoRobo requires that you have two extra-charge features on your phone: CallerID and Simultaneous Ring.
--
Pete Cresswell

Actually, not extra charge with FIOS. The service is free. The sign up process checks to see if your phone is suitable.
--
Dan Espen

Per Dan Espen:

I think that is because those services are already in the FIOS package you have.
I have plain-vanilla FIOS ($13.65/month for the phone) and so not have either service.
--
Pete Cresswell

KenK has brought this to us :

Change your # and unlist it. The new landline phones have a # block button that works. Caller ID gives you the choice of answering the call or ignoring it.

My number was never listed. I still get calls.

Details?

My phone and answering machine don't display them. My answering machine says the ID but too fast to remember and write down (it saves the id and repeats it if there ia a message but the telemarketers hang up as soon as the my answering message comes on and it's obviously an answering machine). And besides, I'm not sitting there waiting for a ring.
On 1/7/2016 11:06 AM, KenK wrote:

There's nothing to stop a machine from just dialing every number in a given exchange and "hoping for a sucker"!
Also, even if you've not listed a number, if you've given it out (to a business, UPS, etc.) then it's probably leaked out to some database, somewhere (with your NAME tied to it!)

Exactly. You need <something> to be sitting there waiting for the ring and THEN making a decision as to whether or not YOU should be "bothered" by this call! (i.e., don't even let me HEAR the ring!!)
On Thursday, January 7, 2016 at 8:48:44 AM UTC-8, KenK wrote:

If the FCC would start to fine the phone networks for every call when these f**kin a**holes use their "service", they'd find a way to cut them off tomorrow
On 1/7/2016 12:28 PM, Shade Tree Guy wrote:

I've been saying that for years. The government and phone company have to know where these calls are coming from and how to stop them. Their do not call lists are a joke.
Worse thing for me are the junk faxes because it costs me paper and ink.
Otherwise I don't answer my land line that has the fax and use caller id on ViOP phone and answering machine to deal with others.