Burning smell in my home - HELP

Page 2 of 2
well turn the main breaker off to see if the smell disappears. when i was perhaps 12 years old we had a odd burning smell....... traced to a overheating door bell transformer. which i replaced.
about that time the door bell started ringing at all sorts of wierd times.
i happened to be in the basement. when our new hot water tank turned on the door bell rang.
now i am 58, in january 59.
perhaps these two events were related but after all these years i really dont know. we moved shortly after these problems occured.