Brick chimmey sealant reccomendation?

Hi group,

Looking for a cement and brick brush or spray on sealant for outdoor use.

Any recommendations?

Thanks, Gary

Reply to
G Mulcaster

Wondering why? Are the bricks spalling?

If so the best way to protect your investment may be to put siding over the chimney.

Sealant route:

Look at V-106-05

Reply to
tnom

Why are you sealing brick? Normally, it is meant to breathe. It would not ever be considered a water proof surface.

Describe your problem. Maybe someone can help.

Concrete and masonry silanes and siloxanes: W R Grace Meadows Prosoco Xypex Conspec

Don't use Thompson water seal or stuff you buy at the Borg.

Reply to
DanG

Here is my therory:

I have a chimney attached to the side of the house. Living on the wet coast of BC, we get copious amounts of rain. The chimney above the roof is fully exposed. It absorbs moisture and the moisture works its way down the chimney. A significant amount of moisture presents on the portion of the chimney located below the roof. This area below the roof, being leaward, does not receive rain.

My concern is if moisture shows on the lower portion of the roof, it will also get into the wood structure and cause rot. Notwithstanding, no rot was seen when the roof was re-shingled three years ago. During the shingling process I made sure the flashing was correct (which endeared me to the roofers :).

In the past I have used Thompson's sealer which works for about two years. There are hairline cracks in the mortar above the roof and my belief is the Thompson's is sealing the cracks.

Im looking for a sealer which will be of a higher quality and durability. A silicone base perhaps?

Hope this makes sense :)

Gary

Reply to
G Mulcaster

No. The bricks seem in good shape. The mortar, however, has hairline cracks. Thompson's sealers have worked in the past, but for a short time. Looking for something better.

Thanks for the site.

Gary

Reply to
G Mulcaster