? bout GE Appliance Parts ~ Austin TX

My glowbar went out on my GE oven.

I called a guy to replace it: $160.

I called a parts store for the part: $80.

I asked the store: Where do you get your parts. I'll just go get it myself. Ans: "Only sells wholesale."

I looked on line and found the same part# for $30.

Does anyone know where I can get GE or Generic parts in Austin TX without the huge markup?

TIA

Jim

Reply to
Master Betty

What is a glowbar???

Reply to
hrhofmann

Yeah- repairclinic.com . Buy 2 so next time you're not without a oven for a few days- and you'll still be ahead of the game.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I'll check it out. I was hoping to find a local place but that's probably not in the cards.

Thanxs

Reply to
Master Betty

What is a glowbar???

+++

It's the pilot light on an oven, but it works with electricity. Seems to be the thing that goes out often on gas models.

Jim

Reply to
Master Betty

Master Betty wrote: ...

How would a local place be able to have the location in which to house this for you while waiting for you to call on them at your convenience to pick it up at a drop ship price?

Sheesh, what folks expect...

--

Reply to
dpb

Great prices and service. I ordered parts Sunday night and Fedex brought them this morning (SE Iowa).

Don

Reply to
IGot2P

Hi, Isn't it called hot surface ignitor?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Sounds right. GE = Glowbar. Name of part.

Some call it a Glowbar Igniter

Master Betty

I checked them. Better price but I keep seeing the part for $29.95 other places.

Reply to
Master Betty

-snip-

Check the guarantee- especially with those things as they are sometimes shortlived.

Google the thread "Are all Bake igniters created equal?" from 2001.

I had just bought an igniter from repairclinic and it failed in 6 weeks.

Dan O. reminded me of the warranty- and I posted this followup; JE> Sure enough. I emailed them last weekend.

JE> Monday was a holiday. JE> Tuesday AM I got an email saying a new one was on the way. JE> JE> Thursday AM [MI to NY, via USPS] I have the new part in hand, and JE> didn't have to pay to return the old one. JE>

And BTW- the 8 year old one is still working.

I'll repeat my kudos to an outfit that has their business down pat.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

But for the price I can order 3 off of eBay...

I was looking at the wire caps and it looks like a special kind of tape they used to secure them.

Know anything about that?

Reply to
Master Betty

Crude, gutter mouthed home owners call them glow bars.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

-snip-

No.

I use ceramic wirenuts- and no tape.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Thanks...good idea.

Just ordered 2 glowbars off of eBay for $48.85 with shipping.

Reply to
Master Betty

Doesn't sound like a huge markup to me. That's about what I'd mark up a part around that price when I had my own business. That's about middle of the road for me. Higher priced items got a lower percentage mark up. Cheaper items got a higher mark up. I recall 1/2 watt resistors that cost me $0.007 each I sold for 25 to 50 cents. At 50 cents that's

7,142% markup. Had to pay for my time to buy, stock, and sell them.
Reply to
Tony

Well...I found them online for $19.95. I can buy 4 online for that price. Even if one is defective I've got three to replace it with. I can't see the logic in paying $80.00 + 8.25% sales tax.

I bought 2 online and with shipping it came to $48.85. ~

Jim

Reply to
Master Betty

I generally get my appliance parts at 1st Source at 2335 Kramer Lane,

832-0667. Their prices generally aren't as low as online, but they've always had, or been able to quickly get, what I've needed, and their prices haven't been too bad (at least in my judgment -- not having to wait a few days for the part needed to fix the stove, e.g., is worth something. BTW, they often have "generics" if the branded item is too pricey.

HTH.

Reply to
cjt

Thanks, I bookmarked em. I'll check them out next time.

Jim

Reply to
Master Betty

The part identification is excellent, the shipping is quick, excellent inventory, and the price is good.

Reply to
Phisherman