Blowing out water lines with compressed air

Page 1 of 2
http://images.campingworld.com/is/image/CWI/4000/4410nUPDATE.jpg ?
I want to use one of these to blow out my water lines on a vacation home. I'm going to try to connect it to an outside hose fitting. Problem is this is a male and I need to convert it to a female. Are there adapters I can buy to do that. Or is there a fitting I can buy that is made to attach to an outside hose fitting on a residence..?
Thanks.
Add pictures here
βœ–
"in2dadark" wrote in message

Just go to the hardware store and tell the guy working there you need to convert your male part into a female part. He will know what you are talking about. They get these types of questions all the time.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 19 May 2009 12:34:22 -0700 (PDT), in2dadark

Washing machine hose is the quick answer but I imagine you can find a F/F hose adapter
Add pictures here
βœ–
On May 19, 4:16 pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Ahh... Very good.. I didn't think of that. At the time of leaving I won't be using it anyway. I'm hoping to get a more sturdy blowout connector. The one in the pic looks a little fraigile compared to some of the others I've seen. Thanks
Add pictures here
βœ–

I just cut about 3 feet off the end of an old garden hose, with the female connector intact. Used a hose clamp to attach a male air hose quick-disconnect to the cut-off end of the hose. Pop that into the end of the hose from your compressor, and you're good to go.
One piece of advice - make SURE you turn off the breaker to your water heater BEFORE you blow out your water lines, unless you like replacing both elements. DAMHIKT.
Jerry
Add pictures here
βœ–

Even better.. I wish I had an old garden hose laying around. I guess I have all summer to eyeball other people's trash. I always shut off and drain the water heater .. thanks. And I drain the verticle lines in the house with no problem.. The only area I have had problems with is the horizontal lines along my basement ceiling.
In the past I had used an old air mattress inflator to get 'just enough' water out of there. It worked one year. But last year I forgot the inflator at my other place. And I ended up with a break that I slapped some gator bites on. Luckily the water was turned off when it broke and it was in an easy to get to spot..
This year, I want to do it right, so I'm using a compressor. What pressure should I set it at? I'm seeing specs of 50-80 for an RV. So I'm guessing 65 will be ok for my house...?
I have a oustide hose spigot that is one floor (+/-) higher than another one and they are at opposite ends of the house. So I've been blowing it out through the high one and out the lower one. I leave them open when I'm gone hoping any water that's left will have a place to move to when it freezes..
Add pictures here
βœ–

The first time we winterized after buying the place, paid a plumber $25 to do it and followed him around. IIRC, he said to set the compressor around 70.
Blowing it out from high to low sounds like a good idea.
The other thing the plumber did, that I thought was a good idea, was to pour a cup or 2 of RV antifreeze down all the plumbing drains, and into the toilet tanks and bowls. Didn't see you mention that anywhere.
Jerry
Add pictures here
βœ–

Yea I use RV antifreeze for the drain traps in all of the fixtures. I use a gallon for each toilet and half for the sinks and shower fixtures. I forget where I read that to use that amount. But if anyone can confirm I'm overdoing it let me know.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I also do the dishwasher. Before you call me on that one..:o) .. That is a PITA. And the washing machine. That's easy, no tearing it apart. Just run some antifreeze in it during a pumping cycle and done. Hardest is the dishwasher. Got to drain it and drain that one valve.
Add pictures here
βœ–

No dishwasher or laundry in my place in Flagstaff. I split one gallon of RV antifreeze between 1 kitchen sink, 2 bathroom sinks, 2 toilets, and a bathtub - no freezing problems in 8 years. Just put a couple of glugs down each drain and in the toilet bowls and tanks.
My biggest winterizing problem, not much I can do about it, has been the freezer compartment of the refrigerator. The thermostat in a fridge is designed to keep the temperature in the fridge compartment at the setpoint, typically 37 degrees or so. So when the inside temperature of my cabin drops below that point, the compressor hardly ever runs, and the temperature in the freezer climbs, letting whatever's in there thaw out. So in the wintertime we don't leave much but ice cube trays in the freezer. Took me a while to figure that one out - I thought the fridge was bad.
Any of you out there that are refrigeration repairmen (I'm thinking of you, Stormin) feel free to correct me if I'm horribly misinformed.
Jerry
Add pictures here
βœ–

Yea.. I just empty mine out, shut them off and leave the doors open. It's a pain restocking things anew but there's a downside to everything. I've even read something about ink in printers freezing..? Guess I'll have to take the cartridges with me as I just got one for this place.
I'd also like to have another car as a change of pace but doesn't make sense to leave one sit for 6 months or to haul 2 back and forth. There's a lot of things you CAN'T do when you split your time, I've learned. But it's still worth it. I've also learned to take vehicle titles with me just in case I decide to trade up. I now want to sell my motorbike and realize I don't have the title with me. I guess if I find a buyer, I'll have to pay Florida to send me another copy.
Got off track here..But to continue ..even if I were married in my current situation I'd want to keep just one car for the two of us. What do you all do.., if there's multiple drivers and you split your time. Do you lug 2 cars around..? I see the car carriers in my travels, but I don't remember if I've inquired as to the cost. I think I saw something to the tune of 900 for 1200 miles..? But I may be way off..
Add pictures here
βœ–
Washing machine hoses are female on both ends.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
in2dadark wrote:

I soldered in two quarter turn valves with a blowout fitting on one to the inside of where I wanted to blow out the water.
Water > quarter turn valve without fitting > short lenth of tubing > quarter turn valve with fitting.
I shut off the first valve, then unscrew the fitting on e the second. I just stick an air line with a rubber tip into the opening and let it rip. No water left in the lines downstream.
Mortimer Schnerd, RN mschnerd at carolina.rr.com
Add pictures here
βœ–
in2dadark wrote:

You'll find a double female 'gender changer' at any decent hardware store.
βœ–
in2dadark wrote:

I use a shop vac for clearing AC drain lines and I wonder how it would work for emptying potable water lines? Here in the South East we never really think of draining the water lines unless a house is being closed up for a very long period of time. Pipes don't freeze up around here unless the temps drop into the low teens for several days. That's something that doesn't happen often.
TDD
Add pictures here
βœ–

I have a little place in S. Florida that I refer to 'my office that I sleep in' as I mostly work from home when I'm down there. I'm glad not to have these issues there. I just close the accordian shutters and I'm gone. Not much to worry about there. We've had a pretty good freeze this last winter. But it didn't affect any pipes or anything. In 20 years haven't had any freezing problems..
Add pictures here
βœ–
in2dadark wrote:

I would imagine that good plumbing design and installation considers draining a system in the colder climates. I don't know but I would think, after all these years, there would be plumbing codes that required the installation of fixtures to allow draining the potable water lines.
TDD
Add pictures here
βœ–
On May 20, 4:54οΏ½am, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

or remove a hose from a neighbors washer at the curb on trash day
Add pictures here
βœ–

If that is a tire valve type connection for the compressor, it wan't handle much volume. Just sticking the air nozzle into a short hose chunk would work much better. A standard push button air nozzle will limit it also. If have one, a sandblaster nozzle will work better, or just plumb a ball valve onto a length of hose with a garden hose female end and a compressor male air hose fitting on the other end.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Here's one for a couple bucks. http://www.fitzilla.com/Store/page159.html

Add pictures here