Blowing Out The Phone Lines?

Page 1 of 2

Today I received a call from the telephone company instructing me that they would be blowing out the phone lines Friday and that I should wrap each of my phones in a plastic bag so that the debris doesn't scatter around the house.
I've never heard of this before and am not sure what kind of bag I should use? Also will the phone ring or something when they are finished?
No wonder the land line companies are losing business to cell phones. With ancient technology that needs regular purging it's a miracle that it works at all.

== You're five days late on this posting. ==
On 06/04/10 10:47 AM, Roy wrote:

More like 50 years late.
llort wrote:

Jeez, you must be young...I first heard that 65 years ago.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

<snip>
BTW, is your refrigerator running?
--
Slackware 12.2, 2.6.27.7, Core i7 920, GeForce 8400 GS
RLU #272755

.. BTW, is your refrigerator running?
If your nose runs and your feet smell, then you're built upside down.

LQTM
snipped-for-privacy@MySecretPlace.org (Danno) writes:

No, but I have Prince Albert in a can.
--
/~\ snipped-for-privacy@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)
Bowling alley.... do you have sixteen pound balls?

The cell phone companies only get around this by making your phone obsolete every few years. If your cell phone is more than 2 years old, it's already performing not as well as when new, and DOES need to be blown out.
If you take it to the store your provider runs, they will do this for you for about 30 dollars. They don't talk about this because it would discourage new customers.

What are phone lines?

The things that you attach a modem to for connecting to the internet.
I for one will be sticking with traditional phone lines and dialup service as long as they continue to be offered. I prefer phone service that is actually reliable and where I don't need new phones every other year. I use 40-50 year old Western Electric phones on a daily basis that still work perfectly. (Also I am not willing to pay for broadband, it's just not worth anything to me.)
--
Roger Blake
(Change "invalid" to "com" for email. Google Groups killfiled due to spam.)

DONT GET FIOS phone, I had troubles for TWO MONTHS, which effected everyone in our central office, every 12th call was noisey from a bad router in our central office.
It took 2 months, including calling every business day for 3 weeks and esclating to the presidents office TWICE, to get the stupid phone fixed.
meanwhile copper is still highly reliable and robust, and gets fixed fast if it has a problem

Haven't done that (except in *$%& hotel rooms) for at least a decade.

We haven't used a land line for six or seven years. Cell phones were cheaper and now we're used to them. I really don't much care about replacing hardware. It's cheap.
[*] we had one with no phone connected when we first moved here because DSL required it, or at least they implied it did.

On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 16:01:01 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

That's when neighboorhood kids have been writing on your phone with crayons.

Nutbag. Size EEE. Next to the left-handed skyhooks at Lowes.
-- Bobby G.
You need mylar anti static bags, and aluminum wire for wire ties.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

So, you wrap your phone in a plastic bag and the PC blows all the crap from the lines all over your phone. Are you gonna wanna put that phone near your mouth?

That is an old procedure. These days the phone company sucks

They do this every spring. They also shut down the internet for spring cleaning. Usually around April 1.
You may also receive a phone call from the electric company. They will ask if your refrigerator is running...