Blade for Brick

Hiya folks, I've recently gotten a 10" wet saw for tile/brick and was wondering what blades are recommended? I see stuff from $15 to $200 and am just not sure how much blade I need. I'm going to be cutting some firebrick, concrete brick, and finally clay brick (fireplace and pavers). As well, should I be looking for a continuous blade or segmented? I believe the segmented blades are recommended for firebrick but not entirely sure. Thanks for any advice. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

diamond is the best and lasts the longest, while costing the most. if you have a lot of cutting to do its the way to go.

carbide will work too, but wear fast, and be prepared for lots of blade changes, cheap at 20 bucks but will be buying lots of them

Reply to
hallerb

Continuous diamond. If you're ever going to use it for tile, don't get segmented. The segmented can leave a rougher cut.

RicodJour

Thanks guys. I should have mentioned I was looking at diamond blades. Just wasn't sure if I should go with a segmented or continuous. Any idea on price I should pay for one. I'm building a 24" firebox with kiva (approx. 50 firebricks and a few hundred pumice bricks). Obviously won't be cutting all of them. Then on to the walkways where I haven't estimated quantities yet. I suppose 1k-1500 clay bricks maybe....again, only a percentage would need cutting. I'm not looking for a lifetime industrial blade, just something that would see me through this project and maybe some ceramic work down the road. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Blades? Score and snap them. Cheaper and faster

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

True, unless you need to shave off just a tad. Diamond will cut through like a hot knife through very warm butter.

Reply to
dean

Segmented for brick, solid for tile.

Reply to
SQLit

The el-cheapo diamond saw blades at knockoff places like harborfreight surprise the hell out of me!!!! I honestly thought that a cheap blade like that would not be of any use...wrong!!! At 25-35 U$D they are cheap and efficient. Bricks, firebrick and pavers all should be cut with a segmented blade for material clearance. Make sure the water injector is set to high and change the water when dirty, nothing else to it!!!

Reply to
Rusht Limpalless

Thanks guys. Now I know what I'm shopping for! Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

snip, snip

Learning what type of blade you need is a good thing. That way, when they go on sale, you can take advantage. One time Home Depot had mismarked some blades at $8 that I knew were worth a lot more. I bought six, and still have three.

It is like that with a lot of tools and supplies. Know what you need. Understand the tool. Then, when you see a deal, jump on it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B