Bigger electric power washers

Page 1 of 2

Has anyone had any experiences with the larger electric power washers? I had a small 3.5 HP gas unit, which was pretty adequate for my home and deck cleaning chores. Now that it is history, I am toying with one of the 1800-2000 psi electric units, but I am a little afraid they will not perform. Any first hand experiences would be appreciated. Thanks, Art

I had a Systema (sp?) brand. More or less the same as the bigger electric unit made by Karcher.
Worked ok for general cleaning, although slowly. Didn't last very long, they are cheaply made. Now have 6hp gas unit. Much faster and heavier duty.
If you're going to do big jobs like decks or siding or driveways, don't waste your time with the electrics unless you have *way* more time than money.
HTH,
Paul F.
Paul Franklin wrote:

The power source, gas or electric has no bearing on how well the unit will perform. What is relevant is the power available and the quality of the unit. A 6hp electric (real, not inflated consumer numbers) will be just as powerful as a 6hp gas, presuming comparable pumps and quality.
As a point of reference, all the various food processing, meat packing, etc. plants use electric powered pressure washers daily for cleaning and sanitizing. The difference is that those are industrial grade units.

Industrial yes, and what does a 6hp need in power, well its alot more than 15a maybe 90a?
What is relevant is the power available and the quality of

6hp electric is not standard, 7.5hp would be the next standard size up. It would require 22 amps at 230 volts per NEC. Just the motor alone would cost about the same or more as the whole gas power washer unit.
Frank wrote:

It was an example, not an exact number. Yes, a "real" electric pressure washer requires "real" power to operate. Yes a "real" electric pressure washer is an industrial grade unit and not cheap. That electric motor will of course outlast several gas engines or more.

This is basically the one I have but they are saying 3000 PSI now
On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 19:33:04 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200347872_200347872

Actually my 5HP electric is more powerful than a 6HP gas, because of the inflation of engine ratings. They are rated WOT and still they probably lie. Most folks use a gas engine at about 75%
On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 19:27:03 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Electric motor ratings get fudged as well. They often rate them based on running them with the maximum voltage they are rated to withstand intermittantly. Most "3 hp" spa pumps are really about 1.75 HP under normal operation.

Trouble is you can't really get 6hp out of a 120v outlet. If I remember right, 746w =1hp.

You can get 5HP out of a dryer outlet and that is plenty for a 3000 PSI, 2.5 GPH pressure washer.

Tricky part is getting a 220v extension cord.
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 20:35:47 -0500, AZ Nomad

No trickier than buying the right receptacle and plug. The 5HP washer I have comes with a 35 foot cord so it is fairly portable anyway. I installed receptacles at both ends of the garage so I can use it in the driveway and back on the pool deck. That is pretty much the only place I use a pressure washer anyway.

Wow. That's almost enough to reach outside.
On Fri 25 Jul 2008 10:18:30p, AZ Nomad told us...

LOL! I guess, theoretically, one could make an extension cord almost any desired length. In a previous home we had a gas dryer, but the area was also supplied with 220 VAC for an electric dryer. I put together an extension cord of about 25 feet to reach a commercial flash freeing unit that sat on our enclosed utility porch. I would have had an additional outlet installed, but we only planned to stay there a couple of years. Worked fine for the duration. All you need is the appropriate plug, socket, and 8 guage wire in the high voltage cable. Most of the big box stores carry these parts. I used the twist lock connectors to prevent accidental disconnections.
--
Wayne Boatwright
On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 00:18:30 -0500, AZ Nomad

Put 135 feet of hose on it and where in the yard won't it reach

I had a Karcher electric, works well but lasted about 14 months with not much use. Wash my car about 7 times and the driveway and thats all she got before it came apart. Its junk with too much plastic on critical components and will leak in no time.
This was replaced with another Kracher gas with a Honda engine, more metal parts and better components but at 2-3X the cost of the electric.
Both electric and gas did a good job with the electric being slower.
Now have 6hp gas unit. Much faster and

Most are designed around a 15a circuit which solely limits their power. A few are 20a -30a. which limits where they can be used. 1800-2000, what do they draw, do you have 20-30a avalaible outside?
In forth:

Go with gas. It's also my understanding that the GPM is just as important ,if not more than the PSI It doesn't matter if you have 2500psi if it's only doing 1.5gpm.