Home Depot electric pressure washers?

Just wondering if anyone here has had any good or bad experiences with Home Depot's electric pressure washers?? I just bought the H1700 model (1700 psi) and am primarily going to use it to wash the vehicles I own. I thought the electric type washers would be more portable and cleaner and cheaper to operate than the larger gas models. Also I can use it outside in the winter on nice (above freezing) sunny days and then bring the washer back into the house to prevent freeze ups. I know McCullough also makes electric but dont know how well they compare to the Home Depot brand?? Thanks for any discussion on this. Steve

Reply to
Steve

What do you mean by home depot brand? Is that what it says on it?

Reply to
Jeff The Drunk

I bought one last year and took it back. It was leaking water at the inlet and I was afraid it might cause a short. After taking it back I did some research on the Internet. It turns out that it was that particular model with the problem. Other models by the same manufacturer had great reviews. I would read the reviews on-line before purchasing.

Reply to
Jack Hammer

The brand or name on the box is "Powerwasher - Electric Clean Machine" and the internet site for it is "hdpowerwasher.com." It is, of course, made in China like almost everything else these days. It is warrantied for one year. I think Home Depot, in general, sells pretty good stuff so that is why I bought it there...

Reply to
Steve

I have looked up reviews for it and so far havent really dug up any serious dirt on it yet. I know its not made to be used commercially or industrially but just would like it to last more than a year at moderate use... Thanks!

Reply to
Steve

I had one. It worked OK, but in time it started having reliability problems. I gave up looking for part and bought a gasoline model which worked about twice as fast.

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

HDs brand is Ridgid, usualy with great warrantys, My Karcher is oid and well made

Reply to
ransley

I have a Husky 1750 that I bought at HD 4 yrs ago and it still works fine.

I've only used it a few times though...probably about 50-75 hours of use on it.

Reply to
Ron

My neighbor bought one and used the heck out of it for about a year before it died. He has 4 cars and washes them all once a week and washed his house down with it before he painted. This was his favorite toy and he was always using it on his porch, fence, driveway..... I think it was his weekly therapy. I dont know how much they cost but I figure he got his money's worth out of it.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

That doesn't sound to bad to me... I'm always pretty careful how I use my tools and stuff so hopefully it will take care of me if I take good care of it.. Thanks!

Reply to
Steve

Another pretty good review! Thanks! That sounds like about 4 years of use in my case... I used it yesterday for the first time and it seemed to do a really good job. I like the pulsating wand especially. It sure works a whole lot better than a plain old garden hose like I was using... Not sure about using the soap injector though??? It only puts out soap under very low pressure I guess as a pre-soak?? Steve ps it cost about $150 plus tax..

Reply to
Steve

Some of the brand have plastic housing for the pump. I bought a Craftsman off Ebay, and it didn't come with the proper wand tip. Went to Sears, and the staff there didn't even know that Sears ever made an electric power washer.

No matter. Went to Lowe's and got a hose and wand for it. When I went to cash out, the screen asked "Is $64.72 correct?" and then the screen disappeared. I was reaching for the screen at that moment. I told the clerk to put the question screen back on, as I hadn't answered the question. He said that he'd pressed enter, and answered for me. That's unacceptable. The computer asked me, not him. And back up the process, so that I can answer the question asked of me. "Well, you got to press yes for the sale to go through, so what's the point?" The point is that the question was asked of me not asked of you. "Well, the only way to do that is to refund the sale, and ring it out again." So, we did. He was not only an uncaring controlling and pushy SOB, but after ringing out the sale again he was a seriously pissed off controlling, and pushy SOB. In fairness, he's an exception. Most Lowe's people are very n ice.

Got the rig home, and tried it out. Turns out that the pressure swtich inside was messeed up, and the eletric body Craftsman didn't work.

Fire up Ebay, and bought a Campbell Hausfield, which turned out to have a plastic pump body. That worked two or three times, until the plastic pump housing cracked, and the unit was no longer good as a pressure washer. I was on a paying job at that moment, and it wasn't really convenient to have the pump crack.

I found HD had an electric, which is called a Powermate 1400. Has a die cast pump housing. After spending about $200 between Lowes and Ebay, I finallyfor $98 got a pump and wand which worked, and have a metal pump housing.

My reccomendation is to look in the box, and make sure the high pressure output threads and pipe are metal, and let that help make your decision. I also store mine indoors, for reasons of cold and freezing.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Metal pump housing I hope? You can tell, where the high pressure hose threads on.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

One time, I used a garden hose, and a bottle of dish soap. Dribbled the soap into the stream of water, to wash a sign on a building. I'm not sure it did much good, but felt like I was doing something.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I find it has marginal power, but it has the convenence of not needed gasoline and if you don't have large areas, it will get the job done, just slowly.

I eventually gave mine to a friend and got a gasoline powered one.

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

You only get so much power out of 15a circuit, a few years ago Sears had 20 and 30a models,maybe they still do. Few store carry 20 and 30a units. I use a Karcher for 15a circuit, 10 yrs old , but it works as well as 15a can and im happy most of the time.

Reply to
ransley