Big Lots Multifunction Tool

Selling a variable speed for $39.

My guess is a real POS even compared to the HF version. Only power tool I bought from Big Lots was actually a name brand Skill circular saw. Discontinued 7-1/4 model, 13A, case, carbide blade - $39. Can't beat it for the price.

Reply to
Red Green

If you think it is a "POS" why are you advertising it?

Reply to
Charlie

"Charlie" wrote in news:icbgfm$b1a$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Because many people think the HF one is a POS. And it is compared to a Rockwell or Fein. But for some peoples needs and frequency of use, it's perfect. For certain tasks even a POS MF tool is better than a good hand, circ or recip saw which may be useless.

I have a HF single speed one. For what I do I should have the likes of a Rockwell. I want a Fein. I bought a cheapie to see if one of "these oscillating tools" is something I will use to the extent of justifying $150-400.

I posted the Big Lots one should someone wanna know a VS econo is available and see it. There are many places and entire states in the eastern US where there is no HF. Mail order is the only option. There are MANY Big Lots in the eastern US.

Did I answer???

Reply to
Red Green

I bought an 88 dollar air compressor at Big Lots a couple maybe 5 years years ago, it's still running strong. I don't use it all that much but I've used it far more than 88 dollars worth.

Reply to
FatterDumber& Happier Moe

FatterDumber& Happier Moe wrote in news:4ce97f79$0$14813$ snipped-for-privacy@news.suddenlink.net:

Guess that particular one was put together right and it's not undersize for what you need. Someone else could have bought the same one, I mean the actual one you got, and called it a POS because they tried running it at 90% duty cycle for an extended time...which would probably kill any quality not designed for it.

Reply to
Red Green

Bingo. Like the last ten times we had the price vs. quality discussion on here, you have to make your best guess about what is 'good enough' to do what you want, and not hurt you or make you crazy in the process. With a few minor exceptions, tools don't make a living for me any more, so I have to be frugal. I wouldn't carry them onto a job site and expect them to last, but for the occasional project around the house, the stuff from BigLots and HF is often more than adequate. I do insist on quality tools for precision work, or where I could get hurt if the tool fails, but if, say, a scoop shovel craps out, no biggie. And my compressor is the 39.95 pancake from HF that is a twin to the 80-buck one sears sells. All I use it for is tires and (if I ever get around to it) some light trim nailing work, so I'm happy with it. And the 30-buck hand truck I bought at BigLots 2 moves ago has easily paid for itself a dozen times.

Reply to
aemeijers

HF will have their low end model for $19.99 for the entire Thanksgiving holiday weekend.

Tony Sivori

Oh bother! The Harbor Freight Twitching Tool is only $19.99 during their Black Friday sale.

HeyBub

And I will break down and buy one. No current need for one, but if I ever start on the backlogged projects, it'll probably come in handy, and I doubt it'll ever be cheaper.

Reply to
aemeijers

You won't be sorry. I paid twice that for mine 'on spec'. I've used it a half dozen times and don't regret paying $40 for it at all.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

On 11/21/2010 8:57 AM Red Green spake thus:

Whoa. Stop right there.

I'm here to tell you that the Harbor Fright "multifunction tool" is

*not* a POS. Certainly worth more than its, lessee, about 10% of the equivalent Expen$ive German-Branded Tool From Which It Was Copied. I've used mine lots and it's still vibratin' plenty good.

Yes, many people may think it's a POS. Many people also believe in Santa Claus, the tooth fairy, Jesus Christ, Zarathustra, Uri Geller and any number of other myths.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Uri Geller? Now that's name I've not heard in years. I thought he was utterly discredited.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Jim Elbrecht wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Ditto

Ditto

Ditto times 10

Ditto

Not ditto - Red

Reply to
Red Green

Your link isn't working for me - maybe my faithful Ad Muncher is blocking it.

But they were selling refurb Dremels MTs for a mere $50 recently -not a bad deal.

Reply to
Bob(but not THAT Bob)

And the next question that must be asked is...

Are accessories - pads, blades, etc - readily available?

re: "a real POS even compared to the HF version"

Are you speaking from experience or hearsay regarding the HF version?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@k22g2000yqh.googlegroups.com:

That Q is answered in the important part you did not quote - My GUESS is...

I KNOW the HF one (that I have anyway) will take punishment. Maybe if I had picked up the one next to it I'd be POS'ing them left and right. I've beat the piss out of it expecting (but not hoping) it to die. I've had to notch all kinds of molding, cut out some subfloor edges close to walls and pipes, shave areas of 2x4's for oddball stuff, etc. I've spent as much on blades as I did the unit. Maybe if I had the VS version I wouldn't have trashed blades so bad. This is all I can personally attest to.

Reply to
Red Green