Better start hoarding those 60-watt incandescents...

Page 4 of 7
On 12/13/2014 02:50 PM, Roger Blake wrote:

That's one I hadn't considered. Sometimes the heat (from an incandescent bulb) is good for something.
However, wouldn't a snow-blocked light look like one with a power failure? Around here, people treat those as 4-way stops.
--
11 days until the winter celebration (Thursday December 25, 2014
12:00:00 AM for 1 day).

Why?
On 12/14/2014 11:33 AM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:

Payback. Or lack of it. If a bulb burns a few hours a day, you want to save as much as possible. Often, the closet light is on a minute while you grab the blue jacket instead of the black one. It will take many years, possibly decades, to pay back the $10 bulb with the savings. The living room lamp that is on 12 hours a day will save you real money with an LED.
On 12/14/2014 04:28 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[snip]

[snip]
Interestingly, an incandescent filament is in a sealed bulb with (ideally) no oxygen so it WON'T burn. When the filament burns it stops working.

cost. where have you been?

Hmmm... You sound a little defensive there. Or are you always just rude?
In any case, for a 60W bulb, the difference between an LED & an incandescent is a few dollars, right? Over, say, 10 years, that's less than $0.50/year. Doesn't seem worth the time it took to post your opinion.

you are the rude one. Why spend $5.00 on a room or closet that is only lit a couple minutes a year? Better to give the extra five bucks to charity.
Think carefully if you wish to reply - it may not be worth the time for another of your silly posts.
On Sun, 14 Dec 2014 09:34:24 -0500, "Mayayana"

That is a huge problem for people on a well. Typically you have 20-40 or 30-50 pressure switches and these heads are set up for ~80 PSI

We just bought a new American Standard that gets the job done but we do occasionally have that problem of it simply sending the cargo down the pipe a ways without getting it all the way out. One more reason to wash your hands ;-) (the extra water will send it on it's way)

On Sun, 14 Dec 2014 08:33:20 -0800, Jennifer Murphy

Two issues. Cost vs payback period and the fact that CFLs will fail sooner if they are turned on and off a lot. Again it affects your payback time. You eat many hours of expected service every time you do an off on cycle.
On Sun, 14 Dec 2014 13:33:29 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

A. Do rational people really spend time worrying about the difference of a few dollars for one light bulb in a closet? I'd just leave the bulb that's in there in there until it burns out, if it ever does, then replace it with an LED, which will probably be much cheaper by then. Even if I only live in that house for 10 years, the difference is just pennies a year.
B. How did CFLs get into this discussion?
On 12/14/2014 2:53 PM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:

It's not about light bulb control.
It's about control.

40 watt equivalent closet capable LEDs are quite regularly available around here for $2.50 or less with a coupon. I have half a dozen LED units that would work in a closet that I bought for $2.25 each with NO coupon.

We are probably using around 1000 watts or so to light the house at night. We prefer the quality of light given by incandescents and can afford the electric bill.

They are thugs. Violent, psychopathic thugs. (Refer to any history book for the body count.) The only real difference between government and the Mafia is that that the Mob has considerably less blood on its hands.

Every act of government is an act of violence. Here you are basically stating that you believe the best approach to designing toilets is to have a cadre of armed goons force your values ("smaller toilets") on others under threat of violence.
On 12/14/2014 6:35 PM, Roger Blake wrote:

Time to rethink your position. The color of LED today is every bit as good as the incans. Not like the sickly green of the old CFL.
Why use 1000 watts if you can get the same lighting for 100 watts. The savings will be enough to go out for a decent dinner and a couple of drinks.
It may not be a big deal if you are talking table lamps, but if you are talking ceiling lights or outdoor, instead of changing bulbs every 1200 hours, change them every 15,000 hours.
You are free to do what you want, but I don't see where you have any advantage over LED in 2014.

No we are NOT and THAT is the real point.
I am not free to buy or sell 100 Watt incandescent bulbs even if there is a demand for them.
If you feel it is a trivial issue, why did the govt waste it's time creating a law about it.
If you think violence is not ultimatly involved, try selling untaxed cigarettes on the street in NYC.
Mark

No we are NOT and THAT is the real point.
I am not free to buy or sell 100 Watt incandescent bulbs even if there is a demand for them.
--

Yes you are still free to buy and sell those.

LIGHT BULBS:
On Monday, December 15, 2014 1:52:39 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Few people know that part of the Eric Garner story. It was another one of Bloomberg's screwing with people that was involved. He wants to control your salt, the size of your soda, and stop you from smoking at all costs. So, with the sin taxes so high in NYC that a pack of cigarettes costs $14, guys like Garner were making a buck selling illegal loosies. Bloomberg and the libs responded by passing a law that increased the penalties that went into effect this year. And just the month before the cops arrested Garner, the police brass ordered street patrols to enforce the new law. That, together with a legitimate store owner filing a complaint, resulted in the cops busting Garner.
And then the libs say, "It was just a pack of cigarettes....", making it sound like the cops were unreasonable, should have looked the other way, etc.

Illogical. First, it's more like $5 or even less. Second, the savings is not per minute of use, but per year of use (on or off). If the bulb is going to last 10-20 years, saving $4-$5 is pennies/year and not worth my time to even consider. But then you know what your time is worth.
But then I don't think this is really about money. I think it's about a bunch of anti-government reactionaries digging in their heels where they can. Fox news viewers, for sure.
On Sunday, December 14, 2014 6:46:51 PM UTC-5, Jennifer Murphy wrote:

Error, error, that does not compute. Both are measuring the same thing.
If the bulb is

Ahh, the old Fox News slam. I'll bet like most of the others that slam Fox, you never watch it. And now folks who think people should be left to choose whatever bulb they want are anti-govt reactionaries? Good grief. If something is so good, it doesn't need the govt to force it down citizens throats. Leave me free to choose.