Better start hoarding those 60-watt incandescents...

Page 3 of 7
On Monday, December 15, 2014 8:28:50 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

It's like boiling a frog. If you have a pot of hot water and throw the frog in, the frog will jump out. If you put a frog in a cool pot and slowly raise the temperature, the frog will stick around a lot longer.
On 12/15/2014 7:22 PM, trader_4 wrote:

Well, I guess you could call liberals green, and some other adjectives. Webbed feet.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/15/2014 03:50 AM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

The transistorized bear :)
BTW, I knew about bipolar transistors for years before hearing about the medical condition.
--
10 days until the winter celebration (Thursday December 25, 2014
12:00:00 AM for 1 day).

Not as funny as the idea that government can save.

that is not YOUR account. the savings you accrued will be doled out to the sunlight deprived.
On 12/15/2014 4:44 PM, Reggie wrote:

privilege means your sun light has to be redistributed.
It's only fair. Remember the Reagan years? "an early sunshine lights all yards" was the slogan. We now know that some people got more than their share of sun shine, and so now Obama is making it all fair, again.
Anyone who complains is racist.
On 12/15/2014 4:44 PM, Reggie wrote:

care for me.
On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 04:31:38 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:
... snip drivel ...
This post is compelling evidence that we are already in the age of ignorance, if not stupidity.
On 12/14/2014 3:01 PM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:

I can't imagine how you figure that?
Honey! What's this mean????

Todd, I bought a Cree bulb for $5. It is OK, but the glow of the bulb does not seem to be even, but the lumens seem about right for the 60w equivalent rating.
I bought some Osram daylight bulbs for $10. I happen to like the daylight color balance as it is much whiter. So far, I like them a lot, but they are only about 6 month old so I cannot really talk about longevity yet. So far, I'm happy with them and have about a dozen around the house.
The 60W (850 lumen) seems to be the sweet spot right now. They are $10 and the 75W equivalent is $20. I also have a couple of floods that I paid $25 for.
On 12/13/2014 07:00 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Thank you!
4-packs are on sale now at HD for either $1.39 or $1.59. I don't remember exactly, but they're cheap. I've got plenty of 75s and 100s to last for a long time. And I have 40s for hall lights. I never did use 60s. But if anyone wants 60s, this is the time to stock up.
Many people mistakenly think incandescent are illegal to use, because the electric company stuck them with flourescent bulbs after doing an energy audit. I get customers who ask if there's a better solution for their kitchen recessed lights on dimmers that keep burning out. I explain that fluorescent are designed for uses where they're neither dimmed nor turned on and off frequently and that they'd be better off going back to incandescent. Then they say, "Oh, I thought those were illegal". It's amazing how much mis-information can persist in a society with an allegedly free press. :)
| The era of incandescent light bulbs will soon be extinguished forever. | Beginning Jan. 1, 60-watt and 40-watt incandescent bulbs will start to disappear from store shelves. | | http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/1257175-incandescent-bulbs-will-burn-no-more
On Saturday, December 13, 2014 10:13:27 AM UTC-5, Mayayana wrote:

Energy audit? If some people think it's illegal to use incandescents, it's likely because they are confusing the fact that it's illegal to manufacture them, import them, with using them. And I haven't seen any of those folks myself.
I get customers who ask if there's a better

I would take that to mean that they know it's illegal to manufacture the most common incandescents and you generally can't buy the most common ones anymore. And who knows which ones will be illegal next.

There may be some confusion. But most people know the govt has been banning and extending the ban on the most popular incandescent lights. I don't see anyone here worried about using ones they already have.
| I just bought a couple of 40 and 60 watt LEDs. | | I would not be surprised if _each_ of those bulbs lasts my lifetime. | | Beautiful light quality and no more bulb changing. | What's not to like? |
Besides the price? I guess we'll just have to wait and see. And of course it depends on how old you are. :)
On Saturday, December 13, 2014 10:14:56 AM UTC-5, Mayayana wrote:

They are down to $5, which certainly seems affordable.

Not in my house. When the federal thugs first started talking about banning light bulbs I stocked up. We have pretty much a lifetime supply in the basement of 40, 60, 75, and 100 watt bulbs as well as 50/100/150 three-ways. (We also do not use low-flow toilets or shower heads.)
On 12/13/2014 3:48 PM, Roger Blake wrote:

for Jews ^h^h^h^h light bulbs. Resistance is futile.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/13/2014 3:48 PM, Roger Blake wrote:

I can agree on the shower heads but I did have a shower-saver that gave a great shower. Not sure of the flow but it was a nice pattern.
As for the rest, you are free to waste your money. In the pst year I switched to 2 toilets with 1.6 gallon flush and they perform better than the old 3 and 5 gallon flushers we had. The older models from a dozen years ago were useless but now they are excellent. Comfort height too!

An unintended side effect of this is snow will accumulate on the traffic light lenses and block them from view. A friend of mine had an accident due to this when someone ran a (snow-blocked) red light.
On 12/13/2014 3:50 PM, Roger Blake wrote:

that helps keep the snow off. Like the old filament bulbs, but costs more.
First they came for the 100 watt light bulbs. I didn't speak up; as I didn't use 100 watt light bulbs.
Then, they came for the 75 watt light bulbs. I didn't speak up; as I didn't use 75 watt light bulbs.
Then, they came for the 60 watt light bulbs. I didn't speak up; as I didn't use 60 watt light bulbs.
Then, they came for me. And there was no one left to speak up for me.