Best way to 'stain' woodfill?

I have some dark (walnut-colored) stained doors that I need to apply some woodfill patches to.
- What is the best way to stain the woodfill?
In the past I have found that hardened woodfill (I use the Elmer's stuff) does not take stain very will.
-Would it be better to mix a few drops of stain to the woodfill *before* applying it?
Any other suggestions?
If the area to be filled is small like a scratch or a nail hole, you may get better match from the wax crayon type filler. They can be gotten in a range of colors to match.
Mixing might help but additional coats might work just as well. If you still don't like the results, try a different type of filler or mix sawdust of the same wood with glue. Oil and water based stains will be taken up differently as well. Oil will probably penetrate better.

Paint stores not HD have special colored putty for this, one brand has maybe 10 colors available, usualy mixing of 2 will get you your color.
Frequently suggested is toe apply a coat of finish to the slabe so you have a target color to shoot for. Color the filler material and cover with finish on a piece of scrap to test rather than test on the door. Proceed from there. I'm making some small boxes with finger joints and had some gaps on the backside out of sight during the clamp time. I mixed a little sanding dust with shellac to fill the voids and the same shellac will be used for final finish.

If you use a product called "Water Putty" (comes in a round can), it will absorb stain.