Best common 18 V tool battery?

I do a lot of window shopping, but just in case I'm missing something... What is the most powerful 18 V tool battery that is commonly available? Personally, I need the most runtime (amp hours).

Thanks.

Reply to
John Doe

Hi, I'd say Lithium pack. I have spare battery. While one is being used, one is charging up.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

You need to do a bit more window shopping and do some math. The highest rated battery will last no longer if it is mounted on a tool drawing much more power than a lower rated tool and a modest rated battery. The old rule of "you get what you pay for" applies pretty well though. Avoid the low end brands.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I am shopping for a battery. The tool it normally goes with is irrelevant. In the expression "tool battery", the word "tool" describes the battery type.

Reply to
John Doe

Same scenario applies, except that different brands of batteries don't mix. Go to a rebuilder and get the original battery outifitted with the best cells available. Or buy the cells and rebuild your own.

for starters.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Sure the tool is relavant, you cant mix. LiIon with greatest amps, and they vary by brand. And quality they vary in quality by brand. So who can answer you.

Reply to
ransley

Yes, that's the best strategy. I've never drained a battery faster than the spare charged. I have ten of the 12V Bosch batteries to rotate through. ;-)

Reply to
krw

You are clueless.

Reply to
John Doe

Is that a BabelFish translation?

Reply to
John Doe

It is pushing a wheel.

N04/ (without the @)

I am having fun learning to use it various ways and it and will probably get some upgrades and modifications, including batteries.

A problem with some lithium ion batteries is that they have three outputs, so AFAIK they might be stuck to the same controller as the tool uses. But some like DeWalt's lithium ion batteries plug into older tools, so that means they can use simple two battery connection points to any ordinary controller. Maybe I should have noted that, but the idea expressed by one of the other reply authors that batteries must be used with the tool they are made for is just ignorant.

Thanks.

Reply to
John Doe

They have three outputs? Is that what you meant or did you mean they have three terminals? Often the third terminal is attached to a thermistor that feeds info to the charger in order to disable charging if the battery is too hot or too cold.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

Or contacts. Or leads. Or connectors. Etc. Three metal thingies that connect to three other metal thingies.

But seriously...

Some also have three connectors going to the tool. I have one right here, a Bosch 36 V hammer drill with battery. It has three connectors that are used by both, the charger and the tool. Inside of the battery case, it has a temperature sensor. I suppose the tool also uses the temperature sensor. If the temperature sensor is necessary for operation, maybe the DeWalt lithium ion batteries use the sensor to shut the battery down from within the battery. That would be better since I will only use the voltage plus and minus connectors.

Reply to
John Doe

Often Li-ion tools have the battery controller in the battery itself. The third wire is a serial link (HDQ) between the controller chip and the charger. NiCds and NiMH batteries have thermistors to do charge control but Li-Ion charging is more complicated so the controller is often packaged with the battery.

Reply to
krw

"John Doe" wrote

Too funny. There is no such thing as a "tool battery" unless you are referring to batteries in a proprietary case specific to a particular tool. Otherwise, a battery is a battery.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

There may not be "tool cells" but there certainly *are* tool batteries. They only fit one (make of) tool.

Reply to
krw

Hmmmm.... let me get this straight.

You ask a vague, open ended question. Fail to disclose what you're really trying to accomplish. Insult one of the AHR regulars.

you're expecting help?

Is Google broken at your house?

"It is pushing a wheel." "....they have three outputs.." "....three connectors......"

Words have meaning, vocabulary matters.....

you're calling others "ignorant"?

3.0ah is probably the max energy capacity for readily available "tool batteries"

If you knew what you were doing you could do the calcs and design / build a custom battery pack for your application.

GL

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

UseNet protocol would have you reply in context to whatever it is you have a problem with, Jack.

You are full of it, Jack.

I reply in kind, Jack.

Your "help" is shit to me, Jack.

Your mother googled just fine, Jack.

Or was it "ogled"... Hmm, I guess either works.

No shit, Jack. I helped define a very common word you hear every day all day long. Semantics is my thing. But here on UseNet, communications is what matters. And if English is your second language, you definitely don't want to be nit picking on native English speakers.

If you want to discuss the appropriate terminology for battery connectors, Jack, use an electronics group. If you want to talk about semantics in general, try (alt.usage.english).

A big ego pretending to be a he-man group protector won't stop others from expressing themselves in unmoderated UseNet groups, Jack.

Reply to
John Doe

John-

You're being a jerk, you need some feedback. I'd do the same if you were abusing your server in restaurant or a sales person in a store. Express yourself, just don't be a jerk while doing it.

Anonymity on usenet gives you cover for your bad behavior.

Native English speakers? WTF? Now you're a racist?

btw, I think I've got it figured out..... the "very common word" that you helped define.

What's with calling everyone "Jack"? You must think that's cool.

GL

Reply to
DD_BobK