Battery Problem

Page 2 of 2

I used to fight this problem every Spring and Fall (temp change). The cure is to totally disconnect the battery cables, use a terminal brush (inside and outside), reattach and coat with grease to seal out the air. The corrosion causes high resistence that lets the radio and lights to work, but won't permit cranking the stater.
Also, one time the problem turned out to be a slipping fan belt. The alternator wasn't recharging the battery.
Joseph Meehan wrote:

Damn complicated cars! But that's good advice. He might want to ask the dealership about what he can expect to happen when the battery is disconnected on his particular car. The fancier it is and the more accessories, the more things are likely to happen.

Removing the battery cable will cause your radio presets to be lost,and perhaps even the EFI will clear its memory and take a few days to relearn it's calibrations.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

NSN wrote:

Well, a damn simple "no additional equipment needed" test would be to just disconnect one battery cable, let things sit for 3 days and then reconnect it. If the car starts like a charm, you have your answer. If it won't, it's the battery.
But, it sure sounds to me like the guy you're talking to at the dealer had his alimentary track completely reversed.
Jeff
--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

And he loses his radio when the anti-theft memory code is lost.I hope he keeps the code where it will not get lost.Also,the EFI may lose it's calibrations,and revert to open-loop operation for a few days.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
Jim Yanik wrote:
<snipped>

Probably he would anyway, if the battery went down far enough through whatever his current (pun intended) problem is. <G>
Jeff
--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

BMW 3 series has a climate control recall recently, if you let it sit for a couple of days it still draws current and the car will not start. Maybe this is similiar.
NSN wrote:

If the dealer did an amp/hour test is sounds like he really tested the battery. However, you can prove whether it the battery or parasitic draw by simply disconnecting one pole checking the voltage after 6 hours and use that as a base and then checking the voltage after 3 days. Harbor Freight has cheap digital voltmeters ($4.00) if you don't have one. If there is any significant change in 3 days you have a bad battery. Full charge should be around 12.75 V at full charge. And of course while the battery pole is off you can connect your voltmeter between the pole and the cable (in series) to measure the amps. (be sure you pull the hood lamp when you do the test. Any significant amperage will be bad.
As an example, my F-150 truck will sit for 2 months and not drop more than 0.3 V. I once installed a replacement radio in a vehicle and found that it drew so much power when off that voltage was low enough to make starting hard when left for 2 weeks. I liked the radio so I installed a switch in the hot lead and turned it off anytime I was going to let the vehicle sit for more than a day. Of course in lost memory of stations when switched off, but then I only listen to one station most of the time.

And 80% is about 12.6 V and 20% is around 12 V.

Once the voltage has settled to a "during-discharge" voltage as opposed to one for "during charge" or "recently charged and not discharged since", light loads (a couple amps or less) do not have significant effect on the voltage at the battery terminals. A car battery approx. 82-85% charged when being charged with just an amp or two has about 13.8 volts, and when discharging that much current has about 12.6 volts. But if you measure the voltage somewhere other than the battery terminals themselves, voltage drops due to current flowing through wiring or through coroded connections may be significant.
Another thing: Battery condition, temperature and other factors can have a major effect on what percentage of full charge you need to start the engine.
I should have noted in my original response that you may also have a problem with the charging system. It may not be charging fully.
Many auto parts stores will check the battery and charging circuits for free. It is not 100% certain, but they get it right most of the time.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 23:56:42 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

Thanks to all you guys. I am in the process of checking all out. I have disconnected the battery, checked the cold cranking amps and also the current draw. I have some good meters left over from my boating days.
The CCA is at now at 365 .. not a full charge but enough to start the car. The current draw starts at .67 amps and drops slowly to about 4.6. I will leave the battery disconnected until Monday. If the CCA remains unchanged that should rule out the battery. I will then start pulling fuses, etc. I shall also contact the dealer to make another appointment. I have printed out all your notes to take along. I have not decided if I will highlight all of your opinions concerning the service manager ;-)
I did check the entire car in total darkness and see no lights on .. anywhere.
When the problem is resolved I will post the results.
Again .. thanks to all.
Norm

It drops from 0.67 amps TO 4.6 amps? That's an increase,not a drop. Or do you mean 6.7A to 4.6A? That's a pretty hefty current draw,IMO. It should be less than 1 A,I believe.
I will leave the battery disconnected until Monday. If the CCA

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
NSN wrote:

guess you have a lamp on somewhere. Had one a while ago that had a lamp in the rear view mirror. But if you looked in the dark you should have seen it. How about under the hood or trunk?
A common problem in cases like this is a bad alternator. Blocking diodes can be leaky and cause just such drainage. Used to be a common problem in Nissan vehicles some years ago. The easy check is to simply disconnest the alternator lead wire at the unit or cable connector, whichever is handier. Let things sit for a period of time and test for starting abilility. Doesn't drop computer or radio codes either. HTH
Joe