Battery Drain Mystery

Back when I was fixing consumer electronics for a living, sometimes a TV in the shop would turn on or off, or changes channels when I wiped the tip of my soldering iron on a damp sponge.

Reply to
salty

I've looked inside those remote controls, they would bang a short piece of metal that worked like a tuning fork to generate the ultrasonic frequencies. Later in the late 70's, a grandmother had a tv with a solid state version that drove an ultrasonic transducer.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Maybe this was newer than I remember, but I really don't think so. It had, I'm guessing, what you call an ultrasonic transducer. Inside I can picture an aluminum case about 1" x 2" x 1/4" with a thin metal *thing* that pointed out of the remote, I think covered with metal mesh or something for protection.

Now that I think about the late 70's again, I'm sure they were up to remotes that had as many as 10 buttons and used IR. The ultrasonic one I was talking about only had 4 commands, channel up, channel down, volume up, and volume down.

I never saw the type with the tuning forks, that's neat to know.

Reply to
Tony

The "hard" power switch is on the back of the power supply? Out of reach where nobody uses it, if they even know it's there. I;'ve had service calls where the customer can't turn the computer on. Because that "unknown" switch was accidentally bumped off.

When you use the normal switch or tell the computer to shut off, it is still drawing power.

Not so on MOST laptops, which have a real OFF as well as a standby position. - but the laptop power supply still draws power if it is plugged in. NO power to any ports or peripherals though when turned OFF.

Reply to
clare

We had a B&W TV back in the late 60's like that. It would change channels every time the Phone rang.

Congoleum Breckenridge

Most ATX systems don't have the "hard" switch. All ATX systems have "soft" power control.

Yep.

Nope. It's still a "soft" power off. There is no physical switch in the power source.

Reply to
krw

Some early CFL lights interfered with IR remote control TV sets.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

It may be "soft" in that it is not a load carrying switch, but it does not keep anything turned on - nothing is powered up when the system is turned off - the battery simply provides voltage to the "dead" side of the switch, which activates the solid state version of a relay to power up the system when you push the switch.

Reply to
clare

You said that virtually NO desktops built in the last 15 years had a hard power switch. I pointed out that mine, and many others DO have a hard power switch. Now you are saying they do. I guess you must have forgotten or something, as you are now disagreeing with your previous statement.

Bottom line - MANY ATX pc's built in the last 15 years HAVE a hard power switch. Clare just has trouble finding it. He's a computer tech, you know!

Reply to
salty

All 20 or so that I've had or worked on in the past 5 years all had a "hard" switch in the back of the power supply. Maybe I'm just lucky?

Reply to
Tony

It is more of a cutoff switch than a power switch. You can't turn a PC on using that switch.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

No, it's a real power switch. When you turn it on the *front end* of the power supply is powered up. It has to be on for the little on/off button on the front to work. Same in reverse. Turn the pc off with a little button in the front, or using windows "turn off" method and the front end of the power supply stays turned on as long as the power switch is on. (and if it's plugged in and you have power........)

Reply to
Tony

an earlier home automation adapter -- phone in to remote control your household

Reply to
AZ Nomad

We have different definitions. If you can't turn a PC on with it, it isn't a power switch. It is a cutoff switch.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Obviously the power management logic is still powered on; the definition of "soft" power.

Reply to
krw

Yep. That's *not* in the ATX standard. It's a power supply feature.

Reply to
krw

You can, at least on some, if you set the power recovery options in BIOS. It is a power supply switch, though, and not a system power switch.

Reply to
krw

NWR

Reply to
Tony

No more than the socket on the power cord is a power switch. You can pull the plug out of the socket, shove it back it to restore power. Have fun.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

...and how is a "real" power switch different?

Reply to
krw