Battery Drain Mystery

All 20 or so that I've had or worked on in the past 5 years all had a "hard" switch in the back of the power supply. Maybe I'm just lucky?

Yep. That's *not* in the ATX standard. It's a power supply feature.

NWR
On Fri, 07 May 2010 20:35:30 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

You said that virtually NO desktops built in the last 15 years had a hard power switch. I pointed out that mine, and many others DO have a hard power switch. Now you are saying they do. I guess you must have forgotten or something, as you are now disagreeing with your previous statement.
Bottom line - MANY ATX pc's built in the last 15 years HAVE a hard power switch. Clare just has trouble finding it. He's a computer tech, you know!

It is more of a cutoff switch than a power switch. You can't turn a PC on using that switch.
AZ Nomad wrote:

No, it's a real power switch. When you turn it on the *front end* of the power supply is powered up. It has to be on for the little on/off button on the front to work. Same in reverse. Turn the pc off with a little button in the front, or using windows "turn off" method and the front end of the power supply stays turned on as long as the power switch is on. (and if it's plugged in and you have power........)

We have different definitions. If you can't turn a PC on with it, it isn't a power switch. It is a cutoff switch.
On Sat, 08 May 2010 09:19:00 -0500, AZ Nomad

Well, if we can define it any way we want, then it's an anti-gravity margarita mixer switch.
Otherwise, it's a power switch

You can, at least on some, if you set the power recovery options in BIOS. It is a power supply switch, though, and not a system power switch.
On Sat, 08 May 2010 09:52:16 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz

No more than the socket on the power cord is a power switch. You can pull the plug out of the socket, shove it back it to restore power. Have fun.

...and how is a "real" power switch different?
On Sat, 08 May 2010 14:25:34 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

The REAL power switch can start a normally configured machine. To start an ATX computer without the soft power switch you need to enable the"restart on power failure" OPTION in the bios - which is NOT part od the ATX standard, but an OPTION, which not all computers have or support..
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Chuckle. I had to figure out how to DISable that on several of my machines. Elsewise, if the power blipped in the middle of the night or when I was out of the house, I'd walk in the back room and find all of them running, when I knew I had told them to shut down. Very disconcerting until I figured it out. The power has momentary dropouts a lot around here in thunderstorm season- I've REALLY got to figure out how to get those UPS boxes apart so I can go buy new batteries for them.
--
aem sends...

aemeijers wrote:

Would it boot up if turned off, or when it was in sleep mode? Must be in sleep mode or you would need another computer inside your computer to wake it up with!
I leave mine on sleep most of the time, power consumption is darn near zero. I disable the "Wake up on... ring, PME, KBC, Mouse, or alarm. Only wakeup is "any key". I love disabling the wakeup on mouse so every time I bump the desk too hard the mouse doesn't accidentally wake it up. I just hit any key to wake it up. (although it took me weeks to find the "any key".)
On Sat, 08 May 2010 16:16:58 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

A distinction without a difference.
On Sat, 08 May 2010 14:25:34 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz

It switches power? you use it to turn someting on and off? In the case of an ATX computer, it is an solid state switch within the power supply, controlled by the motherboard with a momentary switch on thecase for the user interface. Cutoff switches which may or may not exist are frankly irrelevent.

I see you're back to your denser than stone mode.
On Sat, 08 May 2010 20:26:53 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz

I see you've lost the argument are simply being a complete shit.

Nah, loser, you beat me to that by a mile.
On Sat, 08 May 2010 08:32:29 -0500, AZ Nomad

Well, that isn't a problem, since we are talking about being able to turn a computer completely off, not turning it on.