Battery boost

A bad idea on older cars too. On my way home from work one day I noticed my ammeter was reading way high. '66 Ford F-100 with 352. Stopped at a gas station and told the mechanic to check it out. He disconnected a battery cable while it was running - don't know which one. The heater fan took off like a jet engine, and a bunch of fuses blew, and a couple tail light bulbs. And I shut it down almost instantly with the ignition key. Drove it home (about 1/2 mile) and fixed everything. Think the alt had failed with an open diode. Unusual fail mode.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Prolly true. I got nothing newer than '90. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Heck, even my radios complain when I unhook the battery.

"Enter Code"

It's a security feature that I hope the thieves know about. It's no help to me if they rip out the radio and then can't use it without the code. I'd still be without a radio. All I can hope is that the thieves know about the feature and move on to the next vehicle.

I don't recall if it was in this forum or another, but one guy was saying that he lives without a radio because he refuses to pay a dealer the $50 they want to look up the code for his radio. He changed his battery and now has no working radio.

I've got 3 Honda's with that feature. Luckily I have the codes for all 3.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Mark Lloyd posted for all of us...

Like Tesla? Take your hoverboard along in case one needs to keep warm after the car fire.

Reply to
Tekkie®

notbob posted for all of us...

Ya think?