Bathtub, surround quandry...acrylic, fiberglass, Swanstone, Veritek, etc.etc.etc.

I am ripping out a one piece tub and replacing it with a new tub and surround. I'm on a tight budget but still want decent quality. The more I look the more options I have...three and five piece surrounds, acrylic, high-gloss something or others, Swanstone, Veritek, who knows. I believe right now my tub is attached to the studs. The bottom is cracking up because it was installed without any support beneath it, and it's a horrid beige anyway. Through the years I have been able to scrub it with anything, and the surface looks fine, so I'd like to get something somewhat scrubable...not some sissy finish that needs to be handled with chamois cloth and waxed and polished, and ends up ruined when Grandma comes to visit, does me a favor and scrubs it with Comet. I can't make up my mind...any stories out there to help me?
On Jul 12, 4:53 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Do you want a professional opinion?
On Jul 12, 3:53 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Our house has had a Kohler K 1571 shower/tub module for over a decade. Comes in two pieces that come apart to let you get it in the door and assemble on site. Identical to their one piece modules. IMO, best way to go, no fuss with erxtra surround panels. Sits flat on the floor, no reinforcemnt needed. Must be nailed to studs like any one-piece, but that just makes the overlapping drywall job that much easier. Has a rock hard gel coat over thick fiberglass, which in our case has survived the impact of teen-agers very well. The price was higher than many we looked at then, but considering the peformance and durability as $ per year, it was a bargain. I'd do the same thing again in a heartbeat if I had to do another bathroom upgrade. HTH
Joe
I don't have a plastic tub in my current house but comet was actually recommended for my last one. It is not as abrasive as it used to be.