Fiberglass Bathtub Refinishing

I have a one-piece fiberglass bathtub/shower unit that is a green color and has a few small pits in the surface. I'd like to have the pits fixed and change the color to white.

I've checked with several vendors in the local area. Two of them offer to re-finish the existing unit for about $500, but one insists that you fiberglass units can't/shouldn't be re-finished and will only do a tear-out and replacement job for about $3500.

Can someone tell me who's giving the straight story?

Thanks,

Billy

Reply to
Billy Tew

In our previous house we have a fiberglass tub/shower unit refinished. We were there about 3 years after the job was done and it still looked good but you have to be careful cleaning it. Basically it is a fancy paint job. I believe it was a polyurethane type paint. Stay away from epoxy because it stains and changes color.

Reply to
Art

I am also reasonably sure that nobody refinishes a fiberglass tub. They are cheap and easy to replace. I could do it myself. $3500 to repalce a fiberglass tub is way too much. I mean the tub itself costs something like $100 to begin with.

Reply to
scott21230