bathroom fan not responding to a switch

Thanks everybody for the help with my flex conduit issues. The piece of string to measure the flex worked great. I have no idea what kind of connectors I used...some homedept special emt?->rigid "squeeze" connector and then a squeeze connector into the junction box. Worked great.
http://www.homedepot.com/Bath-Bath-Fans/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5Zaq7gZ1z136dc/R-100568247/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId051&catalogId053
Now I've wired everything back up and only have one problem...the fan I just installed wont turn off. It runs just fine...any ideas why the switch for it wouldn't work?
thanks
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

http://www.homedepot.com/Bath-Bath-Fans/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5Zaq7gZ1z136dc/R-100568247/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId051&catalogId053
Not enough info, is there just a switch loop feeding the fan? How many wires did you have to disconnect?
MikeB

only 2 wires for the fan...a black and a white.
the conduit i moved had a blue, green, orange, black, and white wires.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

sounds like the previous unit had a built in heater and/or light
time to break out the test light...
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

http://www.homedepot.com/Bath-Bath-Fans/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5Zaq7gZ1z136dc/R-100568247/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId051&catalogId053
Considering that you were replacing an existing unit, the new unit should have been connected exactly the same as the old one. I'm guessing it has something to do with that conduit you cut. Possibly you didn't reconnect the wires correctly
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

http://www.homedepot.com/Bath-Bath-Fans/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5Zaq7gZ1z136dc/R-100568247/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId051&catalogId053
switch leg down, they are supposed to mark the neutral used as a hot for the switch leg with tape or sharpie or whatever. That step is often skipped. I'm not expert electrician, so I will let one of them tell how to reverse-engineer it at this point. When I take a junction box apart, I make lots of diagrams and label wires, just so to avoid oopsies like this.
-- aem sends...

Take off the trim cover of the fan, make sure the fan motor is plugged in. The fan units inside have a detachable power cord that plugs into an outlet.
Mike rock wrote:

Uh, it won't turn OFF, not it won't turn ON. I think he accidentally hardwired it when he had the connections apart. -- aem sends...

Soory, misread the post.
On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 05:27:55 -0700 (PDT), Mike rock

No, you're right. Maybe it's plugged in when it shouldn't be. Don't let them push you around.
LOL

http://www.homedepot.com/Bath-Bath-Fans/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5Zaq7gZ1z136dc/R-100568247/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId051&catalogId053
*By disconnecting the wall switch does the fan stop?
Maybe you put both wires on the same side of the switch?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I'd be concerned that if you wired the switch wrong, maybe you wired something else wrong too and the case could be hot, etc.
I'd be *really* careful when I started troubleshooting.
Keep one hand in your pocket.

I'd also respectfully suggest that someone that doesn't have the basic skills to figure out why a switch doesn't turn off the fan should not be screwing around doing this job. You should have a sufficient grasp of the basics before attempting any job. Without sufficient skills, who knows what other unsafe conditions may have been created.

I'll add a respectful amen to that thought.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

I guess they taught us something at MIT.
Brass rat 78 here too.

That

I'll remember to my dying day the words from a Brit professor while we were tooling away in a "rotating electrical machinery" lab messing around with three phase motors and generators.
He said, "You men will never be real engineers until you learn to 'take a shock'".
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)