Basic footer question

Hi,
I hope this isn't too dumb, but...
I am planning a concrete pad for a BBQ adjacent to my existing patio. In the books I have read, most show the requirement of a footer under the pad's perimeter. The pad will be roughly 9 feet by 28 inches.
So, my question is, if the total weight of the installation is, say 1,500 pounds, and I live in an area that has clay soil and no freezing,
is it possible just to pour a thicker slab, say 8" with rebar and no footer, or is it necessary to dig down around the perimeter?
Thanks in advance.
jmgreen snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com Wrote:

Patio slabs require no footer. Footers are only required when there will be a structure built over th slab and the footer is needed to transfer the weight of the structure t the surrounding soil. What you are producing is simply a 'sidewalk' that requires n reinforcing bar, no footer, and can be 4" thick
-- manhattan4 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- manhattan42's Profile: http://homerepairforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=4 View this thread: http://homerepairforums.org/forums/showthread.php?tv34 This post was submitted via http://www.HomeRepairForums.or