dumb question but i gotta ask...

hi again,

okay...i've heard the terms "on center" kicked around a lot lately.

what does that mean?

i mean terms like "18" on center" or 24" on center.

does that mean to measure from the center of the board to the center of the next board?

Reply to
unclescrooge

Exactly. Normally referenced when doing construction site measuring. Studs are typically spaced 16" on center apart.

Reply to
Leon

That's exactly what it means. Commonly used in framing, when 16" on center translates into a 14.5" empty space between studs. It's done that way (in framing) so that the joints between sheets of drywall or sheathing meet in the center of a stud, to allow for 3/4" of nailing space for each sheet on the edges.

16" on center for walls, 24" on center for most floors and roof trusses.

As far as what it may mean on any given ww'ing project, the thinking may vary a bit (most likely to identify where fasteners should be placed to avoid missing with a nail gun or screws), but the concept remains the same.

Hope this helps- the only stupid question is the one you're afraid to ask.

Reply to
Prometheus

Yep.

Reply to
CW

Or measure from left side of stud to left side of next stud. (If your left handed measure from the right)

Reply to
cselby

Unless you are measuring something of two different widths.

Reply to
CW

This immediately brings to mind when I built my first shed and did the typical blocking up of 3 2x4 studs in the corners. Never having built such a structure (and not using plans) I was "green" to how the building goes together. I knew the studs would be 16" OC along the wall, but did not realize you measure 16" OC from the *first* stud, not the last one. So I ended up with some crazy cutting of the top plates, exterior siding and interior paneling. Was a tremendous hassle, but I made it work. Just one of those things when you look back on it and go "D'oh, how could I have done that?!" Live & learn.

Cheers! Dukester

Reply to
Dukester

Live and learn.

I built a bake yard storage building a couple of years ago. Fortunately my architectural drafting education many years ago came in to play during the design stage.

Reply to
Leon

thanks everyone...i was asking because i need to put a header up against the back of my house so i can build the cover for the patio.

i've got the support beams in front figured out...it was where to drill the holes for the header for my joist hangers that was tripping me up.

thanks!

Reply to
unclescrooge