Baseboard mounting

Page 1 of 2
I am about to put in new baseboard around my basement walls. The floor will be carpeted. I seem to recall, though I cannot recall where, I have seen the baseboard mounted 1/4" above floor level, rather than flush with the floor.
Is that correct, or should I just make it flush with the floor?
Thanks!

I'd keep it up about 1/4" or so. Remember that you need to put your finish floor down and that your base boards work on convertion. You need air flow from the bottom of the base board over your elements.
-paul
Just plain old baseboard...not heaters.

on 8/27/2007 3:24 PM H said the following:

Why not wait until the carpet is installed? It will be easier for the carpet installers.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

H wrote:

So, paint the baseboards but don't install them.

- I want to get the room painted before the carpet goes in.
Prime and paint the baseboard on some sawhorses before the carpet goes down. Install it after the carpet goes in, then just touch up the nail holes.
Odds are you going to have to touch up the baseboard anyway. The installers are bound scuff it up in a few spots, especially if the paint is fairly fresh.
Proper installation of the baseboard also involves caulking...and subsequent repainting...which I would rather do before the carpet goes in.

Caulking???
Why not just do a proper job to start with?

"Proper" without caulking? How do you do that? There are all sorts of imperfections in a wall, and caulking covers them.

A good craftsman can get the corners practically perfect. But my walls aren't perfectly flat. I caulked along the top edge and it looks nice. I also caulked the hack jobbed miter cuts because I'm not a good craftsman. Those look good too.

Precisely.
On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 13:49:58 -0700, frank megaweege

In Las Vegas, I've watched crews "shape and shim" interior walls (before sheet rock). They plane the inside stud or add shims (4 ft +/-). Using a long level they check the walls and fix problems. This happens in the _Street of Dreams_ homes.
The best book I read (imo) declares caulk as an essential tool/need for trim!
-- Oren
"I didnt say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."

We've become accustomed to second rate skills in most everything today. IMO, caulking just screams H A C K. Check out some of the best older homes and look for the caulk.

I really do appreciate older homes and the talent too build them.
What I don't like is that all the wires and recent breakers in the panel (recent observation) are in Spanish.
-- Oren

Probably installed by the same guy with the tube of caulk doing trim work today.

Find a house in Las Vegas and every one has caulk on trim. MDF 99.9%, not like real wood from back (east of the Misippnii -- Oren

(send by accident)
[Mississippi River]
The other day I had a chuckle when a wall was framed and stood up - minus three windows:) Not me, I'm DIY! -- Oren

- Proper installation of the baseboard also involves caulking...and subsequent - repainting...which I would rather do before the carpet goes in.
If you know so much about the proper installation of baseboard, how come you don't know if it goes on the floor or not? Kidding! ;-)
I'll grant you the caulking point, but I bet you'll be touching up the paint after the carpet gets installed anyway.

A good carpet guy will keep the rookie helper in the small closets to minimize damage (smiley faces from hammers).