Balancing valve

I picked up one of these cheap today, http://www.powerscontrols.com/pages/product_full.asp?pidG4&parCat !86&ref=2
I was hoping it was a diverter valve, but apparently not, I've never had one, what is the purpose of it, to begin with?

Can't handle money, eh?

I could spare $2, I'll Ebay it for a profit if I can't use it.

I think we have a version of this made by Delta. Ours is a bathtub/ showervalve that keeps the temperature of the water rather constant, independent of whether anyone flushes the toilet. While some of these valves work with thermostats, this one keeps the temperature constant by changing the flow of hot and cold in an inverse proportion to their pressure. No more jumping around in the shower because someone flushes ...
--
Best regards
Han

Thanks, that answers the question, I suspected something like that, but just never had the experience.

I love my Delta, and hate when I have to shower somewhere where there is no such valve. Dear SON!!! Pay attention, please!
--
Best regards
Han

I could easily work it in we have 3 full bathrooms, only one is used mainly as a shower, so that would be my target. I'll find a diverter, at my price to finish the upstairs project. I have so little in this part a little experimentation may be in order I have good access to the plumbing. So far only positive reviews, and humor poking at my cheapness, or perhaps incompetence, or both.

notice on the installation pdf.
--
Best regards
Han

I have identified your problem:
"I picked up one of these cheap today..."
Where did you pick it up?
Sounds like you didn't read enough off the box...
When you buy something because it was cheap, you seldom end up with exactly what you need...
Your solution in this case if you really want to use this valve is to install an independent diverter on the output of the mixing valve...
~~ Evan
Evan wrote:

But sometimes "cheap" is good enough. Take dating, for example...

Box?

Yes... Valves like that come packaged in boxes when they are new... If you bought it without the box then you are taking your life in your own hands because you could be missing pieces and not know it until after you have installed it...
This is why buying the cheapest thing you can find from ebay or elsewhere is not really a bargain... You also will not have any sort of warranty on the installed item since it was resold by someone who did not install it professionally...
~~ Evan

I tried to find statistics on how many people have been killed by unboxed balancing valves. Maybe I'm using the wrong search terms, but I found none. Do you have a reference?

I'm not sure I follow you here. Any plumbing item not installed by a professional gets the warranty voided? All that stuff at Home Depot that is bought by amateurs is no longer covered unless they do the install? This is important to know since the OP here has $2 invested and I'm sure he is concerned. Maybe he could have bought an extended warranty.
If you're talking about the Delta version, the complete valve is kind of a no-brainer. It's a machined brass casting that is sweat to the incoming and outgoing lines and has a cartridge that inserts and is held in place with a ring nut. I don't see that as taking your life in your hands, even metaphorically. Parts to make up for whatever might have been missing are bubble pack items at Lowe's and HD. I have them in our showers and keep a couple new cartridges in my shop for replacements, since our water eats plumbing quickly here. Changing out a cartridge or even cleaning the old one and slapping in new cup washers can be done in 10-15 minutes, usually.
Nonny

WTF, LOL thanks Ed for handling that one. the horror, exploding plumbing valves on the next Geraldo.
Or why not get a bathtub filling spout with a built-in diverter?

The spout I have is 14K gold plated, and the replacement would be more expensive and less satisfactory than a diverter valve.