OT: Texas to EPA: "That stinks"

Letter to Lisa Jackson, Administrator EPA

"In order to deter challenges to your plan for centralized control of industrial development through the issuance of permits for greenhouse gases, you have called upon each state to declare its allegiance to the EPA's recently enacted greenhouse gas regulations - regulations that are plainly contrary to United States law. To encourage acquiescence with your unsupported findings you threaten to usurp state enforcement authority and to federalize the permitting program of any state that fails to pledge fealty to the EPA.

"On behalf of the State of Texas, we write to inform you that Texas has neither the authority nor the intention of interpreting, ignoring, or amending its laws..."

[...]

Signed

Bryan W. Shaw Chairman Texas Commission on Environmental Quality

Greg Abbot Attorney General of Texas

I wish I had the popcorn concession...

Reply to
HeyBub

This reminds of a case when the feds wanted to tell Texas how to run it's prisons (long story).

Judge told the feds (paraphrased): "There is Texas Law and there is Federal Law. Now get the hell out of Texas!!"

Reply to
Oren

I wish Abbott would run for governor instead of Perry.

Reply to
RBnDFW

I was hoping for Costello.

Reply to
Tony

For those of you who may not wish to wade through the details of this letter, let me summarize the issues in a nutshell:

There is a gas that plants love and use to live (Carbon Dioxide known as CO2) that all animals also breath out as waste. It is a minor trace element in the atmosphere. In large concentrations (where oxygen is eliminated) it can suffocate you and for that reason is sometimes used in fire extinguishers. But it is an important food for plants and part of earth cycles. It is also a standard combustion product of fires. It is NOT a "nasty" type of chemical pollutant such as the industrial waste products that the EPA usually deals with. It is something plants need and want to live.

A bunch of power-elite have cooked up a scheme to tax the very air you breath by asserting that CO2 is causing catastrophic global weather changes (warming). There is next to no evidence that such a thing is possible let alone happening, but nevertheless many scientific organizations, politicians (Algore) and media have been enlisted into promoting this taxation scam. The tax scam has been termed "cap and trade". Congress has shown next to no interest in passing it.

But in spite of scandal where the "international" climate committee (IPCC) was caught discussing faking data and how to "spin" science to support their stories, nevertheless the beat goes on. But given slowing momentum for "cap and trade" legislation, Obama decided to simply implement the plan by decree using his position as King of America.

So what was done was to have the EPA "declare" CO2 to be a "pollutant gas" and that therefore would put it under their "regulation". As you can see from the letter, they are demanding that all states submit to their authority to do this. Other than the fact it is obvious nonsense, so far few states have gone one way or the other. Texas, however, is blowing the whistle long and loud on this illegal scheme. This "backdoor" taxation scheme has been called into question by Texas A.G. Greg Abbot and we can only hope that ALL other states soon follow.

What can I say? GOD BLESS TEXAS!!!!!!

Reply to
Benj

Benj wrote in news:019a2e5c-ce82-42f3-99fe- snipped-for-privacy@q22g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

Ostrich. Dumb ostrich. Read some other stuff, but not letters from politicians. Who knows, you might learn something. I'm not saying that the human generation of several times the norma CO2 concentration of the last several thousand years is the only cause of global warming, but look at it this way:

Your leg was hurting, so you started to hit it with a sledge hammer. Why continue hitting your leg with that hammer? You're claiming it hurt before you started hitting the leg and therefore the hitting has nothing to do with the pain you have now. Sounds stupid to me, but then I do have my leg in a cast because I slipped and broke it. But now I take care of it, and my sledge hammer is truly out of reach.

Have a nice day!

Reply to
Han

The amount of CO2 that humans have put into the atmosphere is unmeasurablly small. It is certainly insignificant compared to the amount of CO2 put into the air by mother nature.

There are several things wrong, criminally wrong, with one side of the current climate debate:

  1. Projections are not proof of anything.
  2. These "projections" are not only suspect, the data used to generate them have (a) been tampered with (b) disappeared, or (c) fabricated.
  3. The climate scientists have, many believe, confused cause with effect. That is, the warming came first and it caused the increase in CO2.
  4. There are better, much better, theories that explain warming and CO2 concentrations. The duodecennial variation (similar to El Nino, only of longer duration).*
  5. The "fix" according to the GW enthusiasts is to forgo convenient energy use and either do without or curtail energy use dramatically. They want to return, at least in the short run, to a life that is painful, brutal, and short.
  6. Even if, arguendo, humans cause CO2 and CO2 causes warming, it will be cheaper and better to deal with any adverse consequences than to try to prevent global warming. In many cases, humans would be BETTER OFF if the earth warmed several degrees (longer growing seasons, fewer weather-related deaths, etc.).

--------

  • The duodecinnial variation is a result of the Pacific Ocean being a giant heat sink. The variation cycle is about forty years long. A warm earth generates more clouds. The clouds reflect sunlight and the earth cools. A cooler earth generates fewer clouds and the Pacific heats up. From 1940 to the late '70s, the earth cooled. Then the variation reversed and we are now in the "warm" cycle. We can expect the earth to begin cooling in the next few years as a result of this cycle.

If the GW alarmists have their way, they'll be glad to claim the normal cooling a result of their efforts.

Reply to
HeyBub

Yeah...what you said. And related to number 6: there is no evidence that humans have the ability to do anything that significantly reduces CO2. I'm assuming that deliberate global deforestation and crop destruction is not an option.

--Wayne

Reply to
Wayne

OH MY GAWD! Do you realize that the deadly, EVIL gas, CO2, has GONE UP to ALMOST 38 parts per hundred thousand in lovely GAIA'S atmosphere? And SOON, SOON it will top FORTY parts per hundred thousand. AND THEN our lovely GAIA will turn into a flaming cinder as this nonflamable gas consumes the atmosphere!

BE AFRAID! BE VERY AFRAID!

And one way to aswage your WHITE GUILT over contributions of DEADLY CO2 would be to STOP BREATHING! Do it for GAIA!

Reply to
Fiftycal

Well, there is one plan to paint every roof in the world WHITE to reflect heat. But that would be inherently RACIST! At least that is what Obammao said.

Reply to
Fiftycal

I know maths is hard, but bear with me.

The concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere is about 380 parts per million. Compared to the 57,600 sq ft on a football field, the CO2 concentration represents about 22 square feet.

That 22 square feet is larger than the chalk outline of a refree who was stabbed six times by irate fans after he made three consecutive bad calls against the home team, and the increase in CO2 is roughly equivalent to the spreading blood stain on the Astroturf as the sonofabitch bled out.

Reply to
HeyBub

You don't quite have the analogy right, do you? Let's say your leg aches a little bit, or maybe you just imagine that it does. And then the politicians start telling you that if you don't DO something RIGHT NOW, that leg is going to really start to hurt and when it does you are going to die! Well, everybody knows that aches and pains come from diet so we just need to reduce your "food footprint" and everything will work out fine. How to do that? No problem. Just tax the daylights out of foot so that your food costs are doubled and send the money (after administrative costs, natch) to the Third world. And you are saved!

The only problem is that you have no idea what is actually causing the pain. And next to no proof that food is doing it. But the scare is that if you delay until the proof actually exists, it will be too late for you and you will die! So you'd better start forking out cash right now! Of course unmentioned is the fact that you probably DO have some serious health issues that DO need attention and just perhaps your money would be better spent addressing real rather than imaginary problems.

Point is (as others here have pointed out) one could absolutely destroy civilization and return to the dark ages and it would hardly put a dent in the current CO2 levels. There are quite inexpensive ways to deal with warming if it dis suddenly become a problem, such as upper atmosphere seeding that you never hear anyone mention. Why do something cheap and effective when you can make a lot more money forcing everyone to pay for something totally futile.

Have a nice warm summer day!

Reply to
Benj

Over 31000 scientist and 9000 phd's have signed a petition saying that globulloney warming is "unproven" .

The purpose of the Petition Project is to demonstrate that the claim of ?settled science? and an overwhelming ?consensus? in favor of the hypothesis of human-caused global warming and consequent climatological damage is wrong. No such consensus or settled science exists. As indicated by the petition text and signatory list, a very large number of American scientists reject this hypothesis. Publicists at the United Nations, Mr. Al Gore, and their supporters frequently claim that only a few ?skeptics? remain ? skeptics who are still unconvinced about the existence of a catastrophic human-caused global warming emergency. It is evident that 31,487 Americans with university degrees in science ? including 9,029 PhDs, are not "a few." Moreover, from the clear and strong petition statement that they have signed, it is evident that these 31,487 American scientists are not ?skeptics.? These scientists are instead convinced that the human-caused global warming hypothesis is without scientific validity and that government action on the basis of this hypothesis would unnecessarily and counterproductively damage both human prosperity and the natural environment of the Earth.

Reply to
Slim

Actually Wayne, one CAUSE of the rise of CO2 is deliberate deforestation! [Plants take in CO2 and give out oxygen] This nonsense mostly in the tropics has been part of world bank schemes that loan huge sums to Third World banana republics where they know it will be squandered and then later they come back to collect and offer to take the countries natural resources (say rainforest) to pay off the loans. As a result there has been HUGE deforestation of tropical rain forests. Why? You think maybe to build fine furniture or musical instruments? Nay. Sent to Japan to make plywood for cement forms for construction. And of course, the people behind the schemes that caused some of this problem are the SAME people promoting the energy tax scheme to "fix" what they helped cause! Typical.

Reply to
Benj

Slim wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Mr. Duncan and others: I sure hope that you are right. But I stick with the idea that CO2 (and methane) are greenhouse gases, and that their increase doesn't help us stay cool. I also think that the Russian forest fires don't put enough smoke and soot high enough into the startosphere to counteract any of the recent warming trends. That would require ore than a few Mount Pinotbo- type volcanic eruptions. I willhave a great day with my grandson's 4th birthday, and the great weather we will be having today in North Jersey.

Reply to
Han

4 years is a great age for little kids to be entertaining, they're old enough to understand most of what you say and young enough to believe everything you tell them. I had one 4 year old believing that I had eaten him up and he was in my stomach where I told him to be quiet. The same little critter was in whinny mode demanding an item of some sort one day when I said to him, "Now Tommy, what's the magic word, what do you say when you'd like someone to give you something?" He looked up at an angle and you could see the little wheels spinning behind his eyes when he suddenly shouted, "AKRABADABRA!" while throwing his hands in the air in his best magician fashion. One thing you can try on your grandson is to tell him you are going to unscrew his bellybutton so his behind falls off. I have twin girlfriends I met when they were 3 years old and I had them convinced their behinds would fall off if I got to their tummies and unscrewed their bellybuttons so every time they saw me, they covered their little tummies with their hands. Now that they are teenagers, the response is still there, all I have to do is make the twisting motion with my hand and the reaction is the same. Both at the same time will cover their tummies. 8-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Which brings this quote to the surface: "Historically, the claim of consensus has been the first refuge of scoundrels; it is a way to avoid debate by claiming that the matter is already settled." Michael Crichton (1942 - 2008), Caltech Michelin Lecture, January 17,

2003
Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Small is not the same as insignificant. Small traces can have big effect. The tetanus toxin is fatal at doses at 2.5 nanograms per kilogram of body weight or

0.0000000000025%.

-- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

In addition, the percentage of CO2 in the atmosphere has increased. It's increased so much that the entire human output of CO2 since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution can't account for the mass of CO2 added to the atmosphere.

What the environmentalists don't want to discuss is, where is the CO2 coming from? Much of it seems to be coming from active volcanos and other "natural" sources, but that's irrelevant, because natural sources don't justify social engineering.

-Raf

Reply to
Misifus

It's time to appease the gods of old by throwing virgins into the volcanos' maws.

Where can we find people so ugly they MUST be virgins?

Let me think...

Reply to
HeyBub