Bad tires---front or back

side-mount right behind the driver's door, in front of the fender (or in the front of the fender) and outside the box - like on my '57 Fargo custom express.
On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 00:38:40 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Mine's been where it is for over 40 years with no corrosion issues ;) I can see why they put them where they do on modern trucks, but I do wish they'd give the hardware a bit more shileding and whatever so that it does work when you need it (otherwise there's little point in having a spare at all!)
(Truck I mentioned having in the Aussie outback had a whole winch system for lowering the spare from the underside - it was a new vehicle when I had it, so it worked when I needed it, but I didn't fancy the chances of it lasting more than a few years before it either broke or jammed up solid!)
cheers
Jules
On Sat, 4 Sep 2010 17:43:15 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson

have gone to stainless steel cables instead of galvanized, which has helped a lot, but has not totally solved the problems.
On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 00:38:40 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

On Mon, 06 Sep 2010 20:37:32 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Good. It'll save me some money.
On 9/3/2010 2:43 PM, HeyBub wrote:

to get it out without getting filthy, and as you noted, the hanging hardware is very prone to failure.
--
aem sends...

On Fri, 3 Sep 2010 18:05:21 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson

On Fri, 03 Sep 2010 16:19:13 -0400, clare wrote:

I've needed a couple in the last decade - one on a 1970s car due to internal corrosion of the alloy wheels (I was staying at a friend's house and came out the next morning to find I had a flat - the garage fixed it by tubing it) and once on a truck in the middle of the Australian outback (changing a tire in 140 degree heat is really not fun!)
cheers
Jules
Back to the original (off-topic) subject:
I'd rather lose traction in the rear of the car, and have some hope of steering, rather than lose traction in front and have no control over steering.
It's all well and good to say that if you hydroplane in the front you'll probably continue straight, except the roads around here aren't straight. Straight into a guardrail isn't a preferred alternative.
Another reason to put the newer tires in front-- if you put the old tires in front they'll wear out faster meaning even less tread in front after a few months. Plus the aforementioned preference for a rear flat vs. a front flat.
Copyright 2010 by Shaun. All rights reserved.

I've had a tire shop (Costco) refuse to sell me two tires. They insisted that they had to do all four because they didn't have the exact size of the two good tires.
snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote the following:

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Probably a liability thing

I heard the same thing at walmart, the last time I was there. Refusing to put the new tires on front.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Herb Eneva wrote:

Best tires on the front to help with emergency braking.
In emergency braking, weight shifts to the front, providing increased frictional force.

Think about what you just said.
As the extra weight shifts to the front, the weight will increase the traction. Therefore, the increased traction compensates for the less tread. I can't shift weight to the rear, so the rear tires have more chance of skidding if they have less tread.
Besides, most drivers can control a skidding front end better than a skidding rear end. Therefore it makes more sense to do our best to keep the rear end from skidding.
Let's keep in mind that we're not talking bald tires vs. brand new. If anyone is driving on unsafe tires, then all bets are off.
Look, it's not just me making this argument. Please find me a modern, credible site that says the best tires go on the front. I know that that used to be the conventional thinking and even I was surprised to see a sign stating that in a tire shop a few months ago.
Times - and wisdom - change.

== Exactly so...we were taught that the best tread should be on the front for winter driving if we couldn't afford four new tires...now we are told otherwise and the tire salesman say get ALL four winter tires to be safe. Since when most cars were rear drive and we were taught how to drive, things have changed. My present vehicle has front wheel drive and it took a while to get used to this. == ==

Of course they wouldn't have any other motivation to sell four tires rather than two, right? Costco wouldn't sell two snow tires, some years back. All tires had to be matched. I let my membership lapse shortly after.

FWD is quite different.
On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 19:47:03 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

measure, including rear engine, as well as 4wd - including rallying FWD for a few years.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

I stand corrected. Michelin says the better tires go on the back.
Bottom of the page - with video: http://www.michelinman.com/tire-care/tire-saving-tips/replacement-questions/