Bacteria sick shower head!

Page 4 of 4

Well, it certainly has flourished on yours.
on 9/17/09 10:51 AM willshak said the following:

But maybe the nature's bacteria helps to keep the human immune system in shape???
terry wrote:

There are bacteria like Legionaire's disease and a few others that can live in the shower head.This has been known for years. But hey have to be put there first from an infected person. Bleach DOES kill them so clean your shower head once in a while. Especially if you get recurring bacterial infections including urinary tract infections.
on 9/16/09 3:51 PM Van Chocstraw said the following:

Bag of vinegar put over shower head and fastened for a few hours, then scrub head will clean a shower head well. But what about water pipes? I would imagine buggers are there too.
On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 07:18:51 -0700 (PDT), terry

Not all bacteria is unsafe. In fact, eating yogurt regularly will help keep the good bacteria in your body and can eliminate bad breath. Not sure who dosn't turn on the shower before entering the shower, a quart of water should flush out most of the creapy crawlers. Also keep your water heater temperature no lower than 120 degrees F, else you might get bad bacteria growth in your water tank.
Phisherman wrote:

Don't know about shower heads, but when I bought this place it had been empty 6-8 months, and the bathroom sink spit out nasty-smelling black water for a few minutes when first used. 2-3 minutes of full hot seemed to clear it up.
I ain't losing any sleep over it. And I'm sure not replacing shower heads quarterly, like one of the newspaper articles around here suggested. I might soak it in CLR or something if it teakettles up on me, in spite of the water softener. (My well water sucks, mineral-load wise)
-- aem sends...
Two things doctors learn on the first day:
All bleeding stops eventually.
Everybody dies from something.
Steve

I suggest to you and others that are on a public water system to follow the fire department or service department, or whomever flushes the fire hydrants to see what the water looks like that comes out. This is the same water you are drinking. The first few gallons are what has been laying in the barrel of the hydrant, after that, it is what is in the water line that you drink. See how long it takes to "clear up".
You'll be amazed of the junk you drink, and still live.
Hank <~~~doesn't want to get started on bacteria restaurants
On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 07:57:38 -0700 (PDT), "Hustlin' Hank"

Sediment is not bacteria.
On Sep 17, 8:31am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Stagnant water turns bad, very, very bad and water trapped in hydrants, fire sprinklers, etc. will come out totally black and stinking if it isn't flushed regularly. We flushed the sprinklers in the jail I used tow work in and that stuff would make a vulture barf. It ain't just "sediment".
Harry K
On Sep 17, 11:31�am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

I never said it was. I was just making a point that if they saw what was in their waterlines, they'd probably quit drinking it. However, I still drink tap water.
Hank <~~~loves the adrenaline rush from drinking tap water :-)

Put your showerhead in a ziplock bag, fill with cheap vinegar, tie off and soak overnight. Kills most bacteria and dissolves scale buildup. The vinegar is a little more friendly (and less expensive) than CLR, although it takes a few hours to work.
Phisherman wrote:

Besides, the vinegar will make your hair smell like a salad and hot vegetarian chicks will be all over you.
TDD

I am amazed of all the bacteria that isn't in my cold water lines that aren't 120 degrees. How does that work?
Are you people for real?
Hank <~~~drinks from springs, upstream from the farm.
On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 07:47:55 -0700 (PDT), "Hustlin' Hank"

Maybe you shouldn't have dropped out of school in the third grade, Hank.

Not to worry, my friend. Our government, in its infinite wisdom, is studying these things and protecting us without us even asking!
To me, if your shower head is skungy enough to get sick off of, quit putting your lips on it, or inspect and clean it. If it is dripping like a ghonnorheic dick, inspect it.
You will be comforted to know that our government is also studying such things as: why female rats on methamphetamine have a higher sex drive than sober female rats. I'm not kidding.
Our tax dollars at work. I don't know about you, but I feel safer.
Where can I apply about doing a study on the affects of road kill skunks on rural residents? All I want is $2.6 million, which should benefit mankind exponentially. I also promise to hire six people of minority status, join the SEIU, and accept counseling from ACORN's small business counseling section.
Steve
terry wrote:

I enjoyed your post and figured a few others might enjoy it also. after all it was in today's news....

We do a semi-annual removal of showheads and faucet screens to soak them a bit in CLR, just to get rid of mineral deposits. I think a second quick soak in some bleach/water mixture is a quick way to allay fears.
Stuff happens. Look at the edges of even a clean mountain stream (if you can find one). Things grow in water.

<snip>
Not to worry, NOTHING will allay the fears of the truly paranoid. I have sister. I gave her a bucket of spuds from my garden. The bucket was the usual recycled white bucket with 'Danger - Caustic" flag. That bucket had very obviously been throught the garden wars. "What was in this bucket!!??". "Soap". I know her and she most certainly dumped the spuds as soon as she was home.
Harry K