auto shut off light switch

greetings, i have a rather long and dark walkway out to the driveway. it is lit by the front door and i plan on adding a light at the other end by the driveway. i would like to replace the switch with a combo on/off switch with a timer so i can have the lights be on for a few minutes to get out to the car. does such a switch exist? thanks cj

Reply to
cj

You could use one of these, can be cranked up from a couple of minutes to a full hour.

Fits in a regular wall switch box.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Reply to
RBM

There are a number of different options, including some that will turn the light on when it sees someone and then turns it off after they leave.

Take a look at

for some ideas.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

You might look into remote control switches. You can get an X10 RF combo for about $40 and the actual light switch would be another $15 or so.

Reply to
John Gilmer

Yes. We got one for the bath vent fan so we can run it for a time with each shower and have it shut off. Some box stores carry them - our Lowe's had a spot for them on the shelf but non in stock. Found them while shopping for something else at a hardware that oddly specializes in boat stuff. A good electrical supplier should carry them. Found references while searching the net for different time limits, I believe

- 30 min, 60 min. Ours fits a standard switch plate and has a small dial face that fits into the square hole before the knob goes on. Ours is by Intermatic. You might find a motion sensor with right timing as well.

Reply to
Norminn

If you are into kit bashing, a longer lever to a clockwork egg timer (Dollar Store item) should be good enough to flip OFF an ordinary wall switch.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

found what i was looking for...thanks for the input gang

http://www.> greetings, i have a rather long and dark walkway out to the driveway. it

Reply to
cj