Attempting Android setup perfection - I ask your suggestions for improvement

Page 2 of 2
On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 13:45:14 -0400, nospam wrote:

While there are things that exist only in payware, name a function that you can do only with payware that I can't do with freeware.
I'm one of the most reasonable men alive - if you can name a functionality that you have with payware that I care about having with freeware - I'll already have the freeware to do it.
However, if I want to do it - and if I can't do it with freeware, then I'll agree with you - but you just always say "bullshit" without backing up any of your claims.
You never back up your claims.
On 08/13/2016 08:16 PM, Aardvarks wrote:

bullshit
On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 07:10:15 -0600, nospam wrote:

You never even back up your claims of bullshit.
You exhibit the three traits of iOS users:
a. You bought on style alone (facts confuse you). b. You expect mommy Apple to protect you (fear drives you). c. You want mommy Apple to provide one-button-mouse simple solutions.
A. It used to frustrate me that you made no technical sense.
But once I realized that you bought on mere style, then I understood why actual price:performance means absolutely nothing to you.
B. It used to frustrate me that you parrot Apple Marketing nonsense.
But once I realized that the fear of the unknown is what drives you, then it made sense that the Apple mommy makes you *feel* safe (and "feeling" is the only thing that matters when it comes to safety). Fact doesn't play a role, as you amply exemplify.
C. It used to frustrate me that you seemingly innocently say you can do what we do all the time, yet, you just can't, so you lie constantly.
But once I realized you're so used to doing things the one-button-mouse way, and that you stay completely within the Apple ecosphere, and for anything else, you "just give up" - I then realized that all your "bullshit" comments apply to the non-real world that you live in.
a. You use *only* apple products b. You only do what apple tells you to do. c. You only do it the way apple tells you to do it.
So, all your "bullshit" comments apply to that contrived apple-only world. They do not apply to Linux, Windows, and Android interfacing with that world.
Now that I understand that you're always in the fake Apple-only world, and that you "just give up" whenever you have to do something functional, I better understand why you say "bullshit" without ever backing it up.
That's because you can't.
On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 10:40:16 -0400, nospam wrote:

Of course I get that notion. That's exactly *why* I'm asking the two questions.

I'm glad at least you *understand* that fundamental concept!
That's exactly why I asked the people here two fundamental questions.
1. How do *you* organize your desktop (screenshots would be useful)?
2. What apps do you find are the best freeware apps that I haven't thought of yet?
The point is that I can't be the only one on this planet who has an organized desktop containing only the best apps for Android.
Can I?
On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 11:19:49 AM UTC-4, Aardvarks wrote:

Best apps? You hardly have anything there that's an actual app. I see Todo, whatever that is. Roadmap, which appears to be Google Maps renamed? And the stock Android Browser.
On my first page I have:
At the very top, a widget across the screen for google/accuweather that shows the weather for the next 3 days, followed by a widget for google news that shows current headline. Tapping either of those brings up the full app.
Then in the middle apps for:
Chrome Calculator Wifi Shortcut to the android wifi settings Email Google Maps Voicemail
At the bottom are icons for phone directory, phone, Android browser, text msgs.
Second page Clean Master Adobe Acrobat Tivo Battery File Manager World Clock Shoprite ( local supermarket) Camera Ookla Speedtest Play Store You tube Accuweather Google News
Third page Snapchat Gas Guru 1 tap hibernate Timer Calendar Dropbox
On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 08:51:58 -0700 (PDT), trader_4 wrote:

Those are the "functional categories" of the things everyone does on their phone. People will name them different things, and people will split them up differently, but that's the first question.
Q: What functional categories do you organize your phone by? By way of example, here are mine:
http://i.cubeupload.com/2FkLuw.png
For my list of best-of-the-best freeware apps for each of those functional categories, what you need is the second level, which was in the OP, but which I reproduce here.
a. *todo*
http://i.cubeupload.com/5dayFF.png
b. *communicate*
http://i.cubeupload.com/U1RwzI.png
c. *image*
http://i.cubeupload.com/p1iDmw.png
d. *audio*
http://i.cubeupload.com/JSsFcm.png
e. *video*
http://i.cubeupload.com/y9Xhws.png
f. *browser*
http://i.cubeupload.com/Y5FixO.png
g. *roadmap*
http://i.cubeupload.com/rytr0A.png
h. *outdoor map*
http://i.cubeupload.com/C5w9E5.png
i. *buy*
http://i.cubeupload.com/r8Omha.png
j. *files*
http://i.cubeupload.com/hsrbfN.png
k. *google*
http://i.cubeupload.com/pxtfs9.png
l. *network*
http://i.cubeupload.com/Zwpxlu.png
m. *system*
http://i.cubeupload.com/zUOXcg.png
Q: What best-of-the-best free apps in those functional categories did I miss?
For example, in the "todo" category, I haven't yet found a best-of-the-best freeware app that did what I need, which is: 1. I start the todo app 2. I speak 3. It does what I need
What I need is usually one of three things at that moment: A. I might want it to add a line to an existing file (e.g., a buy.txt file) B. I might want to add an appointment to my calendar (e.g., call mom at 5) C. I might want it to remind me to get milk only when I am near the store.
Do you know of a todo app that can do those three things well?
On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 08:51:58 -0700 (PDT), trader_4 wrote:

I agree we organize *slightly* differently in fundamentals: a. You use "pages" (by design). b. I never have more than a single page (by design).
But, that's just a philosophical difference.
I can justify my single-page system as being, on average, about 1/3 to 1/2 the number of taps it takes you to start an app - but that's about the only advantage of my design over yours.
So your idea of using multiple pages is fine - the additional pages simply add an additional one or two or three (or four or five, etc.) swipes to the process of finding an app.
However, there are advantages to pages, e.g., you can trade your pages for my folders, where the number of actions is the same if you *never* put folders on your pages.
Once you put a folder on your pages, my single-page setup is *always* more efficient than your multi-page setup (in terms of number of taps to start an app).
That's why I never have more than a single page on any mobile device.
In summary the best efficiency you can accomplish with each is: SINGLE PAGE - multiple folders: one or two taps, and you're done. MULTIPLE PAGES - 0 folders: one or two or three taps, and you're done. MULTIPLE PAGES - with folders: can *never* be as efficient as above!
I organize by single page for efficiency.
One additional efficiency difference between your multiple-page philosophy and my single-page philosophy is that you *need* a dock. I don't.
Nothing wrong with needing a dock. I just don't need one because *all* my apps are as available all the time to me as the dock apps are to you.
With a dock, you get instant view of your most common apps or folders, whereas I *always* have instant view of my most common apps or folders.
But the two systems are, essentially equivalent.
I could argue that, in practice only, mine is fewer taps than yours, but at best I can access my apps only two or three actions sooner than you can in your worse case.
For example, in my worst case, it's: [*] tap tap done
In your worst case (assuming, say, 3 screens & a folder), it's: [*] swipe swipe tap tap done
So, I argue my single-desktop system is: a. Harder to organize than your multi-page desktop system b. But never more taps and most of the time about half as many taps
But, I agree, a multi-swipe system can be almost as efficient, so the number of screens is not a big efficiency differentiator.
On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 3:00:24 PM UTC-4, Aardvarks wrote:

It's not more taps, it's less taps when the things I use 95% of the time are on the first page and it's one tap. I get to news, weather, chrome, email, texts, wifi, maps, voicemail and calculator. That's easily 95%+ of what I use the phone for. The next most frequently used apps are a swipe to the left plus one tap.
This is why these questions are pointless. What one person considers as organized and convenient, someone else will have a different idea.
On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 13:14:39 -0700 (PDT), trader_4 wrote:

I won't quibble about the difference between a swipe and a tap, as I was counting that as two taps, whereas you count it as a swipe and a tap.
Same thing. It's two motions.
But the main point is that you seem to be organized such that *you* can find your apps.
A LOT of people aren't that organized. Their screens are such a mess that they're even *afraid* to post them, they're that messy.

The question is as pointless ask asking which is your favorite DMM. Sure, everyone has a favorite DMM but you can still learn from the choices that people make.
On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 11:20:31 -0400, burfordTjustice wrote:

You avoided the question (and, in fact, you avoided the topic).
Organizing a phone is no different than organizing a toolbox. It's no different than organizing a closet. No different than organizing a kitchen utensils drawer.
A place for everything, and everything in its place.
Given that, I'll repeat the two simple questions here: 1. How do *you* organize your phone? 2. What apps do you find are *best* for what you do?
Specifically: 1. How do *you* organize your phone? (Please show a screenshot so that we can learn from you.)
2. What apps do you find are *best* for what you do? (Please suggest a best-of-the-best Android app for what you do.)
Thank you for your kind advice.
On Fri, 12 Aug 2016 09:00:16 -0700 (PDT), trader_4 wrote:

My philosophy isn't your philosophy - so you'll be different. However, I am an old guy.
Who started in the beginning. When things were simpler.
I've seen a LOT of people who can't find their stuff. This happens on Linux, Windows, Mac, and on mobile devices.
That's why they have to resort to crutches like searching for apps, just to find their apps.
To me, that's ridiculous.
For me, nothing used often is ever more than two taps away. a. If it's frequently used, it's on the one desktop. b. Otherwise, it's in the appropriate functional folder. c. If it's not frequently used, its' in the app drawer.
I never allow more than one desktop. (On iOS 8+, you're stuck with a minimum of two desktop screens, which is idiotic but almost everything on iOS is idiotic because iOS is aimed mostly at idiots IMHO).
Nothing (except Google becuase it's a special case) is stored by brand name. Note that on most computers, the installers *love* to install by brand name. It's what Marketing People do. I don't.
But, to each his own. To me, a perfect system is one where I can find any app instantly.
On Wednesday, August 10, 2016 at 9:34:14 PM UTC+5, Aardvarks wrote:

you can check out best VPN for android here http://www.bestvpn.guide/best-vpn-for-android/