Something to ask your attorney,,,,

Do you back up data?

"IRREPLACEABLE DOCUMENTS"?

"To the person or anyone that knows the person that burglarized an attorney's office downtown Friday October 16: If it is money you need, I would be more than happy to pay to get my equipment back, or a reward to know where it is. There are IRREPLACEABLE DOCUMENTS on the hard drives-you can respond or anonymize through here, or contact crimestoppers and leave information as to where the items can be found without leaving your name."

Reply to
Oren

How stupid do you have to be to TELL THE THIEVES that they have stolen IRREPLACEABLE documents? Why not just write them a blank check? I back up each of two computers to the other one (in different buildings set up for different tasks) each week, and once a month I burn/update a CD with all the current/new "irreplaceable" stuff which is stored in a third location. Not exactly rocket science.

Reply to
tmclone

On Mon 19 Oct 2009 09:52:24p, Oren told us...

Yes, I do. I back up my entire hard drive weekly, with daily incremental backups, on an external Buffalo terabyte hard drive installed in another location from where my PC is locaged. For my purposes, it's safe enough for me.

I frequently work from home, but I'm connected to my company's servers through a VPN connection. Most work-related data is stored on the network drives in our secured server room, and all servers are backed up each night.

From the very first PC I owned, I started with an internal tape backup drive and made weekly backups.

Better safe than sorry...

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Another trick: Google Mail allows god-knows how much storage per account (more than 7 Gigabytes). You can ZIP up your precious data and send the results to yourself as a gmail attachment.

It's offsite and available from anywhere.

If seven gigs isn't enough, get multiple gmail accounts.

Reply to
HeyBub

Mine's in two different countries, in case one of 'em gets nuked ;)

(OK, so that's not by intention, but it does give a certain amount of resilience :-)

Reply to
Jules

I don't know if my clients would like their personal and financial information stored on a Google-based website.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

How close are these countries to each other?

I don't believe that radiation respects territorial boundaries.

I know of one company that built a disaster recovery data center in "another country" only to learn later that both sites were on the same fault line and that a major earthquake had to potential to knock out both sites.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I have ten years of genealogy research sitting on an external hard drive. I've had visions of the hard drive showing up in an antique shop fifty years from now and someone saying, "Oh, I remember those things. Wonder if it works?" Or the CD tucked away in the old family photo album, long since replaced by several generations of more modern gadgets :o)

Reply to
norminn

Slightly over 4000 miles... tounge-in-cheek of course because it's not like I can be in both places at once anyway. I should really keep data in two countries where neither of them happen to be the one that I'm living in ;)

Someone should really fix that. Perhaps a big lead fence a few miles high. :-)

Oops!

Reply to
Jules

I understand their concern. One alternative is a safe and burglar alarms and other difficulties to thwart thieves. That's what the Pharaohs who built the pyramids thought. Now the pyramids were built during the 2nd and 3rd Egyptian dynasties (out of 30-odd). Subsequent Pharaohs saw, that while the pyramids were massive and difficult to crack, the thieves knew where the goodies were! These later Pharaohs learned the lesson and HID their tombs, some of which, 2,000 years later are STILL hidden.

I suggest an encryped, compressed file, called 'cat-pictures.zip, that's an attachment to email for snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com would be hard to find.

Reply to
HeyBub

It's possible. There are certainly drives from the 1970s still operational, so that's pushing 40 years. Whether the modern stuff will prove quite as robust is another matter...

Reply to
Jules

You think that's bad? Your Federal Government built no less than 3 'emergency backup' computer centers in metro New Orleans. Not just data caves, the whole damn server farm. I think the highest one was about 10 feet above sea level. What are ya gonna do? Give them a manual, and they eat the covers....

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Ninety-nine percent of attorneys give the rest of them a bad name.

Reply to
SteveB

I was on the phone one day (more than a decade ago) with a "suit and tie guy" from Washington, D. C.

ST: "All the servers will be brought to Central Office"

Me: "That is, right now about 100 servers or more and growing." Who will manage them?"

ST: "We will."

Me: "So! I need to call you to "re-boot" the server?"

Centralization never happed!

Reply to
Oren

Wayne Boatwright wrote in news:Xns9CA9EBAFEC8DEwayneboatwrightatari@69.16.185.247:

Geesh those were slow, noisey and unreliable. IIRC mine was an Iomega QIC-40/80.

Reply to
Red Green

"HeyBub" wrote in news:sradncVry_U-OkDXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Yea I've done that with Yahoo mail. But I just picked up a 16GB thumb drive on sale at Staples for 29 bucks. Works fine for me since I really have no video or music. Toss in the glovebox. Good enuf.

Reply to
Red Green

And NYC built its emergency command center in the World Trade Building.#7 (across the street from WTC-1 & WTC-2).

Oh well.

Reply to
HeyBub

On Wed 21 Oct 2009 08:34:46a, Red Green told us...

Yes, they were, and I think I had the same model. Still, they were somewhat better than nothing. I never had to restore the entire PC from a tape, but there a fair number of times I had to restore selected files. Most of those times were successful.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright