Tile Indentation & Cracking, Installer, and the Attorney General

A few months ago I posted to this group about my tile showing an indentation directly on top where the subfloor meets. I also explained how one of the tiles cracked, the installer replaced them, but then the indentation came back and now 5 of the tiles have cracked. Based on various responses from this group, I contacted the Attorney General since the installer was blaming it on a structual issue. The installer still claims this and refuses to do anything else. It appears to me that he did not ensure the subfloor was properly secured to the joists and that should be his problem.

I would like to know if anyone has some good suggestions to go back to the Attorney General and installer with.

My original message posted some time ago was:

I had a new home built in August 2000 and about a year later noticed that one of the tiles was cracked down the middle. This had me look at all the tiles and noticed that an indentation was going down the center of numerous tiles...happens to be right above where the floor boards meet.

The builder had the tile guy replace the cracked tile, which caused the next tile in line to crack. However, they waited until May 2002 and the replaced tile did not crack again...at that time they removed all the tile that showed an indentation and the associated wonder board. It was replaced with new wonder board (just the portion below each 12 X 12 tile (usually in a line of tiles), tile, and grout.

Well, sadly, it is now showing the indentation on every tile that was replaced.

The tile guy claims he has never seen this before and does not know what to do. I looked at another house he worked on and it too has the same issue.

I watched him do the job and it appeared to be a good one, but I am not a tile expert.

I need some ideas on what could be wrong and what I should do.

Any experts out there?

Ben

Reply to
Ben

Your beef is with the builder, not the tile guy. Something is giving under the tile or they wouldn't be cracking.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

One word.... congratulations.

From all of the screwed homeowners of the world.

contractor, a

judgment--guy

statements

instructed to

Several

Came before

daughter in

floor--case

indentation came

refuses to do

subfloor was

noticed that

caused the

replaced

(usually in a

Reply to
Art Begun

All tile is affected, which is more than just the master bathroom that does have a jacuzzi.

Reply to
Ben
1 You have been screwed 2 Call the bldg inspector, get opinion. 3 Get 4 estimates to fix problem 4 File a lawsuit in court , small claims if max limit will do it 5 subpeona all, or inspector 6 go to court 7 DA probably will say same 8 move the ball its your game 9 have a drink to many 10 go back to #3 talk to atty if amount is greater than small claim and you want pay to loose and spend years in court 11 an atty will blow my thinking here tonight because he is an atty 12 I have done it so have millions 13 Go for it you paid for it
Reply to
mark Ransley

Yes, the builder knew what areas were to be tiled.

He claimed he checked and all looked fine. However, being a little more experienced now, I have noticed that they nailed the floor to the joists with liquid nails. However, there were sections where the joist was missed.

My guess, the builder.

Dunno. Is that not code?

Yes, but it appears that only a hard surface like tile would be affected...not carpet or even possibly vinyl flooring.

Reply to
Ben

First thing

The geeral contractor hired the tile guy not you correct?

If so your beef is with the general and you could care less about the tile guy. He and you have no direct relationship!

Second since you say other people have a similar problem you should notify the builder you are going to file a

"Construction Defect" claim against him and are looking at having it turned into a class action

You don't mention whcih state you are in but most states take construction defect claims pretty seriously and the builder would wind up spending big bucks trying to defend himself if they didn't put down backerboard and stagger the joints!

Tell the builder you want all the tile torn up and the underlayment put down correctly if that is the problem!

Contact your local TV "Consumer reporter

If several homes have the same problem is should make a great story!

Wayne

Reply to
wayne