Assembly Charges- What A Ripoff!!

Page 1 of 2

Bought a Try-Bilt Snow Thrower from Lowe's. Most they had were on display with a "convenient" $25 assembly charge. I was using a 10% off coupon so I wanted to keep it cheaper so I took of of the only two they had boxed. Took it home and the "assembly " consisted of tightening handle knobs, attaching chute (three clamps), and attaching the chute aimer (removing cotter pin and then reattaching it). Took 10-15 minutes . I know I received all the parts (Some on display had the replacement shear pins taken, the key was missingon some). Unit came oiled I added gas and it started on second pull. I think it will be fine . It's the 5.5 hp w/electric start 24" with the bigger intake. Not bad for $550+tax. Icant wait for snow!!
There ARE people out there who can't deal with mechanical things, believe me...
professorpaul wrote:

And... they buy snowblowers?

Sure, why not? My MIL can handle a snowblower, but would have problems with some assembly.
And $25 is really not a big deal even for the small amount of work needed. Store have a lot of overhead so the price of opening the container, assembling, disposing of carton, etc, the cost is not out of line, IMO.

Yea, they do!
Guy looking at arc from thrower chute across yard. Wonders what the stream section of red snow is. Maybe because it's new paint in the chute. Hour later. Can't find Rover.
Al Bundy wrote:

That's awful- and you'd think_the dog_ would have more sense, noisy as those things are- perhaps it was sleeping in a snowbank? A guy a block from me lost finger in one last winter, in spite of all the warnings they plaster everywhere...

Easy Sev. Was just a big fictitious ha-ha. As far as the guy a block over, it's his own neglectful stupidity. He got away cheap and should look at it that way.
Carpenter wrote:

Worse, they may work at Lowe's and assemble snowblowers badly, unlike a full service lawn and yard equipment company, so I'd want to go over the work to verify it,. which would probably take as long as if I had done it myself in the first place.
Besides, would you trust your limbs and eyes to a machine that has rapidly moving parts and was assembled by a Home Depot reject?
professorpaul wrote:

and they get ripped off.
You are complaining the machine was too easy to assemble? Or are you complaining that a fee you didn't pay was too high? Or something else?
A good friend assemles stuff for sears. sure some grills etc are a snap while others take a lot of time and are a PIA...
the assemble fee tends to be a flat one for all models.
i will ask about snow blowers when i see him tomorrow.
theres also added liabilty costs if say a bolt falls out of the new blower and hits someone or some thing.....
Just wanted folks to know that most able bodied people can save that fee for something else It is ridiculous IMO too Toller wrote:

my good friend who assembles snowblowers gas grills mowers etc for sears says some blowers take 45 minutes to put togther after you have done a bunch, plus they get rid of all the packing and help load the blower in your vehicle...
it can be hard work and a bargain for 25 bucks
Load in your car? Not around here my friend. I draaged the box to the curb for recycling and they took it. To me its just not worth it. Plus an assembled unit (grill, blower etc is a lot harder to manage than a boxed one. Assembly charges are like extended warrantees- pure profit for the seller!!
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Hmmm, I think that is why they are in business, to make a profit.
You're a genius Edwin!! Of course lowes etc wants to make a profit. Should they make an excessive profit off me? No. Snowblower in question probably cost Lowes $350 or so with a retail of $599. With xtended warranty ($79) and assembly ($25) the cost would be $703. By using 10% coupon and assembly it myself I paid $539. So lowes made $180 off me instead of $280.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Excessive? Maybe, maybe not. Some people would rather pay the money that have to assemble anything. It is their choice to make, not yours or mine. If people are willing to pay $25, it is a fair price. Capitalism at its best.

YOU wait for snow, we're headed for Arizona !

Lots of folks say that. We lived in Tucson for a while. South of us toward Mexico the elevation gets high enough to put snow on the ground. If you head north as my daughter did to go to school at the U of Northern Arizona you will find a whole different world. The school is in Flagstaff at over 6000 feet. So much for Denver and its "mile high city". As I recall, Flagstaff averages over 10 feet of snow a year.
Charlie
snipped-for-privacy@backpacker.com wrote:

Yea, but it's hard to tell how much assembly is required, I recently bought a lawn mower at HD, as you removed it from the carton is "self assembles" itself, it basically unfolded itself like the mars land rover, but I remember buying a bookcase that took 40 minutes and was a PITA.
Which brings up the question, when assembly rates in China are 50 cents an hour, why the heck are we assembling anything? It seems we are doing more self assembly now then in the past when labor rates where much higher and automation was much lower, I haven't figured out that one....