How to finish exterior wall under new window (current brick unavailable)

We have replaced a sliding glass patio door with a window approximately 5' X 3'. This has left the bottom half of where the door used to be, in need of exterior finishing. We have just found out the brick we need (to match the existing surrounding wall) is unavailable. Apparently it hasn't been made for 10 years. The next closest colour match I could find is a brick that is slightly longer, thicker and higher than our existing exterior. What do I do now? Any design ideas to fill the 5' X 4' space that is left? The area needing repair is the wall onto which our wood deck is attached. Building any "substancial" structure here is hindered by the existance of the deck, which is about a foot off the ground....and which also...isn't going anywhere! Would appreciate any suggestions. I have posted a photo of the area at

for your ideas in advance. lmwr

Reply to
lmwr

Tyvek?

Seriously, I would continue hunting for some matching bricks. I don't think it should prove too hard to find a reasonable match -- perhaps even bricks from a demolition site.

Otherwise, you might try and made a design using a couple of contrasting brick or stone styles. Or use some natural wood siding? What other external construction materials are used on this property? Maybe even match the roof.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

So how do you get out onto the deck now? Only idea that comes to mind is a planter box, deck storage cabinet, or something similar, or maybe a bench or serving counter. Make it out of the same material as deck, and put smooth siding behind it in the same color as the gutters or something.

Good example of why you always line up all the materials before starting a job. If I wasn't able to find the brick, I would have replaced the sliders with french doors or something.

aem sends...

Reply to
<aemeijers

They may not make that exact brick, but it doesn&#39;t appear to be anything uncommon. So what if you don&#39;t get an exact match? You have about 20 leftovers and you can intermix with new bricks. I bet you can get pretty close, and nobody will even know.

good luck

lmwr wrote:

Reply to
tim1198

If you can&#39;t make it match, make it contrast, like you meant to do that. I&#39;d say go with polished copper sheet, but if you&#39;re timid, use vertical wooden battens, or white stucco. Maybe with a tiny doll staircase leading up to a fake little doll door, windows, and balcony.

Reply to
Goedjn