Ariens Snowblower "Height" Adjustment For Bottom (scrapper) Edge ?

Hello:
Regarding the height (set via the 2 shoes on the sides) that one should set the bottom edge (also call a scraper blade, I think) on the typical Ariens snowblowers:
The manual says 1/8 inch for an asphalt driveway.
This seems very high to me.
Shouldn't this bottom edge actually touch the driveway (lightly) to remove all the snow down to the asphalt ?
What do you all set it to ?
Thanks, Bob
Mine's about 1/4" to 3/8" by eyeball, which is the only way I've ever adjusted it. It still exposes asphalt for the most part of snow and glides easily over any imperfections or adhered ice or rocks tossed in by the plows; never had a problem of any kind with it. As fast as the feet wear, I'd think you'd wear down the cut-bar at 1/8" or less and probably hang up on anything that solidly adheres to the asphalt, like ice bits. Plus it'd wear off the topcoat all that much faster, being steel. ymmv I suppose. I have a large driveway.
HTH Pop
: Hello: : : Regarding the height (set via the 2 shoes on the sides) that one should set : the bottom edge (also call a scraper blade, I think) on the : typical Ariens snowblowers: : : The manual says 1/8 inch for an asphalt driveway. : : This seems very high to me. : : Shouldn't this bottom edge actually touch the driveway (lightly) to remove : all the snow down to the asphalt ? : : What do you all set it to ? : : Thanks, : Bob : :

set
Setting the scraper right down to the asphalt will get expensive for scraper bar replacement and asphalt damage. If you really want EVERYTHING removed, buy a single stage blower with the rubber blades. (noma,/toro type)
Of course the single stage machines are little use in 4-5 foot drifts, or get painfully slow.
You can always leave a bit with the blower, and then go over it quickly with a hand shovel or broom to clean everything out. But it will probably be back again the next day when it snows again, or a bit of wind blows the snow back.
AMUN