Are swivel kitchen spouts prone to leakage if you move them frequently?

I have single handle Price Pfeister kitchen faucet with a swivel spout. Will moving the spout too frequently (several times a day) cause the o-ring at the base to fail more frequently than if the spout is seldom moved? How long will the o-ring last if moved several times a day on a regular bases vs. hardly ever moving the spout?

Thanks.

J.

Reply to
jeff

You obviously don't have enough to worry about!!

Reply to
Curmudgeon

an o ring: 25 cents the feeling that your faucet will keep working drip free: priceless.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Sure they wear out, but they don't need replacement often and replacement is simple and cheap? Probably will start leaking as soon with little use as with lot of use.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon
040703 0135 - xrongor posted:

Also, while it is apart, put some plumbers lube on the moving parts before assembling. This will give a smooth operations, and save wear on the parts and O rings.

Reply to
indago

Or, as in the case of my wife, improper operation can make them leak. She was complaining regularly that the kitchen sink one leaked. After putting a kit in three times I found out that. a. It didn't leak at all in normal operation but.. b. If the handle was held in the open position with a bit of force it would then leak. A bit or correctional training, i.e., just open the damn thing and let go, cured it. Haven't replaced an o ring in many a year now.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I hope I didn't fall for a troll again!

Yes, of course the O-ring(s) will wear faster the more you move the spout.

If you really want to "gild a turd", you *can* buy teflon coated aerospace grade O-rings which will last a lot longer than Plain Jane ones. But they cost like stink, and it'll take you more time to find and buy them(and in a minimum quantity too, plus shipping.)them than you'll ever spend changing the standard 25 cent ones every few years.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

If you use a valve lube like Dow 111 they will last a very long time

Reply to
Greg

Ah, Yes. They complain that men can't boil water, but they can't operate a simple water spigot or flush a WC without screwing it up.

I can always tell when my grands>

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I have rebuilt several classic Delta kitchen faucets with the movable spout. I think some leakage is normal with these things.

Reply to
New & Improved - N/F John

"New & Improved - N/F John" wrote in news:40e9fdbb$0$3066$ snipped-for-privacy@news.rcn.com:

I don't know if this has been said, but _not_ moving the spout can also cause problems down the road. The o-ring or other gasket can stick in one place and tear or crack. After experience with several different brands that use -rings at this joint, I found that lubricating the o-ring thoroughly with vasoline helped tremendously.

Reply to
Wayne

vasoline on rubber seals causes them to break down more frequently. use silicone grease instead.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer