Are old microwave ovens built better than the new ones?

Page 3 of 4

I've been using paper towels for YRS and have never had one catch on fire. Were you heating up Mexican food? :)
Ron wrote:

Don't remember for sure, but probably some sort of canned pasta glop, or chunky soup. It was a corner that lit off, not a grease smudge. Almost like a kitchen match would do.
No, I'm not curious enough to try to recreate it. That damn smoke alarm is LOUD. What would Mexican food have to do with it?
-- aem sends...

Was just joking....Mexican food - hot sauce.

aemeijers wrote:

That could be you used a paper towel made out of earth-friendly, eco-pure, save-the-whales, GoreGod, recycled materials.
Sometimes there are warnings on these products to NOT use them in a microwave because they contain metal particles. For example, cardboard thrown into the recycle vat often has staples remaining in them. Foil labels and other sources of metal abound.
These metals are ground into undetectable bits and mixed with the good stuff. When the result gets to the microwave, well, there you are.

once i put a bag of m&Ms that were frozen in our last microwave.
the wrapper had metal min it, brite sparks oven fried.
wouldnt do that again
m&M compaNY SAID THERES METAL IN THE WRAPPER:(
HeyBub wrote:

Nope, although I like trees, I refuse to pay double prices for 'tree hugger' labeled products. Plain old bounty, no printed patterns, no nothing. -- aem sends...

Bullshit. And what the fuck problem do you have with the concept of somebody using the variable power setting? Why does using a microwave oven at anything but full power give you such a hernia?

WTF is your problem???? I don't give a shit WHAT power setting someone uses. I just merely made a suggestion. I've been using a paper towel for YEARS and have NEVER had to clean the inside of MY microwave, asshole.
My parents bought a microwave before we moved in 1975, I think it was. I remember them wondering if it would fit under the cabinets, in the new house. It did, and it's still there. Dad had to reoil the blower fan a couple times over the last decades.
Mine, my parents bought for me in maybe 1991. I've still got it, and it works fine.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

But he says his has lasted a long time and the power output does decline with use.
Because the magnetron is a vacuum tube with a hot filament cathode the emissive layers of the cathode degrade slowly with time. The result is weakened emission and diminished power of the tube,
One reference of many -- http://aginfo.psu.edu/news/1999/8/microwave.html
"the electrical element that converts electrical energy into microwave energy, will not maintain the same power levels over time. 'If a new microwave oven boils a cup of water in one minute, after five or 10 years it may take 90 seconds'

Buy a new one from Wal-Mart.

No its not worth fixing, you can get a new unit cheaper they are not built as well but what is.
On Thu 25 Sep 2008 05:01:05a, ransley told us...

Agreed, it's not worth fixing. We bought a medium size Panasonic for around $129 that has more power and more useful and practical bells and whistles than any previous unit we've owned. We've had this one since 2000. It's in frequent daily use and shows no signs of giving up the ghost.
--
Wayne Boatwright

Microwaves are now a commodity, a 1.2 cu ft unit can be purchased from Wal Mart for $59.95. Unless its a built-in the economics of repairing them makes them impossible (economically) to repair. My last $80 microwave lasted 10 years through several kids who lived off of hot- pockets and mini-pizzas.

I feel the same way. My old Panasonic microwave lasted many years. But the last Panasonic microwave only last slightly more than 2 years. I am wondering whether there is something to do with the weight of the microwave. My old one weight a lot. The pre-maturally dead one weight very little even though they were the same size. There are models in the market: some are very light weight, some are heavy. May be we should start buying microwave by their weight?
Jay Chan

I would say that in general the new microwave ovens are built better than the old ones. Technology marches on and they have become better.
Don't bother trying to fix and old one. It is not really worth it.
On 9/24/2008 7:17 PM Too_Many_Tools spake thus:

All I can offer is one data point. My nuker is a Magic Chef (kind of a high-end unit, I think) that I bought used from a friend in 1985. It's still working perfectly for me.
By the way, this oven is so much simpler to operate than *any* of the new cheap pieces of shit I've seen around. On mine, you just key in the time on the keypad and hit "Start". On the one where I work sometimes, I still can't figure out how to make it cook for a desired number of seconds.
On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 19:17:34 -0700, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Best do some research. With the make and model information available check sites like RepairClinic.com for availability and pricing. From there you'll have a better idea. That site also gives guidance on the ease of various repairs.

Unless you are an electronics whiz, and have an identical unit with a known good board to scavenge for parts, no. It's unlikely that you will be able to obtain parts, and even if you can, you may find that the parts are far more costly than replacing the unit, even with a higher grade model.

First off, there are more places than Walmart that sell microwaves. Try an appliance store.
Second off, yes they are value engineered. Think about how much your old microwave cost and how long ago that was. Look at what a new microwave costs, and how much less a dollar buys you now than then. Something had to give, and that something was the quality and reliability of the product.
On Sep 26, 2:08am, snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

Boy do I agree with Pat (posting #51). terry