Are old microwave ovens built better than the new ones?

I would say that in general the new microwave ovens are built better than the old ones. Technology marches on and they have become better.

Don't bother trying to fix and old one. It is not really worth it.

Reply to
jmeehan

On 9/24/2008 7:17 PM Too_Many_Tools spake thus:

All I can offer is one data point. My nuker is a Magic Chef (kind of a high-end unit, I think) that I bought used from a friend in 1985. It's still working perfectly for me.

By the way, this oven is so much simpler to operate than *any* of the new cheap pieces of shit I've seen around. On mine, you just key in the time on the keypad and hit "Start". On the one where I work sometimes, I still can't figure out how to make it cook for a desired number of seconds.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Suit yourself. A high power vacuum tube then.

OK -- The high power vacuum tube at the heart of a microwave gradually uses itself up and unit puts out less and less power as it grows older. Also, modern microwaves output more power to begin with than older units did when they were new.

Happy now?

modern microwaves output more power to begin with than older units did when they were new. Happy?

Reply to
jim evans

No. You're blowing the degradation out of proportion. They might drop

5% by the time the power supply craps out. BFD.
Reply to
AZ Nomad

But he says his has lasted a long time and the power output does decline with use.

Because the magnetron is a vacuum tube with a hot filament cathode the emissive layers of the cathode degrade slowly with time. The result is weakened emission and diminished power of the tube,

One reference of many --

"the electrical element that converts electrical energy into microwave energy, will not maintain the same power levels over time. 'If a new microwave oven boils a cup of water in one minute, after five or 10 years it may take 90 seconds'

Reply to
jim evans

I think you missed my point. Twenty years ago the typical microwave was 600-800 watts. Today they're typically 1000-1200+

Reply to
jim evans

Best do some research. With the make and model information available check sites like RepairClinic.com for availability and pricing. From there you'll have a better idea. That site also gives guidance on the ease of various repairs.

Reply to
Jim

jim evans wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

the cathode emission drops with age;that is the reason for a drop in power output.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

jim evans wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

and with much smaller oven cavities.(and lower price!)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

My 1982? Samsung sitting on the kitchen counter still works fine. It'll likely outlive me.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

On Thu 25 Sep 2008 08:56:41a, Harry L told us...

LOL! You don't need a microwave for that. :-)

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright
[snip]

I'd also recommend Sam Goldwasser's guide on them, especially at the lower cost:

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Cool, I got a lot of good links out of that site, thanks. I'm always looking for new sources of information.

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Reply to
Uncle Monster

Unless you are an electronics whiz, and have an identical unit with a known good board to scavenge for parts, no. It's unlikely that you will be able to obtain parts, and even if you can, you may find that the parts are far more costly than replacing the unit, even with a higher grade model.

First off, there are more places than Walmart that sell microwaves. Try an appliance store.

Second off, yes they are value engineered. Think about how much your old microwave cost and how long ago that was. Look at what a new microwave costs, and how much less a dollar buys you now than then. Something had to give, and that something was the quality and reliability of the product.

Reply to
mkirsch1

aemeijers wrote in news:vMVCk.239609$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

I repaired my 1980 Sharp 650W uwave about 8 yrs ago,cost of $25 in parts. VERY cost-efficient.

and it has a larger(taller) oven cavity than current ovens.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

They dropped off a lightning struck Amana in our shop. The clock was fried. We drilled a hole right through the center of the key pad and installed a spring wound timer. It worked like that for years.

We were able to keep all the door interlocks functioning. That was our only concern..

Reply to
gfretwell

On Thu 25 Sep 2008 09:12:36p, Jim Yanik told us...

I assume you're happy with it, but a 650 watt oven is sadly under-powered by today's standards. I'm sure that there must be some current models with a taller cabinet than others.

We have two m/w's, one 1000 watt over-the-range model which I consider perfectly adequate, and a second 1350 watt countertop model which I really prefer. The over-the-range unit has a tall enough cavity to accomodate any container I use, and is tall enough to handle two levels of cooking if the rack is inserted.

It's nice to save money, but I prefer advances in technology.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

My parents bought a microwave before we moved in 1975, I think it was. I remember them wondering if it would fit under the cabinets, in the new house. It did, and it's still there. Dad had to reoil the blower fan a couple times over the last decades.

Mine, my parents bought for me in maybe 1991. I've still got it, and it works fine.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Unless you like to heat and eat rocks, more power isn't desirable.

I rarely use full power. I'd rather eat my food than scrape it off the walls of the microwave oven. I cook my morning breakfast cerial at power 4 and use 5 or 6 for everything else.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

There is only one actual power level. The manetron is either FULL ON, or it's not on at all. The "power level control" simply changes the duty cycle of FULL-ON/FULL-OFF.

Reply to
salty