Are ALL front loader washers junk?!!

Here is my story:

In the year 2000, I bought the Kenmore 417 front loader washer and dryer. Front loaders were just coming out then and I should have known better I guess.

The dryer was fine... as it is conventional.... but I had nothing but trouble with the Frigidaire built Kenmore FL washer!! Vibrated terribly no mater what I did.

after 7 years it just plain wore out. I took it apart to find that the main seal and bearing had failed, slinging grease everywhere inside the unit. It eventually seized up and just stopped. the seal and bearing could NOT be replaced by itself. you had to buy a whole new inner tub assy at abt $350 or so! Pure junk not made to be repaired. I hauled it of to the steel scrap yard last summer and have been doing laundry in laundromat since which is a BIG pain

Anyway.... I've been pretty sour on front loaders since then and swore Id never buy another one.... would go back to top loaders as I live alone and only do laundry once/twice a week.

However...... water rates, electricity, sewer rates have all gone up locally and I thought maybe I should "consider" front loaders again. BUT..... I went to you tube and did a search on "front load washers" only to find a TON of videos of all diff brands/models FL washers that people are having serious problems with.... vibrating, breakdowns, etc. I'm having second thoughts again abt a FL washer of ANY brand!!

Bottom line.... are all front loaders junk? Wont last more than 7 years or so? I can't see paying anywhere from $600-$1200 for a FL washer if its NOT gonna last minimum 15 years or at least can not be repaired!!

What is your advice and what would YOU do given my circumstances?

Reply to
me

Um, front loaders were around and common a whole lot earlier than

2000... or 1990... or 1980... or 1970...

What was coming out around 2K is the tilt drum front load washers.

If you had serviced it earlier when vibration problems were evident, it probably wouldn't have failed.

Eeeew!

I have a Maytag Neptune Superstack tilt drum washer / dryer that I got in 2003. I've not had any issues with it running it a couple times a week on average. I also love the stack configuration which is much more space efficient.

As for serviceability, pretty much all units can be repaired. If you don't like the fact that they sell parts in assemblies vs. individual bits and pieces to contain the spare parts inventory, that's your issue with cost, not an issue of serviceability. Also for some of those assemblies, they are sold as an assembly due to the fact that when one component in it fails, it damages other parts in the assembly and replacing just the obvious failed part without replacing the more subtly damaged parts will just lead to another failure in short order.

Reply to
Pete C.

the high initial purchase price, plus the high cost of parts and service means what you save on water and sewer will never save you any money.

a buddy of mine has a appliance repair business and reports the same thing.

top loaders are less efficent but actually cost less to operate over a lifetime.

Reply to
hallerb

obviously you have needed to service the stack unit. stacks are terrible when it comes to repairing

Reply to
hallerb

Front loaders have been around for a long time in the commercial environment including Laundromats.

The early front loaders certainly had their problems. Some, but not all the later problems are much better. I suggest checking out Consumer's reports (they are far from perfect, but they are the best easily available information) for information on what is reliable.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

My daughter has an LG and loves it. Has had it for about a year. Exceedingly quiet ... it is on carpeted floor, main level of home, and you can't hear it outside of the room it is in. It will hold a ton of bluejeans at one time. Has steaming feature, which I doubt that I would use. For any washer, having it level goes a way in preventing problems.

Reply to
Norminn

Thats because the US appliance companies copied quality comes last ford/gm etc on their entry into the market and sold total junk with maytag being the most notable. Newer units are better and foreign makes such as lg are even better.

Reply to
George

oh bullshit

There was no reason whatsoever they couldn't have designed the unit where the seal and bearing could be replaced alone!

Reply to
me

I'm beginning to "see" that above cause my unit didn't last long enough to recoup that premium initial cost!

Reply to
me

Will do

But should I look to commercial units only?

And......the real question is..... is a top loader "good" enough for me vs the premium of a front loader?

Reply to
me

That reminds me of a story. I once helped someone troubleshoot a severe vibration problem with their new front-loading washer. The vibration was so bad that the machine literally walked! After examining the machine and reading the installation instructions, I realized that the drum of the washing machine was supported by a suspension system, which was supposed to isolate the washing machine housing from vibrations of the moving parts inside. The suspension system was immobilized at the factory with braces, which needed to be removed during installation, presumably to protect the machine during shipping. It turned out that the installer had neglected to remove those braces. The machine worked normally after the braces were removed.

If you still have the machine, you may want to have it checked to see if you have the same problem.

(I'm not recommending, one way or the other, that you check the machine yourself, especially if it involves opening up the machine and reaching into the electrical/mechanical parts inside. If you decide to do it, make sure that you unplug the power before you do anything. Exercise caution and common sense. And beware of the potential for injuries. Don't do it if you're not mechanically inclined or if you don't feel up to the job.)

Reply to
mtco

=EF=BF=BDSome, but not all

compare top load vs front load washer price. how much more does front load cost?

how many loads a week do you do. water savings on those loads, plus add a little for dryer savings, since front loads spin out better... usually

now cost of water and sewage, around here its near 6 bucks a thousand. regular top load use 40 gallons front load say half that.

so a front loader saves at 2 loads a week 20 gallons of water and sewer saved per load 40 gallons a week, times 52 weeks a year =3D 2080 gallons of water. at 6 bucks per thousand thats just over 12 bucks a year in water and sewer savings, so say $15 and lets be generous and double that for drying energy saved so the total is 30 bucks a year, and lets assume hot water saved is equal to another 15 bucks now before anyone complains front loads are easier on clothes, so lets add the 15 buck savings for less clothes wear. at most if you are really lucky you might save 90 bucks a year........

but the front load costs at least twice as much so it might take you 5 years before any savings begin, and if you had invested the money somewhere else that diminishes the return on the front load

geez your savings is near zip in the lifetime of the unit, one breakdown and your out money.

I believe my savings estimates are on the generous side........... but your mileage may vary.

front loaders were designed by the marketing department for the expressed purpose of greater profits............

Reply to
hallerb

People that report their front loaders as being non problematic should wait a few more years and see what they think. About a year or two ago I replaced my GE heavy duty top loader with another more modern version of the same GE heavy duty top loader. The original GE was still working but the transmission became noisy because it leaked all the oil out. It ran this way for about five years before I decided to replace it.

That original GE was bought in 1979. I figure my third GE heavy duty top loader will need to be purchased around 2031, maybe 2040 if I keep oil in the transmission.

Reply to
tnom

If you don't like the assembly price, you are certainly free to replace at component parts level, you'll just have to measure the bearings and whatnot and lookup the standard part numbers and get the parts from regular suppliers, not the appliance manufacturer. I've done this myself, and in some cases I've fabricated replacement parts that were not available separately and fixed the design flaws that caused them to fail while I was at it.

Reply to
Pete C.

Do yourself a BIG favor and research Fisher & Paykel washing machines. You'll get over the misguided idea that front loaders are somehow superior.

Reply to
salty

Dont bother with F & P if you arent happy about having to by replacement parts as "assembles". I had one, the seal on the pump went, happens no big deal, easy 2 minute job to get the old pump out. To replace the seal you only need to unscrew the impeller and slip the seal off. But you cant buy the seal just a new pump ($60au about 10 years ago) Later on one of the PCB boards went, F & P had no idea which one so was going to replace the lot for $450+. Now have an Asko front loader so far its been great. As far as water goes the F & P used about 200l a load, the Asko about 30l. (the F & P used about 10l a load just to "change gear")

Reply to
stu

Oh, you mean they sell parts the same way as virtually every other washer manufacturer in the world? The HORROR!

So, you had a bum technician who didn't know how to diagnose the problem. That isn't the fault of the machine.

Just wait until it needs a pump seal!

Reply to
salty

If you thought consumer front loaders were expensive, be prepared for a severe shock when you see what commercial front loaders go for.

You should know that top loaders now have the same energy and water use restrictions that front loaders do, so by definition, you will be hard pressed to find one that cleans as well as a front loader...

Reply to
Rick Blaine

I DON'T believe FL washers are superior!

So what are you talking abt? That Fisher Paykel are superior? Confused

Reply to
me

Oops i was talking to the OP, I didnt mean to imply that other makers were better or worse, just that if he wasnt happy buying assembles he better look else where.

He was a F & P tech from F & P in a F & P van, so while it might not be the machines fault, it is F & P's. The self diagnosis lite up with an invalid error code so he said the board needed replacing, but the boards only as a set.

Reply to
stu