Architect Fees?

Just wondering what the ball park might be from concept to final drawings to submit to the town and contractor. We're looking to add a 12x20 dining room on one side, a 20x20 great room out the back and a complete kitchen renovation. I know there are a lot of variables to each job, but we're not looking to throw in a lot of gee whiz bells and whistles, just straight up structure and functionality. I'm in the NJ area, would under 2k to 5k be reasonable?
Don't worry about fees, worry about getting a good architect. My neighbor had to fire his first one and asked around and found a good one. Some of them have stupid ideas that look good on paper, but cost a lot more to build. Make sure the architect and the builder are on the same page. You don't want to have disputes between them that hold up the job. Ideally they should have worked together before.

Both the builder and the designer did a job together around the corner just recently and it looks great. The builder came highly recommended from my neighbor and he referred me to the designer. In fact, the builder's price was actually reasonable considering my neighbor's situation. Another builder we both talked to wanted only really "high margin" work and only drew his own plans. I think I'm on the right track with these guys.
Thanks!

Hi, You have to make detailed itemized lists of materials before commencing work. Everything on paper the more detailed the better. I have 5 houses and one cottage built(same spec as houses in the city). I learned a lot during the course. I have a contractor whom I can deal with shake of our hands but that is very exceptional case. Good luck, Tony

Where I live architects get any where from 10-30% of the building cost.
Most general contractors I know would design it if they built it for 3-8% maybe less.
In my area, you're now required to have a licensed architect's seal on the plans.

Bob wrote:

Hi, Also it may require structural engineer's opinion depending on what the plan is. Your contractor should have both he deals with. Tony

I guess I'm satisfied that if I'm planning a 125k renovation/addition I'm only paying about 4k-5k in architect fees.
Thanks!