Aprilaire 600 humidity output

Page 1 of 6
I'm extremely new here so please let me know if I'm posting things at the w rong place. I recently (3 months ago) installed a new Trane 2 stage ECM fu rnace and along with it an Aprilaire 600 whole house Humidifier. It's upst ate New York here, I've been setting the the thermostat to 73 degree, so fu rnace officially started working since late September.
The furnace and humidifier were installed by a local contractor. I set the manual humidistat to 45% since the very beginning. And I have an other small humidistat clipped right on one of the second floor registers w here the hot air comes out. The humidity reading had been between 45% and 50% until about 2 weeks ago.
Two weeks ago the weather here really started to drop(ranging between 29 de gree and 50 degree). And shortly after I started to feel air being dry at night. The humidity reading in the bedroom was somewhere around 33%. And when I put the humidistat right by the register(when the furnace is on and outputting hot air), it read 16%, that's what I was concerned about.
Here's the current information about the humidifier:
I hear the water flowing when the furnace is on, when I open it I see water in the distribution chamber and flowing through the four holes. I also see water flowing down the drain and feel hot air supply coming from the open damper.
I called the contractor company a few days ago, a service guy came in and s aid everything was fine, then he said my 4 inch air filter was plugged, the refore humidity couldn't go through. He charged me for a new air filter an d a partial service call, because no faulty equipment was found, even thoug h they told me the filter would last a year when they sold it to me. I was fine with everything if the problem was resolved, but the thing is, for th e two days after the filter was replaced, the humidity reading by the regis ter was still 16%. I actually personally went into a hardware store and bo ught a brand new water panel for the humidifier, still no improvement on hu midity.
Me and my wife just had a baby 3 weeks ago and my wife had had this coughin g problem for a long time, she feels much better when the air is not dry, s o I was trying to give them the most comfort I can by getting the new furna ce and humidifier. I'm not sure what kind of humidity level others feel go od about, but we really hope we can get to around 45% here. Hope someone c an help and sorry about the long post.
On 11/21/2014 6:53 PM, Hongyi Kang wrote:

posting things at the wrong place. I recently (3 months ago) installed a new Trane 2 stage ECM furnace and along with it an Aprilaire 600 whole house Humidifier. It's upstate New York here, I've been setting the the thermostat to 73 degree, so furnace officially started working since late September.

contractor.

[...]

Some Aprilaire have what's known as a bypass damper, or valve. On some, there is a round disk that opens or closes the round tube that comes from the other duct. This needs to be open (handle points horizontal) for the unit to work.
If you have AC, this needs to be closed (handle up and down) for summer.
Please let us know how this works for you.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/21/2014 7:21 PM, Hongyi Kang wrote:

the whole time. I could feel hot air coming from it when I open the humidifier.

That was the only answer I could find. Please call your service tech back to your house.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/21/2014 8:13 PM, Hongyi Kang wrote:

Quite all right. I worked in heating for years, and installed a lot of Aprilaire humidifiers.
I also live in western NY. My humidifier is portable, I have to fill it with a bucket.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Hongyi Kang wrote:

Hi, I have exactly same humidifier in my house(2600 sq ft 2 story with finished basement) This humidifier is bypass type, so is the flap controlling the air passing thru the water panel open? Or partially open or closed? Also check if you can open the water cock more for more water flow. Hot air has to pass thru the panel to moisten the room air. Also humidity has to be set in relation to outside temperature. During winter I leave it at 30 to 35% and no higher to prevent condensation on window panes. Panel can be reused after cleaning with CLR. Are you Chinese or Korean? 저는 한국인입니다. Hope this helps.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi, Forgot one thing. Make sure you have power att humidistat(24V AC).
On 11/21/2014 8:43 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

power att humidistat(24V AC).
He said that there was water flowing.
On 11/21/2014 8:40 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

He said the bypass damper is open.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/21/2014 8:40 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Ideally, with the flow of water through, the panel "never needs cleaning". But nothing is perfect.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Friday, November 21, 2014 8:52:22 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The panels in those last a year to maybe 3 years, depending on how hard the water is. For the OP:
He said the water is running, so the unit is energized, but is that all the time or does it shut off part of the time? I prseume he tried putting the control to max to make sure it stays on more, but that had no effect? If it's running all the time, then it's not a control problem. That unit has an outside temp sensor so it will lower the humidity as the outside temp drops, which is what you want. But if it's running all the time, then that isn't an issue.
How is it installed? Usually the unit is on the return side, with a bypass duct going over to the hot side plenum. He says there is airflowing, but how much? A lot? Usually they have a damper that you close for the summer. Any chance it's mismarked, not fully open?
How large is the house? I've never been a fan of the bypass type humidifier. I have the Aprilaire 700 which has it's own fan and doesn't short circuit the blower air. I would think one possibility is that the humidifier just doesn't have enough capacity. The fact that the furnace is two stage, variable blower, might be a factor too. I would think he might be getting less airflow, air not quite as hot passing through it, etc.
If it's a capacity issue, changing the water feed to use hot water, which probably isn't hard to do, instead of cold water will increase the output.
Finally, those little humidity meters are typically very inaccurate. I've had 4 of them side by side, and they can read from 30 to 60. If he googles he can find a calibrating procedure, where you use a closed box with some moist salt in the bottom as reference. You can't adjust the thing, but you can mark it +15 to know that you need to add ~15 to what it shows to get closer to the correct reading.
trader_4 wrote:

Hi, If your water is not hard. Digital ATD type humidity sensor hardly ever goes out of calibration.
On Saturday, November 22, 2014 11:56:53 AM UTC-5, Tony Hwang wrote:

Thanks Tony for all the responses and thanks Stormin for helping again! Un fortunately I'm Chinese but I always wished I could understand Korean :D If the flap you were referring to was the damper that controls the air flow from supply to the humidifier(the one that I could control with the horizo ntal/vertical switch), then yes I did double check and make sure it was ful ly on. I've also tried different water flow from the hot water supply, fro m minimum to maximum, humidity output did not change. The humidity monitor I was using was AcuRite 00613A1 Indoor Humidity Monitor. Bought from Amaz on, not sure if it's okay to post links here so I'll just skip that for now . Anyways for the two years since I had it its performance had been satisf actory for me, it was able to sense humidity changes and never fluctuated w hen in a stable environment.
I just found out that the lowest reading this humidity monitor can have was 16%, therefore the hot air I was measuring probably was even lower than 16 %, this is the main thing I was concerned about, and also why I think I mig ht be experiencing something different from other people who has the same u nit.
On Saturday, November 22, 2014 12:54:35 PM UTC-5, Hongyi Kang wrote:

[...]

You said you were measuring the 16% right at the heat register. Keep in mi nd that the air there is much hotter than room temperature. When that air coo ls down to room temp, the humidity will be much higher than 16%. You also sai d that the humidity in the room was 33% and the outside temps were as low as 29F. If you set that unit to 45%, as the outside temp drops, the unit will automatically lower the humidity below 45%, assuming it has the outside tem p sensor connected. When it's in the 20s you probably don't want it above 40 %.
Also, a furnace hunidifier can't humidify when it's not on. If it's not very cold out, then it may not run enough to be able to boost it as high as you want. Depending on how it's wired up, if it runs when the blower is on , you could run the blower constantly for a while to get more humidity out of it. You'll get humidity out, just not quite as much as you would if the furnace was firing. You apparently have hot water going into it, so that will help .
On Saturday, November 22, 2014 1:38:39 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:

:

er

[...]

mind

ools

aid

ll

emp

40%.

as

on,

of it.

ce

lp.
Thanks Trader, your statement about hot air cooling down and then becoming much higher than 16% sounds reasonable, but I'm not sure if this hot/cold a ir difference will be able to account for the difference between the 45% an d 16%. The humidifier should not sense the outside temperature because whe n I had it installed I specifically asked for them to not put in the automa tic one, but the manual one instead. So the humidistat on the return duct is just a round knob pointing to different numbers, no digital display.
So I guess my question boils down to whether the 16% humidity right out of register is reasonable or not, if it is, I probably shouldn't even bother g etting the service guy back in again. But if it's not, I'm thinking whethe r there are other hardware configuration problems involved that they could make improvements on.
Thanks again.
On Saturday, November 22, 2014 2:37:55 PM UTC-5, Hongyi Kang wrote:

te:

ever

[...]

n mind

cools

said

as

will

temp

e 40%.

h as

s on,

t of it.

nace

help.

g much higher than 16% sounds reasonable, but I'm not sure if this hot/cold air difference will be able to account for the difference between the 45% and 16%. The humidifier should not sense the outside temperature because w hen I had it installed I specifically asked for them to not put in the auto matic one, but the manual one instead.
IDK why you would not want the automatic adjustment. I wouldn't buy a unit without it. Otherwise, you have two choices. Keep it set at a humidity appropriate for the coldest temp, which will be less than what you'd likely want most times, or else keep adjusting it as the temperature changes.

ferent numbers, no digital display.
The older models with outside temp compensation look just like that too.

f register is reasonable or not, if it is, I probably shouldn't even bother getting the service guy back in again. But if it's not, I'm thinking whet her there are other hardware configuration problems involved that they coul d make improvements on.

Is the humidifier always on when the furnace is running, ie it's always trying to raise the humidity?
What is the humidity in the house? Getting static shocks? Could be the humidity gauge you're using isn't accurate.
If it's running, you stop it and quickly check the panel, is it wet all over? I suppose if the unit is not level or similar, water could be flowing only over part of the panel. There should be about a pencil size stream of water flowing out the drain hose.
On Saturday, November 22, 2014 2:56:49 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:

rote:

y ever

[...]

in mind

ir cools

so said

ow as

t will

de temp

ove 40%.

not

igh as

is on,

out of it.

urnace

l help.

ing much higher than 16% sounds reasonable, but I'm not sure if this hot/co ld air difference will be able to account for the difference between the 45 % and 16%. The humidifier should not sense the outside temperature because when I had it installed I specifically asked for them to not put in the au tomatic one, but the manual one instead.

it

ly

ifferent numbers, no digital display.

of register is reasonable or not, if it is, I probably shouldn't even both er getting the service guy back in again. But if it's not, I'm thinking wh ether there are other hardware configuration problems involved that they co uld make improvements on.

I didn't want the automatic one because I wanted to be able to adjust it to a higher humidity level when my family really needs it. But again I reall y don't think that is the issue here.
The humidifier is constantly on when the furnace is running, when I set it to 45%, but if I set it to ~30%, it stops.
The humidity guage I was using could possibly be inacurate, but I did have 2 years of experience with it and it had been functioning well, again I'm g etting another one in to make sure, but if you think the whole model is jus t not accurate I probably won't be able to invest more money to get somethi ng better and more accurate.
I tried checking the water panel when it was running, but I could really te ll the difference between wet all over and partly wet, am I supposed to see stream on every single wire or just a very tiny thin layer of water that's hardly observable? Or just drops of water here and there? The draining w ater seemed to all stick to the side of the tubing and not forming a stream .
On Saturday, November 22, 2014 4:51:59 PM UTC-5, Hongyi Kang wrote:

:

e:

dly ever

[...]

ep in mind

air cools

also said

low as

nit will

side temp

above 40%.

s not

high as

er is on,

y out of it.

furnace

ill help.

oming much higher than 16% sounds reasonable, but I'm not sure if this hot/ cold air difference will be able to account for the difference between the 45% and 16%. The humidifier should not sense the outside temperature becau se when I had it installed I specifically asked for them to not put in the automatic one, but the manual one instead.

unit

kely

different numbers, no digital display.

.

ut of register is reasonable or not, if it is, I probably shouldn't even bo ther getting the service guy back in again. But if it's not, I'm thinking whether there are other hardware configuration problems involved that they could make improvements on.

to a higher humidity level when my family really needs it. But again I rea lly don't think that is the issue here.

You can adjust the ones that have compensation for outside temperature, just like you can adjust the one you have. If you want it high, just turn it up. I guess it would prevent you from setting it to 50% when it's 15F outside, but that would seem to be a good thing. What the the ones with o utdoor temp compensation will do is reduce the humidity when it gets cold outside. So, if you have it set to 45% when it's 40 outside, which is reasonable, if the outside temp drops to 20, it w ill reduce it to maybe 35%, which is more appropriate for that temperature, so you don't get condensation at windows, inside walls, etc. If you don't have it done automatically, then you're supposed to be doing that manually. Or else keep it set low enough all the time so that condensation problems never occur.

t to 45%, but if I set it to ~30%, it stops.
So it thinks the actual humidity is at ~35%. Another factor here could be the furnace sizing for the house. You said the house is 1600 sq ft. If the furnace is oversized, ie too large for the house, then it's not going to run very long and the humdifier won't have enough time to put out moistu re. Say a house should have a 70K BTU furnace and instead a 120K BTU furnace is installed. The 100K furnace is going to run a lot less number of minutes under the same conditions than the 70K furnace.

e 2 years of experience with it and it had been functioning well, again I'm getting another one in to make sure, but if you think the whole model is j ust not accurate I probably won't be able to invest more money to get somet hing better and more accurate.

As I said before, if you google you can find a simple procedure to calibrat e them. I've seen 3 of the same or very similar model, side by side, with read outs that are 20%+ different.

tell the difference between wet all over and partly wet, am I supposed to s ee stream on every single wire or just a very tiny thin layer of water that 's hardly observable? Or just drops of water here and there? The draining water seemed to all stick to the side of the tubing and not forming a stre am.
If you take it out and feel it, I would think it should feel wet all over and/or you should be able to see that it's wet all over. There should also be water over the whole top of the distribution tray. Have you placed a level on the unit?
On Saturday, November 22, 2014 6:27:52 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:

te:

ote:

on wrote:

on

ardly ever

[...]

Keep in mind

at air cools

u also said

as low as

unit will

utside temp

t above 40%.

t's not

as high as

ower is on,

ity out of it.

he furnace

will help.

ecoming much higher than 16% sounds reasonable, but I'm not sure if this ho t/cold air difference will be able to account for the difference between th e 45% and 16%. The humidifier should not sense the outside temperature bec ause when I had it installed I specifically asked for them to not put in th e automatic one, but the manual one instead.

a unit

ity

likely

.

to different numbers, no digital display.

oo.

out of register is reasonable or not, if it is, I probably shouldn't even bother getting the service guy back in again. But if it's not, I'm thinkin g whether there are other hardware configuration problems involved that the y could make improvements on.

ys

ll

t to a higher humidity level when my family really needs it. But again I r eally don't think that is the issue here.

outdoor temp compensation will do is reduce

en

will reduce it to maybe 35%, which is more appropriate for that temperatur e, so you don't get condensation at windows, inside walls, etc. If you

on

it to 45%, but if I set it to ~30%, it stops.

ture.

is

ave 2 years of experience with it and it had been functioning well, again I 'm getting another one in to make sure, but if you think the whole model is just not accurate I probably won't be able to invest more money to get som ething better and more accurate.

ate

y tell the difference between wet all over and partly wet, am I supposed to see stream on every single wire or just a very tiny thin layer of water th at's hardly observable? Or just drops of water here and there? The draini ng water seemed to all stick to the side of the tubing and not forming a st ream.

so

I can definitely adjust the humidity level when there is condensation, the thing is, I'm wondering if my humidifier is functioning right. My furnace I believe is a 49,500/76,000 BTU, which I really don't know if it's too much. But if it is, I should probably expect the humidity in house to rise when the weather gets colder? So far we felt the driest and the humidistat gave the lowest reading when the weather was lowest. We can see when it get s really cold how the humidity is, but I really feel that it will just go eve n lower. And that's what I'm worried about right now.
I checked the water panel, it was wet everywhere, and the unit was level as well, the distribution tray had water evenly distributed in it, all the 4 little holes had water going through and downwards.