Anyone use those 12000 BTU portable roll around AC units?

Hello group.. We are building a new house and with the location of the garage, cannot install a wall unit due to restrictions as windows face the street, plus it will only be needed from time to time while working on an antique car..I have seen several models of these new style roll around AC units that have a hose you put into a window..A couple of them have peaked my interest as they claim to expel the moisture thru that exhaust hose so you don't have to empty a container like a dehumidifier and some even have two tubes..Also I have seen some that are actually heat pumps..We are having our garage insulated to help with keeping temp problems down. I understand this unit won't keep the garage cool or warm like the house, my biggest desire is to help keep the humidity down a bit in summer and the chill off in winter...Was hoping someone may have one or have used one...Thanks so much!! John

Reply to
John

Just wondering what about the other wall? Assuming that the door is one wall the street is another and the house is third.

Second what is this going to cost vs. running a duct from your central unit? Providing of course it can handle the load. I would make sure there were dampers installed that can be opened and closed. Better than the grill.

Reply to
SQLit

Well I thought of that, but a friend of ours did that and the unit eventually died, and he had a terrible time finding one that was exactly the same size and being the house is going to have stone, enlarging the hole would be hard to do. Also as mentioned this won't be used regularly so don't need a permanant install..I forgot to mention too, we are having our covered patio enclosed and can be closed off if we want to and thought that it might be nice to use the same unit there if we wanted(screen porch with removable plastic panels for windows, primarliy to put plants in during the winter)...Code won't permit adding a duct from the central AC to the garage, they say it requires it's own system..Also the portable I am looking at is

12,000 BTU both on heat and cool which seems pretty good.. Thanks! John >
Reply to
John
12000 btu wont do much for most garages, Its no big deal cutting through stone and tying in but your system may not handle it. Untill you get a load calculation done you are guessing and possibly throwing away your money
Reply to
m Ransley

You cant do that. A garage must have its own return and own supply system, meaning, a 2nd unit.

Reply to
Carolina Breeze HVAC