Any String Trimmers w/o Centrifugal Clutches?

I liked my old Homelite because I could run it at lower speed without the ear-shattering noise, and it would cut just fine with .95 line in most cases. (It was a single line trimmer.) Or can I defeat the centrifugal clutch on my new Homelite? Thanks. Frank
frank1492 wrote:

Hi, Isn't that a safety issue?
For trimming a straight line, say under a fence or against a wall, you can't beat a scythe.
It's only good against posts depending on your skill - you don't want to bury the tip in the side of the post. A wall self-directs it to the right place, by contrast.
It's no good in enclosed corners, which will leave an arc that you can't get to.
But no gas, no noise, no effort.
I get mine from www.scythesupply.com (no connection except as customer). I cut an acre of lawn with it, but that's maybe a little extreme if it's not an actual hobby.
A couple hundred random pictures over the years http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhhardin/tags/scythe
Get their grass blade unless you're going to cut woody things, and a straight (not bent) snath.
--
snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com

Great idea. (I cut my lawn with a nonmotorized push reel mower).
But I use my string trimmer mostly for edging, and I don't think a scythe would work.
Thanks Steve. BTW to the other poster, I *did* know it was a safety issue. And now to another issue. How do I adjust the carb on my 3-yr old lawnmower? (It surges.) Where do I look for the cap that conceals the adjustment screw, or is there even one? (Its a Briggs.) Oh how I long for the dangerous, too-much-emission years.
On Fri, 08 Jun 2012 10:58:50 -0500, Steve Barker

It probably surges because of the governor, not the carb. Most mowers have a governor that tries to keep the rpm at one point even when the mowing load varies. It will include some sort of "vane" that sticks into the airflow created by the small blades on the top flywheel.