Annoying Wheelbarrow Design

Having purchased a wheelbarrow some years ago of the rather standard design, I never liked it. The design is an "A" frame of 2x2-ish lumber attached to the metal "bucket" area. Ahead of the tire the 2x2's are tied together with a metal cross brace. The problem with the design is that this cross brace is too low and too likely to snag on the ground, especially if the ground is uneven.

A few days ago I finally decided to saw that "nose piece" off, so I did and the result seems quite adequate, and MUCH LESS ANNOYING. If I ever decide to add strengthening perhaps I'll build a brace above the tire or add angle iron to the bottom of the wooden frame, but I doubt that will be necessary.

Reply to
Dave

I agree that the current wheelbarrows are badly designed, especially with the cheap wood and the undersized wheel they use. It is difficult for anyone over 5' 4" to use. I have an 30 year old wheelbarrow that has a tubular steel frame. The frame is not straight but curves to put the handles at a correct height and to put the nose at its correct height, and has a large steel wheel with inflated rubber tire. It was not expensive when I bought it, but I cannot find an equivalent to replace it with, even the large size replacement wheels for it seemed to dissappeared from the market.

Reply to
Eric Tonks

OK, Dave, now load that sucker right up full with wet concrete, wheel it somewhere that you want to dump it, and without using a wheel chock, dump it right where you want it.

Bet you fail. That brace is there for a reason - to use as a pivot point for dumping.

JE

Reply to
Jon Endres, PE

Is the wheelbarrow assembled properly? The axle should be mounted below the wood. I've seen one that was mounted above the wood, causing the problem you were having.

Just a thought.

Frank

Reply to
Frank K.

More likely I would snag the nose somewhere, lose my balance, and dump a good portion of the load on my way to the desired location. It is a trade off, surely, but I just don't do much precision dumping, day to day.

Reply to
Dave

I have a wheelbarrow with the exact same design issue. If you go over the slightest bump on rough terrain it grounds out.

I cut the lumber shorter and reinstalled the brace. It's closer to the wheel, but since the tire doesn't grow, it's not a problem. I suppose one day I'll bend it and it will rub - and then the claw hammer will have a job to do.

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob