Amateur-built homes faling down

Page 1 of 2
"RESIDENTS of a model housing estate bankrolled by Hollywood celebrities and hand-built by Jimmy Carter, the former US president, are complaining that it is falling apart.
"Fairway Oaks was built on northern Florida wasteland by 10,000 volunteers, including Carter, in a record 17-day "blitz" organized by the charity Habitat for Humanity.
"Eight years later it is better known for cockroaches, mildew and mysterious skin rashes."
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article5439388.ece
I don't see how volunteers could be responsible for the cockroaches...

It would be funny if it was not so sad. I often wonder how well built the houses are on Extreme Makeover. It may be possible to build a house in 7 days, but that does not mean it is smart to do so. It takes time to install plumbing systems, etc, no matter how many people.
10,000 volunteers is just to many to manage over 17 days.

I have often wondered how well some of those quick rebuilds hold up. I have seen some of the house flipping programs and in a week or two the whole house has been rebuilt. Doesn't it take time for the plaster to dry before painting ? Maybe more time for other things to setup such as the floor tiles.

I have participated in more than one "Parade of Homes" or "Builder/Remodeler Showcase" type of projects over the years.
Way to many people working too closely together to try and meet some unrealistic deadline. I have installed drapery hardware over wall paper that had only been on the wall for a literal minute. Witnessed so many shortcuts being taken by others because of the need for speed.
My advice is to Never Ever buy one of those homes.

Your drapery hardware may have been holding the paper in place.
I can see where having a good plan and experienced people you can get certain things done very fast. If you sweat a joint, it is only seconds and it is as set as it well ever be. Drywall mud, concrete, paint, tile adhesives all take a little time to cure or set. A 3500 sq. ft. house in a week is too fast for me.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I wonder how well set the concrete is on the foundations and basement walls that have been pored? Do they have an onsite inspector, geez it takes me a couple of days to get one out to look at my work.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"

I did read that on Home Makeover they have an inspector on site all the time for just that reason.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yeah, and I'm sure the inspector doesn't ever get pressure to approve shoddy construction just to meet the show's shooting schedule.
That sounds about as ill-thought-out as the decision by some local governments in Florida to allow developers to hire their own inspectors, in order to save themselves time and the gov't money. I wouldn't touch a house that passed inspection by the same company that built it. Talk about a conflict of interest.
HellT

You buy cars and TVs that way- furniture and appliances too. Even much of your FOOD is inpected by inspectors employed by the packing company.

You make it sound like municipal inspectors were actually looking at anything. During the boom they were leaving the office with 30-40 inspections a day, spread out over a 40 mile long territory. Believe me, they didn't do much real inspecting. They looked at the "thing of the day" and moved on.
On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 09:51:22 -0500, "Colbyt"

Haste makes waste !!!!
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Heh!
I was once invited to invest in a sand pit. The promoter said there would not be a proft, but there would be a huge tax benefits. Here's how the scheme worked:
1. As sand was sold from the sand pit, investors had a tangible asset that could be depreciated (the sand). 2. When the sand was exhausted, investors now had a big, honkin' hole in the ground. The company could charge folks to dump stuff in the hole (concrete, tree stumps, etc.). This asset (the hole) could now be depreciated as the asset was used up by people dumping stuff. 3. When the hole was almost filled, the site would be covered with topsoil and sold to a developer as a low-cost housing site.
I passed and invested my money in swamp reclamation - displaced alligators don't sue.

The Habitat houses in our area are very well built - with perhaps fewer deficiencies than many "pro-built" homes. There are always well qualified supervisors making sure it is done right. The fact that the majority of these homes go to low-income families who have in most cases never owned a home or lived in one for more than a few years at a time means there is often a lower level of maintenance on some of them. That said, the pride of ownership shown by many Habitat home recipients in our area is incredible.
Also, building on Florida swampland almost guarantees cockroaches and mildew. I've been in "high class " hotels in Florida where the coackroaches would almost carry your luggage out for you.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Don't the Habitat home applicants have to agree to a set of conditions, one of which is a seminar on home maintenance? If so, decay would seem to be a matter of will rather than skill.
On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 13:44:23 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Walt Disney bought the best property, years ago.

You can do the same thing in New Jersey, except the bed vibrates without a quarter being inserted.

That is because South of the Frost Line where the ground never Freezes", cockroaches are able to stay alive indefinitely.
Dick
On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 03:42:07 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Dick Adams) wrote:

I'm amazed how a cockroach lives in the Mojave Desert, but they do. More than you can imagine. Don't feed them concrete.

I think that might be because part of the n'hood was built over a trash dump, which seems in one case to be immediately below a kitchen.
OTOH, I don't see how one bad set of 86 homes, now matter how bad it was (and the article says some people say they're ok) could "challenge the bedrock philosophy behind Habitat for Humanity, claiming that using volunteers, rather than professional builders, is causing as many problems as it solves." You would need a lot more valid complaints spread out over a lot more projects to even start to do this.

mm wrote:

Especially since most of the 'professional builders' have been using unskilled laborers to save themselves money while building shoddy homes. Heck, a lot of the folks who've been building homes never lived in houses with electricity or running water before coming to the US, much less ever built them before. Hence all the product-defect class action suits being filed against major homebuilders in the past few years.
HellT

Habitat is negligent and did not give them their food, work, free medical, clean the houses, take out the garbage, shower the kids, give them a car, camera and playstation.